Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • theotherjonv

another dull game US-NL….. after all that I’d written above above the important of goalscorers, the US net minder deserves a payrise.

dantsw13

Can anyone explain why the US goal wasn’t inside? The scorer was 2 yards offside when the ball was played through. I thought that was the whole point of VAR??

theotherjonv

you mean when the ball was played out to the guy on the wing. It’s all about active and passive phases of play, as the ball went nowhere near the centre forward he’s not deemed to be active at that point.

You might go “what?” but them’s the laws, and the ref/lino were right.

dantsw13

Ok – I thought that when the ball came back across & he kicked it after 2 touches, he became an active player so the offside flag would go up. I admit I’m no longer an avid football watcher…..

FA website..

2. Offside offence
    A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

theotherjonv

I know, it can confuse but the active phase was the ball being passed to the winger, the striker was in an offside position, but not offside because not considered part of active play. That phase ends, and the next phase is the ball being crossed where he is active, but by then is back onside.

It was brought in to stop the old Arsenal tactic of everyone pushing up, and catching someone with no part in play loitering on the other wing being technically offside but 60 yards away from the play then getting pinged for it. I think the game’s way better as a result, and no-one complained about it from the Dutch side indicating it’s not controversial any longer.

dantsw13

Ive just read a good description from a ref – every time another player touches the ball the active phase restarts. Makes sense now – thanks!

theotherjonv

that’s not exactly right but it’ll cover most situations.

I don’t know what Argentinian for squeaky bum time is, but…..

theotherjonv

oh, what a great piece of goalkeeping that was by Martinez…… worth a goal at the other end.

argee

Was almost a last minute scare, not sure how Argentina were favourites coming in to this, yes they have Messi, but they’ve not got a starting 11 strength of a Brazil, Spain or England, think they’re pretty similar to Netherlands as well, some outstanding players, but no real strength across the pitch.

ElShalimo

Predictions for today’s games?

Caher

France and Senegal to win.

binners

Five Live were discussing resting Kyle Walker because he’d be best equipped to deal with Mbappe in the next game.

So that’s Senegal’s pre-match motivation taken care of then. Absolute crazy talk given that it’s Engerland we’re talking about here

spacemonkey

I’ve been unimpressed with Senegal so far, probably reinforced by not having Mane available. That said, England were insipid against a workmanlike US (who got unpicked by a more incisive Dutch team), and the first 45 mins against Wales. I reckon we’ll win, perhaps even by 2 or 3 goals, but wouldn’t be surprised if play cautiously and go out.

If we do progress, then I really don’t think we should fear France (who should obvs progress) too much. But I can see Southgate reverting to a defensive mindset, and France dominating possession + territory and making us look toothless as they win 2-0. Would like to see us start with a high tempo and take the game to them, but can’t imagine our starting 11 being given such freedom.

Caher

If England do lose it will be spoken about for years.

Klunk
    Free Member

pace is mental at the moment, feels like a premiership game

Klunk
    Free Member

how did Poland not score?!

Klunk
    Free Member

Poland got lucky there, seemed a good goal to me :/

Klunk
    Free Member

ooof he gave that a wallop!

Klunk
    Free Member

turning into Mbappe show

Caher

Another diabolical penalty decision. Metre away, back to the shot.

theotherjonv

And a retake. FFS, that’ll cost Lloris the golden glove or something now.

dazh

Fairly straightforward lesson there for England should they beat Senegal. Not that they didn’t already know it. The question is how do you take Mbappe out of a game (by legal means obvs)?

Caher

I so hate ITV, I’d forgotten how annoying their adds can be.

oceanskipper

I so hate ITV, I’d forgotten how annoying their adds can be.

That and the God awful commentary hopefully McCoist isn’t doing the match….🙄

MSP

Is the ITV feed on a dial up modem FFS.

ctk
    Free Member

I struggle with Mattaface and Dixon. I’d rather anyone tbh!

w00dster

Dixon is a bit of a bore, but he’s a major, major improvement over Mcoist. Jeez he’s tedious.

martinhutch

Don’t deserve to be level. Any sign of a decent press and we fall to bits.

Lucky, lucky, England

neilnevill
    Free Member

Riding our luck…ah…1-0!

I was just about to point out it clearly came off stones’ elbow and Var was wrong again.

Henderson is on form so far!

w00dster

Bellingham is very good. Nice goal.
    But alarm bells ringing about the back four….especially the two centre backs.
    Can’t see England keeping a clean sheet.

martinhutch

Pickford has stopped giving it to them.

Edit: bit of Fergie time there.

Klunk
    Free Member

the goal has completely thrown senegal

Caher

When will Kane get booked for constant simulation?

w00dster

To be fair to England, that’s two very well worked goals.
    The hoof it long tactical change has worked well. It plays to their strengths….
    Feel for Sengal though, they’ve played well.

theotherjonv

It’s not hoofing it long; although it’s been a bit nervy with some of the pressing against our back four it has pulled them out gradually to widen the distance between their defensive lines which means those more direct passes have more chance of finding their target. I’m surprised as Dixon said, we didn’t solve that on the pitch and mix it up sooner, but at 2-0 up halftime I’m not going to criticise the outcome.

I was just about to point out it clearly came off stones’ elbow and Var was wrong again.

It’s specifically mentioned in the laws that the ball deflecting onto an arm with no intent is not to be considered handball

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54321867#:~:text=A%20deflection%20clearly%20makes%20no,creates%20a%20goal%2Dscoring%20opportunity.

“So should a penalty be given every time the ball hits a player’s hand in the area?
    No. The exceptions are if the ball hits a player’s arm directly from the player’s own head or body and if a player is falling and their arm is between themselves and the ground for support.

w00dster

It’s defo hoofing it long. So long that on one of the chances the hoof from Pickford went over Kane’s head and was collected near the corner flag by Sako.
    That was after England were being pressed and losing the ball in their own half.
    Nowt wrong with it. It works better than the keeper and the back four who may not be the best or most composed on the ball, the midfield are being constantly tracked.

theotherjonv

YMMV. I watched enough of Martin Hicks (Reading) and the Crazy Gang to know when it’s pumping long balls up and fighting for knockdowns from the 5-9 battle, versus more targeted balls (edit, just like PIckford to Kane there)

w00dster

I agree it’s targeted. But it’s still root one. And like I said, nowt wrong with it.
    England can play good football though. I’m in no way criticising them. They’ve had to adapt and have done it well, really impressive.

ElShalimo

Foden and Bellingham looking very good.

theotherjonv

It’s a per hate of mine though – when a player hits a 50 yard crossfield pass bypassing 8 midfielders it’s purred over, switching the focus, stretching the play….. hit it back to front bypassing the opposition midfield and it’s ‘longball’ with all the negative connotations of Wimbledon in the 80’s, Graham Taylor teams, Big Sam, the Charles Hughes manual…….

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.