Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,779 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • PrinceJohn

I’m pleased they drew.

If they’d won they would’ve rested players in the 3rd game, lost momentum, unsettled the team & lost focus.

This way they have to perform in the final group game.

brian2
    Free Member

Commentators and their ability to ruin a game for you.
    Ally McCoist?
    Just shut up 😈

MoreCashThanDash

Argentina going for Oscars rather than the World Cup? I think this may be an interesting game.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I was thinking about the, ‘ you can’t wear a 🌈 arm band or we will send you off’ FIFA ruling and when I saw a USA player with red white and blue dyed hair I wonder….. Rainbow 🌈 hair! Or even better, the squad each do one colour, so when they line up for the anthems the rainbow is there but individual players can’t get a red card! Am I genius? Let’s start an appeal on social media 🌈🌈😁😂🌈🌈

bigdaddy

This game is very much like the England USA game – dull and no end product!

ransos
    Free Member

Messi!

inkster
    Free Member

“Messi!”

Tidy!

Caher

Love Messi we went to watch Barca in 2012 when he was at his pomp. We were right by the pitch when warming up and he was incredible just jiggling the subs. Along with Maradonna they were the most unstoppable players I ever saw in the flesh.
    I captined my uni team but watching him knew I’d never be quick enough to tackle him.

vazaha

Messi mopes around waiting for his team to make him the opportunity to do THAT!

Kane drops deep to make the opportunities for the people who aren’t there because he should be.

MoreCashThanDash

Kane drops deep to make the opportunities for the people who aren’t there because he should be.

That’s a concise and accurate summation

argee

Kane does this for his club and just struggles to be the front man all the time, that’s the biggest difference between him and Haaland, Haaland knows when to come back to help, and when to stay up top and work some space and wait for his team to do their job. Kane just tries too hard and wants to push everything, that can work against you at times though.

dazh

Has Gareth Southgate been secretly advising Japan on tactics? They do the hard bit against the Germans then throw it all away with a cowardly performance. Baffling. 🤷‍♂️

weeksy

There’s a lot of it though, I was watching Denmark with 4 mins left and 2-1 down passing it across the back line 20 times.

Caher

Anyone else watching the BBC UHD versions, it’s pretty good.

binners

Well Belgium had that coming. Another team of superstars who’ve looked really poor as a unit. They were lucky against Canada and no way deserved the win

But to get done with the identical set piece move for a second time…

dander

Big names but many past their best…..Hazard, Alderweierld, Witsel, Vertonghen.

They probably should have won a tournament. But they chose to employ Roberto Martinez?

binners

Football… bloody hell! 😳

dazh

Really enjoying watching all these so called big teams having their arses handed to them by teams who are supposedly there to make up the numbers. England should take note.

dazh

BBC pundits talking about Belgium lazily passing the ball across the back rather than forwards. It really is the curse of the modern game. What this tournament needs is an Ireland circa 1990.

trailmonkey

What this tournament needs is an Ireland circa 1990

Said no one. Ever.

Imagine having McGrath and Sheedy in your team and playing like that 🙈

binners

Surely you mean Camaroon?

Have you watched the 3 part Italia 90 documentary on Sky? It’s absolutely bloody brilliant!

MSP

BBC pundits talking about Belgium lazily passing the ball across the back rather than forwards. It really is the curse of the modern game.

I think managers look at teams like city who do it, and don’t realise it isn’t about just passing between defenders, it is about the work ethic of the midfield always being on the move to create space and/or a mistake in the opposition press, then a pass out through the lines can quickly move the ball upfield. And even in city’s case when the midfield don’t have the right work rate, they have a bad day.

IMO there are actually very few managers who really know how to create patterns of play through the training sessions, and a lot who just regurgitate the training they did as players and ask the team to emulate patters they see without understanding the link between them.

dander

What baffled me the other night was when Pickford was taking a goal kick, both centre halves stood in the box to the side of him and he repeatedly hoofed it up the park, turning over possession.

MSP

That has been an England tactic for a few years now, or make a half arsed attempt to play out from the back, pass back to Pickford to again hoof up field and gamble possession invariably losing it. Again for me it is a problem of players not making options for a pass.

dander

I guess as well Pickford looked to his left, saw Maguire, and to his right, saw Stones – row z it is.

weeksy

This is a bit more interesting isn’t it 🙂 some dull games lately but the Croatia Canada game is getting entertaining.

binners

I guess as well Pickford looked to his left, saw Maguire, and to his right, saw Stones – row z it is.

I was just going to ask… did you watch Ten Hag’s extremely brief experiment with trying to get Slabhead to play it own from the back?

It didn’t last long

Croatia are looking a bit tasty here. Fair play to Canada though. They’re giving them a game!

wbo
    Free Member

‘England should take note.’

It lookslike they have. They’ve won one, and drawn one against teams who aren’t too shabby, with a team that’s got a lot of youth. Not sure which miracles the various pundits/critics/moaners want really?

Caher

Battle of the giants now, pretty even so far, but of a chess match.

MoreCashThanDash

Interesting match, both teams going for it

binners

It amazes me how many players at this level fire corners in that don’t make it past the first man

bigdaddy

Well that was a good goal! Game on!

Klunk
    Free Member

It amazes me how many players at this level fire corners in that don’t make it past the first man

it bemuses me when they try and steal as much as possible when placing the ball then hoofing it over everyone. 🙂

Caher

Surprised there’s no football after match programs such as Fantasy Football League etc. Could do with a hilarious critique of this world cup.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Could do with a hilarious critique of this world cup.

one might be happy with any critique at all. The Beeb appear to have gone with the “**** it lads, everyone seems to be having fun,” line. There’s oodles of shit going on out there and the meeja are ignoring it.

Caher

Playing truent from work: this Cameroon v Serbia game is a humdinger.

theotherjonv

well, it was until you said and I started to watch, now goals have totally dried up.

(actually still is, even without goals)

ElShalimo
    Free Member

The fleeting glimpse of a sprinting pitch invader with a rainbow flag has livened this game up

oceanskipper

Ronaldo’s claimed that goal but I don’t think he touched it…

ElShalimo
    Free Member

His massive ego diverted it in (even though it was going in anyway)

No way did he touch it !

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,779 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Latest Singletrack podcast episode is now live - Talking about warranties - Listen now