Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • theotherjonv

Grealish is so frustrating…… through no fault of his own, he really does get fouled so much. Perfect for this occasion, just breaks any rhythm that they might muster, runs the clock down. But We don’t want a run down clock, we want 4 and then 5

w00dster

Here’s a question and not intended to be controversial in the slightest. Just watching this game made me think…..
    How do fans afford to go to the World Cup? There’s quite a large Senegalese contingent, I always wonder how affordable it for the fans in countries that are typically referred to as being poor.
    Be interesting to know what the average spend is for the fans and how this compares to their yearly income.

theotherjonv

It’s probably only 20K people in a nation of 17M. 0.1% of population, even in a ‘poor’ nation are probably well off enough.

I think some nations have also subsidised travel to ensure they are supported well – I heard Argentina had done this.

inkster
    Free Member

“Dixon is a bit of a bore,”

He’s like an unfunny Karl Pilkington. Much rather the real Karl Pilkington stepped in.

neilnevill
    Free Member

They looked pretty decent to a man…. except Maguire imv, but I’ll not ride him.

I wonder what France are thinking.

mildred

Grealish is so frustrating…… through no fault of his own, he really does get fouled so much. Perfect for this occasion, just breaks any rhythm that they might muster

I’ve got to disagree – though he is great on the ball I think his real talent is winning free kicks just outside the 18 yard box. Clearly England practice a lot of set pieces from free kicks, so a player who can create the opportunity like he does is invaluable. It’s a double edged sword to play against – if he doesn’t get fouled (I see a lot of players very wary around him in this area), then he’s extremely dangerous going forward.

Caher

I wonder if the papers tomorrow will be baying to sack Southgate?

MoreCashThanDash

Maguires worse game so far this tournament, but he’s been annoyingly competent up to now.

France then. I reckon there will be a red card. If it’s one of ours, France win 4-1. If it’s one of theirs, we maybe sneak through 2-1.

I am notoriously rubbish at predicting results.

lister

Horrible news about Raheem Sterling’s family and the need for him to fly home.
    This seems to be a nasty reality for modern footballers these days.

theotherjonv

I’ve got to disagree – though he is great on the ball I think his real talent is winning free kicks just outside the 18 yard box. Clearly England practice a lot of set pieces from free kicks, so a player who can create the opportunity like he does is invaluable.

That’s what I was trying to say. Invaluable for sure, but at 3-0 and when you want free flowing and a fourth or fifth, he just draws so many fouls as he can’t get stopped legally…… frustrating in a good way, and if we’re 1-0 up with 10 minutes left next week I’ll be cheering every niggly interruption

Caher

Horrible news about Raheem Sterling’s family and the need for him to fly home

Robbery seems to happen to an alarming number of footballers.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Robbery seems to happen to an alarming number of footballers.

Given the average premier league player probably has hundreds or thousands of pounds of bling stashed away in the bedside drawer it’s probably unsurprising unfortunately

Don’t fancy englands chances against the French on Saturday. Mbappe will tear their defence a new one. That said they have looked clinical up front

theotherjonv

Don’t fancy englands chances against the French on Saturday. Mbappe will tear their defence a new one.

I think France start as favourites but they too will be looking at we have and worrying how to deal with it. The challenge with Mbappe is not to let him get the ball in good positions, which means stopping supply lines, and we have a team that absolutely can compete if not dominate the midfield

Klunk
    Free Member

lets hope Hugo goes all spursy for us… Poland really should have scored a couple of times in the first half though… with all the talk of Mbappe ol’ Olivier is crafty player especially in tight games you’d hope the England back four have seen enough of him to keep him quiet.

trailmonkey

Don’t fancy englands chances against the French on Saturday. Mbappe will tear their defence a new one.

I think we can play with the same side as against Senegal but switch to a 3 with Saka and Shaw as wing backs.
    Between Walker and Saka, I think we can do a decent job of containing Mbappe – well, as decent as anyone can – and still remain capable going forward ourselves.

They’ll be plenty scared of us.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Saka switches off too much when he’s supposed ot be tracking his full back. If you have a back 3/5 I’d go with TAA as right wing back all day. Let’s get Mbappe tracking him back instead. He’s not the best defender but offers France a different sort of problem. Walker a right sided CB with Stones to cover him.

binners

The Croatians are playing a dangerous game letting Ito constantly run down that right wing and just keep whacking really good crosses across the box. If he keeps doing that, sooner or later someones going to be in for a tap-in

bfw

Yesterdays game with Senegal was interesting to see the change of approach when getting through the midfield seemed difficult, pin-point lobs over the top by the keeper really worked well.

I think the stats so far bode well. If we can beat France I will start to believe we can do this.

si77

This one’s so one-sided, it’s like watching the Manchester derby 😄

bigdaddy

😂 that’s made me laugh!! Brazil look a bit good going forward!

Caher

Not sure if Brazil are very good or South Korea are just awful.

dander

Naive from South Korea. Could be anything although suppose Brazil will ease up second half. Their goal celebrations make me want to punch something though!

theotherjonv

Bit of both I think. SK are letting Brazil be very good.

theotherjonv

Their goal celebrations make me want to punch something though!

Any more and Roy’s going knee high through their dugout

theotherjonv

Ronaldo’s not exactly at peak fitness any more. At 46 (him) to my 53 I’m suddenly feeling a bit better about myself.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

how are your knees when compared to his?

theotherjonv

F***ked.

Just been whatsapping with mates, and we’re onto writing the Sun headlines for tomorrow. So far I think “Brazilian whacks” and “Brazilians cause discomfort around the box” are favourites.

theotherjonv

They do look vulnerable once they’re 4-0 up and have their reserve team on……

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Spain attempting to make Morocco fall asleep this afternoon so they can sneak a win

theotherjonv

1000 penalties and then that

binners

Absolutely Terrible penalties yet again

JUST PUT YOUR ****ING LACES THROUGH IT FFS!!!!

Fair play to Morocco though. They’ve just done a proper job on Spain there

bigdaddy

Agree @binners some terrible pens there, but blimey Morocco! And that last pen took some balls 😳😁

nickjb
    Free Member

JUST PUT YOUR ****ING LACES THROUGH IT FFS!!!!

So you didn’t like the last Moroccan penalty?

binners

Love the cheeky dink down the middle. That takes some balls, because if it’s saved you’ll look like a right muppet.

But the half-arsed, feeble ‘shots’, low, with no power, carried out with all the commitment of a teenager who’s just been told to go and tidy his room. They deserve to go out!

binners

I see the petulant little shit has been dropped.

Good! That’s his club and international career over in the same stupid way. ****ing egotistical idiot!

imnotverygood

I always think they should take the first couple of penalties straight down the middle, and not too hard.The goalies are always going to dive at the start. Put doubt in the keeper’s mind for the next ones & takes the pressure off the players.

argee

Spain are just a hot and cold team, they weren’t doing it today, and those penalties were horrible, don’t think one had any height, and all were weak, the Spanish goalie wasn’t great either, that last penalty he dived right about a second before the ball was hit, made the guys mind up for him.

MSP

Portugal having their best half of football in the competition without the ego in chief.

Caher

Man City/Wolves select are looking rather good.

Caher

I may have mentioned but I hate ITV, as represented by that weapons-grade Noel Edmunds sound alike Sam Whatshisface.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.