Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • dander

A winner in Fergie time, you love to see it.

The Arse are the real deal! Win win of those games against City and I can’t see them losing the league.

If Anthony is worth £86m (obviously he isn’t!), what would Saka and Rashford be!!?

argee

Think Antony is a great player, but he’s being played a little weird for me, and having that post WC slump, he’s also got Wan-Bissaka on the right wing, so not much overlapping or dummy runs to help him, Wan-Bissaka is doing well defensively now, but he’s never going to be the overlapping full back, i see him progressing to centre back at some point and doing well there.

We’ll see what ManU do in the summer, could be a new owner, they have a fair few surplus who can be shipped out to free up funds as well to rejig that team a little more.

Have to say though, Saka is on a different level to other wingers just now, it’s weird but there’s few who take on and pass defenders, he does it for fun and has a good cross and shot, Martinelli has fallen away a little which shows how good Saka is and how reliable he’s been.

binners

Arsenal look like a genuine title-winning side.

They’ve got some great players. Saka is unplayable on this form. He just does what he likes and nobody seems to have an answer to him

We didn’t look too shabby but they had us pinned back for pretty much the whole second half. We’re heading in the right direction. The difference from the start of the season is huge. We’re a way off title challengers but looking good for a top 4 finish, which I wouldn’t have expected given the total shambles we were at the end of last season

We still need a clear out of players who were never up to it who we hugely overpaid for, so we’ll take a massive hit, but it’s looking like a proper United squad at least

Absolutely brilliant game though. I’ve missed the proper United Arsenal ding dongs 😃

blackhat
    Free Member

I was there and it was a fantastic atmosphere, just like the old days. Can we keep it up…? I am still concerned that if it comes to forcing a late winner Man City have more options than us, but then Eddie came up with the goods in Fergie time today.

dander

The bench is thin compared to City’s but everyone’s is. If they get lucky with injuries I think they can do it – good as well the first game v City is at home, a walloping away could affect momentum.

argee

The good thing for Arsenal just now is the starting 11 pick themselves, and you have the likes of Smith-Rowe back now, Trossard signed and Jesus must only be a few games away from being back. The one area of concern would be the centre back position, but they’re signing Kiwior, so there’s cover coming in.

Man City have a scary squad, but they do have that problem of having to keep them all happy, there’s a lot of experienced players on that bench who would walk into anyone else’s team.

Anyway, Tottenham tonight, reports from Italy stating Conte is looking for the exit just now, i don’t think it’s anything sinister, but everyone knew he never really stayed in a job long and always yearned for life back in Italy when he was at Chelsea.

MSP

The bench is thin compared to City’s but everyone’s is. If they get lucky with injuries I think they can do it – good as well the first game v City is at home, a walloping away could affect momentum.

A lot of the city players were good when they came into the team, but have been improved to be great players by Pep. I think we can see the same thing happening at Arsenal now. I still think Xhaka’s temperament is a weak link, spurs targeted him and he was close to the edge, his outbursts affected younger players and lead to Gabriel getting sent off losing the match for them against city last year. Rumours this morning that Rice now favours the gooners over Chelsea, if that happens they will be even more formidable.

theotherjonv

I know that given it’s FA cup this week it’s practically end of Jan, but we’re still only 19 or 20 games in. I’d rather be where Arsenal are than Man City but there are a lot of games left to play.

neilnevill
    Free Member

There are indeed. Although as a spurs fan I’m worried about arsenal form!

Akers

…but then Eddie came up with the goods in Fergie time today.

Nketiah scored in the 90th minute, Fergie Time starts at about 95+ minutes. 😉

scuttler

Loving watching Saka through and post World Cup. Such a brilliant talent and incredible role model.

