Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,699 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hughes sacked, it was only a matter of time, should be his last job in the premier league.

Agreed – he’s hopeless. Constantly moaning. Part of the Moyes/Allardyce/Pardew niche who seem to end up with decent jobs having done very little to merit them.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Hughes was going to be sacked regardless of the Man U result. New manager “announced” as his car left the Southampton car park!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FA Cup Draw up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46429233

Non-league Solihull Moors will host 13-time winners Arsenal in the third round of the FA Cup – if they beat League One Blackpool in their second-round replay.

National League North Southport will entertain Tottenham if they beat League Two Tranmere in their replay, while Woking will play Watford.

Holders Chelsea start at home to Nottingham Forest, while Premier League leaders Manchester City host Rotherham.

Liverpool go to Wolves, and Manchester United host Reading.

binners

I watched that with Mrs Binners on the news last night, both o us absolutely incredulous that the bloke had got confused as to whether he was on stage awarding the ballon d’or had found himself in a Benny Hill sketch?

Anyway… After another press conference rambling more absolute gibberish, Jose is getting his excuses in early. Apparently Arsenal only being in the Europa league is just, like SOOOOO not fair because they get to rest players and you can’t if you’re in the Champions League. Its not something you’ll have to worry about for too much longer Jose.

I’m hoping we’ll be watching his last match in charge tonight. I can’t se us getting anything tonight given our form compared to Arsenals.. Anything less than embarrassing/played off the park would be a bonus. Though to be honest I think that most of us would happily take an absolute tonking (highly likely anyway) if it meant seeing the back of Maureen

There was a pretty accurate article on where United are as a team in Mondays Guardian…

United players are drowning in José Mourinho’s sea of negativity

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Lot of injuries too. I can’t see past an Arsenal win but then Utd beat Juventus away a few weeks ago.

binners

He always seems to pull a result out when everyones saying that he’s one loss away from sacking.

Can’t see us getting owt tonight though. I’d rather see us lose (we’re going to, anyway) and him go, if I’m honest.

This has already gone on far too long. The football is bloody awul, and he’s just totaly lost the script. He was right in one of his rambling, nonsensical observations though…. we’ve no chance of top four this season. Though apparently thats not his fault? Nothing to do with me, guv!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

We haven’t won at OT since 2006  (other than on the way to the FA Cup a few years ago) so Utd are the favourites in my book.   Mental block for Arsenal so it will be fascinating to see what happens.  One thing I will say, I am looking forward to this, which honestly you don’t know how important that is. the last 10 years have just been ‘oh christ off we go to OT’. Win or lose, that change in attitude for us Gooners is huge.

It’s always been a thing of mine that if you want to win the league you win at OT and Anfield.

binners

The thing is, OT isn’t what it was. In the past, you knew teams were scared to come here. With good reason. A loss at Old Trafford was rare. It is indeed psychological . Most teams have lost before they’ve even got of the bus. Or are hoping to grind out a draw, at best

Now? We’re there for the taking. Anyone has got to fancy their chances. We’re bloody awful! And getting worse by the week. Particularly our shonky, cobbled together defence. Shipping goals left, right and centre, and totally toothless at the other end. I HATE Jose’s ‘style’ of football. Always have. If you’re going to shut games down and bore the opposition to death then it helps if you’re defence is less headless-chickeny. Yet there’s no way he’ll change it. Despite it not only being dreadful to watch, but also now totally ineffective

If Southampton smashed two past us in the opening 20 minutes, then I bet Aubameyang can’t bloody wait for kick off!

As you can tell, I’m not confident. And its a horrible cold wet evening in Manchester to go and stand out in and watch another no doubt dire performance. I might stay in the pub 😉

MSP

then I bet Aubameyang can’t bloody wait for kick off!

