Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • dander

Yep, assuming Southampton are down, it’s two from four. Hopefully Everton will go.

Re Man U – Rashford’s goals have dried up a bit and they have very few other regular scorers, aside from Bruno chipping in.

binners

I know that players get a lot of criticism, a lot of it unfair, but this is a really nice video of Declan Rice after the match last night. He always comes across as a top bloke and he would have been in a good mood after his MOTM performance and a thoroughly deserved 3 points

binners

Right… Whats going on?

I’ve just flicked the Everton game on and they’re 3 up against Brighton before half time? Fulham beat Leicester 5-3

The end to the season is going to be absolutely nuts by the looks of things

MoreCashThanDash

Blimey, not surprised at 3-0 but was expecting Everton to be at the wrong end of it!

binners

4 now 😳

Caher

Been watching it. Looks like lozenger dodger Sean Dyche is pulling them out of the swamp.

dander

Tonight is tasty as well. Lots of goals!

binners

A proper relegation scrap, three 6-pointer matches, 21 goals 😳

Caher

Two words that go together of late: Reading lost.

scratch
    Free Member

I don’t think I can take another 3 games of that…we went from potentially 5-2 to 4-3 in minutes.

MGW flick on was Bryan Roy’esque.

MSP

When Southampton were promoted to the PL, they were the team that were well run, developing players selling them on to champions league clubs for big profits, but it slowly faded as they lost the backroom staff and manager that lead it all. Then Leicester took a turn, rode their luck to actually win the PL, but they recruited well and built a really good team, but as the big teams picked off their star players they couldn’t keep repeating the recruitment success.

Now it’s Brighton, I wonder how long they can ride the wave. I think it gets harder to buy good players cheaply when you get that reputation, the selling clubs will want more, other clubs will shadow your moves and compete for the same signings. So even when you have the money to reinvest from big sales, the success rate of the signings dwindle. Plus the backroom deal makes also get moves to bigger clubs.

muggomagic

Now it’s Brighton, I wonder how long they can ride the wave. I think it gets harder to buy good players cheaply when you get that reputation, the selling clubs will want more, other clubs will shadow your moves and compete for the same signings. So even when you have the money to reinvest from big sales, the success rate of the signings dwindle. Plus the backroom deal makes also get moves to bigger clubs.

I’m sure that we will have a dip at some point but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts as we’re just so good to watch atm (didn’t enjoy last night at the Amex too much mind).

Southampton were run really well by Markus Liebherr and since his death they’ve had a couple of different owners and the decline has come after that.

The one thing we’ve got going in our favour though is that our owner is a lifelong supporter and the brains behind it all and one of the things we’ve done better than most is succession planning for everyone at the club, players and staff alike and hopefully that extends to if anything were to happen to Tony Bloom.

MoreCashThanDash

Forest fans in the office seem to think all their birthdays came at once this weekend 🤣

muggomagic

I went to Forest away a couple of weeks back and I genuinely hope they stay up. Great old stadium with really noisy support.

It’s been a mental season with loads of random results so I wouldn’t be surprised if come the final game of the season 16-19 in the league are all on the same points and it comes down to goal difference.

inkster
    Free Member

I was wrong about Dyche and Everton, thought they were dead in the water when I saw them against Man U. I might have even refered to their tactics as ‘Burnley Ball’. I take it back.

My comments about de Gea in that game weren’t so wrong though…

argee

It would be weird to see 3 teams going down with none of the promoted sides in that, Leicester are looking in trouble, with the amount of talent they have it’s weird, hell this season has been weird.

I do think there’s a bigger and bigger gap starting between the EPL and Championship though, which is correlating with the money unfortunately.

Caher

Must be awful if you’ve paid loads of money to watch a game and find yourself under a huge banner.

dander

Don’t usually want City to win but I hope they stuff Real.

ElShalimo

City were excellent tonight. Real were very lucky not to get more bookings. Apart from a 10-15 mins spell in the 2nd half Citeh were much the better team

alanl
    Free Member

And, in a parallel universe, Annan Athletic had their best performance of the season by beating Dumbarton 6-0 in the first leg of the Scottish Div. 2 play off semi final. They play the 2nd leg on Saturday, then the 2 legged final Tuesday and Friday next week against Clyde or East Fife.

Caher

Another good ref tonight allowing the game to flow and ignoring tantrums and simulation.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It was 40 years ago today, the last team to beat Real Madrid in a European final. Leighton, Miller, McLeish, Rougvie, McMaster, Strachan, Cooper, Simpson, Weir, McGhee, Black and the super sub Hewitt. All led by some fella called Ferguson, whatever happened to him. Stand free.