This… (from Jonathan Liew in Guardian)

Bukayo Saka had five shots in this game. Either Mikel Arteta has told him to be more direct or he has worked it out for himself. Defenders are standing off him. They’re terrified to commit. Simply by reputation, Saka has earned the extra yard of space that all wingers crave.

argee

The thing about Saka is his confidence to entice defenders, you see him offering the chance for them to try and nick the ball, but they know if they miss he’s past them with his pace and movement, he’s the best at it right now, the thing about Arsenal is you see this in one side, you have Martinelli on one side who doesn’t quite have that confidence, so can see just how good Saka is at the moment.

It does remind me, where is Jadon Sancho these days, he was like this a couple of years back, maybe not the same outright pace, but he could pass a player and get a good shot at goal, or spot a pass, ManU really messed this lad up, and he was full of potential.

binners

Defenders are standing off him. They’re terrified to commit.

Luke Shaw doesn’t normally need much of an invitation to go in hard on attackers, but he was backing off and backing off, scared to go in on him. And having played with him at England, thats probably on account of what he’s done to him in training

It does remind me, where is Jadon Sancho these days, he was like this a couple of years back, maybe not the same outright pace, but he could pass a player and get a good shot at goal, or spot a pass, ManU really messed this lad up, and he was full of potential.

He’s been injured for a lot of this season, but expected back soon. He’s certainly another victim of the shambolic, scattergun transfer policy at Old Trafford over recent seasons, where players are bought by someone in the boardroom without any apparent communication with whoever the manager is this week, or consideration to where they fit into the team. Van De Beek is another one.

But Ten Hag has improved so many players over such a short period that hopefully we’ll soon have Sancho back in the squad and looking like the player he was in Germany

argee

Would like to see Sancho back, he has a level head about him in the game, think he’s down as personal issues just now rather than injured, the knock back from the WC2022 squad and the dismal time he’s had aren’t helping, would’ve been a good candidate to get a loan until the end of season in Germany or Spain, anywhere but England.

Anyway, ManU need a proper forward now, if they are taken over i’d bet there’ll be a glitzy one, a la Kane or the likes, just stop him going in reverse on the field and it’d certainly push ManU to be challengers 😂

MSP

With arsenal and united looking rejuvenated and Newcastle building, I think Chelsea and Liverpool will struggle to get back in the top 4 if they slip out for a season. Chelsea probably have the better chance with the squad they have, but Liverpool are going to struggle to attract the quality they need to rebuild their midfield without CL football.

martinhutch

It’s shaping up to be a great season. I love it when clubs that haven’t had much recent PL success are in the mix.

theotherjonv

I love it when clubs that haven’t had much recent PL success are in the mix.

Before I get shot down, it’s not a suggestion, and i don’t even know how we could make anything like it work given we don’t have the High school -> College -> Draft system, we do have issues of players wanting to play in European competition, etc. and not wanting to miss out on that in the prime of their careers, etc.

But the US system of salary caps and also that the ‘worst’ teams get first picks of the rising talent so that you don’t get total dominance does have some attractions.

johndoh
    Free Member

So Fat Frank has gone (no surprise there).

binners

Somewhat predictably, Lampard is gone.

I wonder which mug will be daft enough to take on that particular basket case of a club?

Seriously… who on earth would want that job at the moment?

Caher

So looks ever likely now that Frank and StevieG will form the next dynamic double act. Like Gerard Houllier and Lee Evans. Or launch the Golden Generation Arms.
    If I had their money I’d ride my bike all day in Andalusia and Ibiza.

dander

Sean Dyche to the rescue! Lampard should stick to the TV studios I think.

MSP

I think Dyche could have laid a foundation if they had given the job to him when they appointed Lampard, but the whole club looks broken now, and I don’t see him rescuing it.

binners

I just can’t see why anyone would take the job. Its absolutely staggering to look at the money they’ve spent, then look at their present squad. It just does not compute. Where the hell have they spent the thick end of half a billion quid?! 😳 They’re a pub side! In the last 3 years the club has posted losses just shy of 400 million quid

The board are absolutely despised by the fans (with good reason by the looks of it) and the atmosphere at matches is completely toxic.