I shipped him into my fantasy team this week and made him captain, I am banking on him getting a hattrick tonight.

blader1611
    Free Member

I have to say i agree with you binners, i hope we get a tonking and sack the idiot. He hasnt a positive bone in his body and generally has nothing nice to say about anyone. I guess he wont get sacked till its mathematically impossible for us to finish in the top 4. That way a clause in his contract stipulating CL football will have been broken and United can get rid with a smaller compensation package,its all about the money. Back to the game and with most of our injuries in defence i cant see anyway we can stop an inform attacking team. If injuries are as bad as they seem i expect a very bizarre back line today, may be even a recall for Wes Brown! We may end up with an all midfield defence tonight but remember its not Jose fault.

weeksy

they still have Wes Brown ? No way !

binners

Ian Wright was bang on on Monday night. He said exactly what you’ve just said. If United was a football club he’d have been sacked weeks ago. But its not. Not any more. Its a business. And all decisions made are primarily business decisions. The football is incidental. They’d be selling fridge freezers if they thought they couldd make more cash doing that.

So you’re right. They’re waiting until the maths mean they can save a bit of cash getting shut of him. They couldn’t give a monkeys whats going on on the pitch.

MSP

The thing is, how much cash is lost from the sponsorship deals if they don’t make next years CL, sponsorship of united at the moment isn’t a good deal for the sponsors. I suspect the bottom line is it will cost more to keep him than sack him (and IMO they could possibly sack him without compensation with his behavior).

It looks like all but a couple of the players want to jump ship, and at the moment no world class players will want to go there. They will have to offer twice the wages of everyone else to get a player in.

mrmoofo

Great result for The Seagulls last night …

Even better that it was Palarse ….

Stunning third goal!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone else going for their lowest Fantasy Football score at the moment – my entire team seems to have been sent home

binners

Looks like we’ve got something resembling a defence. Valencia ‘s back! 😃

theotherjonv

I don’t even support either side but I’m so excited for this!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Come on you Gunners!   When was the last time Man U lost 0-3 at home ? 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Man u on the TV but an eye on Newcastle start g well at Everton

Edit spoke too soon

theotherjonv

Cursed that, Mike!

theotherjonv

Best goalkeeper in the world

ransos
    Free Member

That didn’t last long!

theotherjonv

have they increased the size of the pitch by 50% in the last 10 minutes? Half the players are suffering agoraphobia!

senorj

I’m watching the Man Utd game…“Dick” Emery is a dead ringer for Alan Partridge.

Especially when the second equaliser went in….ha

theotherjonv

on the basis arsenal can’t hold a lead more than about 30 seconds, they’re planning a winner in the 96th minute.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well solid point for Newcastle and only half our lot booked…..

Man U are just an interesting game at the moment, how they can be so inconsistent is still a mystery

theotherjonv

that was one heck of a finish to not count!

binners

Well we didn’t get tonked!

which means José is apparently safe for a bit longer. Every silver lining, and all that.

Other than the two howlers to gift them the two goals, we didn’t look too bad. Let the handbrake off a bit. Great to get straight back in it after each though.

Then Jose decided to stop all that attacking nonsense and bring on hair’n’elbows, lukaku and Pogba and we looked our usual pedestrian sideways/sideways/backwards selves. It just killed the game. We were trying to work out what formation we were meant to be playing after that. All over the shop! No threat at all after that. Looks like he’d basically settled for a point. Hopeless! No urgency. No pace. Just lump it long to the big (totally ineffective) lump up front. He’s the new Emile Heskey!

There was very vocal frustration and lots of swearing round OT for not even looking like going for the jugular when we were back in it. Just sat back. Same as against Southampton. With the same result!

One thing that was winding everyone up was the shameless diving and time wasting by Arsenal though. Especially from the bloke who’s nicked Fellaini’s hair!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fellaini did make an effort to get some of his hair back and should have been given a red card for it.

Some comedy defending and goalkeeping from both sides for the goals though. Enjoyed that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep fellani should have been off there and sitting on the side for 3 games.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Don’t forget Rojo’s second two footed lunge in recent weeks.