Caher

Last team to break the Old Firm monopoly on the Scottish Premier League.

dander

Good article on the guardian website about it. Team was all Scots, eldest 28. Seems Fergie mellowed a bit by the time he was United manager!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Both Sky and BBC have programmes on tonight. Tom English has done a really good podcast interview with Willie miller and the Scottish Football podcast did one with Richard Gordon that gives a fantastic fans side of it.

argee

Last team to break the Old Firm monopoly on the Scottish Premier League.

You had Dundee United as well, they were the ‘new’ firm at the time, back in the 80s clubs weren’t run very well, Celtic nearly went to the wall because of their board, rangers survived by being bought out by Murray, and we know how that ended for them.

I do miss seeing teams having strong players in their squads like in the early 80s, United had half a dozen of the Scottish team in their ranks, so did Aberdeen.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My first match I went to was Dundee UTD V borussia mönchengladbach at Tannadice after they beat Barcelona. My family weren’t football fans but my cousin’s uncle was a united season ticket holder and took us. They were really unlucky not to win a European trophy. A wonderful era.

argee

Yeah, not an era we’ll ever see again i’m afraid, not even Celtic or Rangers can keep hold of their young players now, the minute they hit 16 and are any good, an EPL side is offering them big contracts.

Caher

I’d love to see Celtic in the premier League, they’d become a proper big club then. They could keep a B side in Scotland. Seems to work in Italy I seem to recall. Don’t think it will ever happen though.

PrinceJohn

CaherFull Member
    I’d love to see Celtic in the premier League, they’d become a proper big club then. They could keep a B side in Scotland. Seems to work in Italy I seem to recall. Don’t think it will ever happen though.

A bit like Newcastle Utd? If that ever happened it would cheapen the Scottish League.

Maybe they could join in the 3rd division?

Cletus
    Free Member

Celtic moving to the Premier League might make the rest of Scottish football more interesting with Hibs, Hearts etc. maybe competing for the title but equally it might kill the league. Not really sure where I stand on it.

Would the majority of Celtic fans want that move given that it would probably mean no trophies or European football in the short term and would they be ok to go to the Championship (and maybe lower) if the finish in the relegation spaces? I am dubious that they would survive if they somehow played in the English Premier League next season.

MSP

How about the winner of the Scottish league gets a play off place to get promoted to the premier league.

Then its not just Celtic and Rangers but all the Scottish clubs get a chance. Obviously it is relegation that would take a bit more working out, but I am sure it could work. I expect the Scottish football authorities would be against it, as they would lose control of their biggest teams and paydays. But I wonder if the fans would also be against it, big matchdays against PL teams vs tradition and safety.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You wouldn’t be able to have one without the other, the ugly sisters come as a pair and TV companies wouldn’t want to see that broken up.  Celtic would probably be mid table in the EPL as they are but they would be able to attract big name players pretty quickly once they got their share of the big money.  I’d be happy to see the back of them, I think the Scottish game would be a happier place without their baggage, I’ve been to Pittodrie a couple of times to watch Rangers matches and it’s not the friendliest of atmospheres, possibly even more so now that away fans are banned from the Glasgae derbies.</p>

binners

After the last time we had the pleasure of hosting the delightful Rangers fans, they’d be in for one hell of a reception in Manchester. I imagine most places would be equally as happy to see them or be looking forward to the return leg

i suppose it boils down to the question ‘do you believe that the Premier League would be enhanced by the presence of a gang of obnoxious sectarian bell ends?’

dander

It’s a non starter as it stands currently – the Premier League would never vote for their admission. And why would Championship clubs want potential places taken up by a team from another country.

The only way I could see it happen is if the leagues all fragmented with a European super league in place. Which is what the big English clubs were after. Money talks.

binners

There is no Eoropean Superleague unless everyone fancies watching  Real and Juventus play each other every week

MSP

How did this Brighton team lose 5-1 to Everton last week, they have been brilliant today.

binners

Looks like the title is Citeh’s then

Brighton played Arsenal off the park today. They were brilliant! Arsenal looked like they’ve just completely run out of steam

MoreCashThanDash

How did this Brighton team lose 5-1 to Everton last week, they have been brilliant today.

My Leeds supporting mate has said the same. Thinks it’s another conspiracy against his darling club. Still, you’d be paranoid if everyone hated you.

Klunk
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.