I’m sure the likes of Dyche must have had more tempting offers than that. Surely he wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole?

dander

New stadium is a shambles too. Yep, be a brave move to take the job, even though they are a ‘big club.’ Dyche is unfashionable though, so he may not get many other offers in the Premier League, at least.

binners

They’re saying that their number 1 target is Bielsa

They’re going to end up with Steve Bruce, aren’t they? 😂

MSP

Ken Bruce is available.

Caher

Big Sam might be available too.

chestrockwell

They’re saying that their number 1 target is Bielsa

They can say what they want but god only takes on new jobs in the summer.

Everton have a better squad than their position suggests and Lampard is a terrible manager, a fraud. As long as they choose wisely I reckon they won’t go down.

argee

They need someone fast and someone available to fight this battle, Dyche is a great candidate, give him until the end of the season and work from there, Bielsa is a good manager, but that much tinkering with tactics for a side at the wrong end of the table, and with struggles across the park in terms of form and ability.

They’re in a proper relegation battle against teams just as big as them, you have West Ham, Wolves, Leicester and Leeds down there just now, looks like there’ll be a big scalp in the relegation zone by the end of the season.

binners

The stadium announcers updates about the tubes into central London are actually more interesting than watching Spurs

All they do is fall over a lot and complain to the ref even more. It’s ****ing dire!

Apparently Kane has become their highest goalscorer. Does anybody actually care? There’s about the same chance of me winning owt as him

argee

Kane’s a great player, but an absolute muppet for trying to get opposition players in trouble or sent off, think he gives the ref more advice than his teammates during a game.

Caher

He’s a diver. He may one day Shearer’s record but he’s not half the player.

binners

How many of Kanes goals have come from dives to ‘win’ penalties?

And what is this thing with Spurs players not only diving when anyone comes anywhere near them, but then appealing for cards when there’s barely been any contact, if any at all? Refs need to start carding them for doing it

I was always meh about Spurs, mid-table side that they are, but I’m starting to really dislike them watching them carry on worse than Porto under Morhino. It’s anti-football and it’s bloody awful to watch

Caher

Yeah, Porto under Mourinho: they were awful against Celtic all those years ago.

MSP

Now they are going to start (or trial at least) the conversations between ref and var, it would also be good for the refs to be miked up to reveal the conversations between ref and players, revealing what whiney brats they are might shut some of them up.

StirlingCrispin

Darvel !!
    What a result.

argee

Refs need to start carding them for doing it

Think Bentancur got a yellow for discussing why a Fulham player should have got a second yellow too much.

With Kane, i think it’s the weird England Captain thing, Shearer used to get away with stuff and allowed to discuss more with ref’s, same with Henderson and those before (ok, maybe not Rooney 🤣), think we need to really start taking a leaf out of Rugby’s book in terms of dealing with the officials.

muggomagic

He’s a diver. He may one day Shearer’s record but he’s not half the player.

I’m not a fan of Kane’s ability to win freekicks and pens, but he’s a much better player than Alan Shearer. Before the classic Conte dip when Tottenham were playing well he was getting as many goals as Salah and as many assists as KDB and that in a team nowhere near as good as Liverpool and City are.
    IMO he is one of the very best players in the league and probably the best player England have produced for many many years. Hopefully players like Saka, Foden, Bellingham etc can become as consistently good as Kane.

dazh

IMO he is one of the very best players in the league and probably the best player England have produced for many many years.

You must be watching a different league to me. Every time I’ve seen Kane play, which is mostly for England admittedly, he rarely touches the ball, and when he does it’s usually completely out of position rather than where he should be, which is getting on the end of crosses and causing problems for central defenders. He’s nowhere near as good as Shearer was.

muggomagic

I don’t feel that strongly about either players tbh and think they are both great players, but I do think Kane is one of those players that probably doesn’t get the respect he deserves. He’s outscored most of the players in premier league history while playing for probably the worst of the big 6 sides.
    He will most likely go on and beat Shearer’s premier league goals tally and has already way past him for England, so he’s not doing too bad for someone who is usually completely out of position

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.