Hoping Holding is ok but I fear he is banjaxed

blader1611
    Free Member

What a difference it makes when you put very mobile players in the team instead of one paced showboaters. United almost looked recognisable again, we were quicker moving the ball and quicker to close down. The players look like they wanted to play for the team rather than worrying about what they looked like individually,less ego’s worked for me. I hope he doesnt change the team for the next game. Dalot was a bit under par but that is to be expected with such little game time so he will get better plus we then dont have to watch valencia.

binners

Yep… definite red. Should have been off. In mitigation: The amount of throwing himself at the floor and rolling around like he’d been shot that Guenduozi had been doing all match though? He’d been asking for that. Nice to see some variety and imagination coming into Fellainis fouling though. It was a bit different to the usual elbow in the face 😉

And you’re right about the total comedy value of the defending from both sides Bravissimo.

The amount of times Rojo played the ball square across his own box had everyone with their heads in their hands

binners

Great result for Wolves against Chelski!  That Gibbs-White kid had a brilliant game. He looks about 12

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

whataboutism Binners 🙂 . I also remember Fellaini moaning about having his hair pulled a few years ago  , oh the ironing!

Decent result for us really considering this is the beginning of project emery. can’t see Utd getting top four  but Arsenal will have a blip of course, Chelsea currently are…!  Liverpool will too. although i doubt City will!  Although we of course will smash them at The Etihad to keep the invincibles legacy intact . hopefully

theotherjonv

Interesting comments Binners….. might be the echo chamber effect of being in the Utd fans at OT last night.  I watched on the box and I’m normally the first to yell at diving and simulation and I didn’t pick that up particularly from Guenduozi. In fact, I thought he had an excellent game, sat in the midfield picking up from the back three and then supporting the front men as well. Always seemed to be available for the ball, very impressive for a 19 year old – and United seemed intent on physicality to try to put him off that game plan.

Great game for the neutral, the defensive coaches will have been awake with nightmares all night.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be fair, you’re not going to get the full picture of the amount of simulation in a game from MoTD highlights.

Loved the result at Wolves – but that was a cast iron penalty & red card for the challenge on Morata – 0-2 would have been a different game completely.

Disappointed to see Klopp whinging about protecting his players. You’re at a misty Turf Moor, Burnley are battling hard to rescue their season – what do you expect? Respect? Let’s not have this whiney Guardiola type bitching about “protecting my players.” The challenge on Gomez wasn’t terrible – he’s unlucky. And Moreno “made the most” of the challenge by (I think) Bardsley. Given the stuff Gerrard got away with over the years… A couple of early yellows in the game would have calmed things down a bit.

Burnley’s goal was hilarious – a bit of a throwback to some of Liverpool’s panicky defending of recent years. Not sure Allison was really at fault – bit of a whoopsie moment but his “this is not going out for a corner” moment and throw out to Studge in the last few minutes to start the move for Shaq’s goal was proper goalkeeping.

Title still City’s to lose. The chasers need them to go through a bad run and I can’t see that happening.

theotherjonv

To be fair, you’re not going to get the full picture of the amount of simulation in a game from MoTD highlights.

True, you only see what the camera / director shows, but I did watch the whole game on BT Sport, and in turn you get to see the replays and see where he was getting sly little kicks and the like, whereas live you don’t get the replays but do get the ‘benefit’ of 40,000 other people’s opinion about his cheating.

I’m not criticising Binners, I’ve been to far to many games as a partisan fan, absolutely howled along with the crowd* at someone / the ref over an incident and then seen it later on TV and thought ‘er, actually……’

* although being a Reading fan, be aware ‘howled at’ means expressed mild disapproval, and ‘crowd’ means about 7 people currently.

binners

He did have a great game. He’s a cracking player. Caused us problems all over the pitch. But he did seem to have a touch of the Neymar about his theatrics at times.

There was certainly much hilarity when Fellaini gave him a tug back, particularly as a guy a few rows back from us had been loudly (and not remotely seriously) shouting PULL HIS HAIR!!! all match 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,699 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season’ is closed to new replies.