Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • dazh

Clearly an inspirational half time team talk from Southgate. 😂

Philby

If he has told them to play for a draw they’re doing their best to ignore him by trying to lose

dander

Crying out for some pace, skill, something different. So he gets ready to put Jordan Henderson on!?

MSP

FFS Henderson, Southgate is going into his shell and trying to hold on for a draw.

dander

Then a point v Wales and it’s qualification done and dusted I guess?

ElShalimo

They need Foden to replace the usual oh-so-disappointing Mount.

edward2000
    Free Member

Does it benefit us if we finish 2nd in the group? Easier run to the final? That’s the only reason I can think for this total bore off.

MSP

Southgate just doesn’t fancy Foden does he.

tails
    Free Member

Really poor, hendo I understand but he seems to not like foden and Arnold who genuinely are game changers.

theotherjonv

what a stupid ****** foul that is Shaw.

molgrips
    Free Member

Must be the cleanest game of the tournament so far.

binners

It’s coming to something when slabhead is your best player by miles

How very Engerland

ads678

Well, that was dull!

martinhutch

Southgate just doesn’t fancy Foden does he.

Not when you’ve got form players like Henderson and Rashford to stick on.

I just can’t understand the lack of buzz and energy. It’s like they got told to be patient, but interpreted that as strolling around in a barely-animated state.

As soon as they started pressing a bit, they got the ball.

Just mediocre.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nah. England will win both games easily.

😂

Haze

To think I looked forward to that game for most of the day…

martinhutch

To think I looked forward to that game for most of the day…

This is typical England WC group stages fare.

oceanskipper

Hmmm….

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Did I not like that! 🤷‍♂️

Caher

Bit surprised that ITV were able to get Saddam Hussein as a pundit.

TiRed

Fell asleep with 20 min to go.

martinhutch

Fell asleep with 20 min to go.

Bit like Declan Rice then.

dazh

There you go. Southgate is really pleased after ‘controlling things from the back’ rather than his grumpiness after scoring 6 against Iran. Hope they get knocked out in the next round.

Haze

This is typical England WC group stages fare

Far from it, should know better really 😂

binners

To think I looked forward to that game for most of the day

Have you not watched Engerland before?

theotherjonv

Harry Maguire’s doubled his value with that performance. Now £8.56 and TWO buttons

Caher

Still have him at Reading, lots of nice houses in Caversham.

ElShalimo

Why?

Is he a plasterer?

Caher

Brickie.

argee

Lots of negativity about a 0-0 in a group game, England are all but through to the next game, they play Wales who have nothing to play for next, and are still feeling their way around. It’s amazing that after the first game it was all about who could stop England winning the cup, now it’s all doom and gloom, without even knowing who you get in the first knock outs.

Reality is that Southgate hasn’t even reverted to his favourite 3-5-2 (5-3-2) yet, that would be the main worry, if they keep using this 4-3-3 and then suddenly go to 3 centre half’s and bench either Saka or Mount, they’ve been attacking formations so far, which isn’t something you see from Southgate a lot.

nickjb
    Free Member

England are all but through to the next game, they play Wales who have nothing to play for next

Wales can still go through with a big win, so something to play for. That said, I agree, England are in a strong position. Happy to be top of the group at this stage.

argee

They need to win 4-0 for the first time against England, they’re out to be fair!

The round of 16 should be easy enough as well, Senegal or Ecuador potentially, they have a lot of time to find their game, way more time than the likes of Germany, Spain, etc, who are battling already!

MoreCashThanDash

It’s coming to something when slabhead is your best player by miles

How very Engerland

That was a worry, ably assisted in defence for much of the second half by that well known right back, Harry Kane.

When a team can press so that Kane is working inside his own half, they’ve got us figured.

ransos
    Free Member

A reminder that the run to the Euro 2020 final included a drab 0-0 against Scotland.

theotherjonv

Yep, 4 points and +4 GD with (nominally, although they’ll raise their game against us) the weakest team still to play is a good place to be.

Germany, Argentina, they’d swap with us right now. And it was a solid defensive performance where we didn’t allow many chances, and importantly they were caused not by inability, but players not doing what they were supposed to. And no injuries or senseless yellow cards to fret about either.

I always feel pissed off after a lifeless showing, then you look at things in the morning and it ain’t so bad.

It’s not inconceivable that Iran could end up topping the group.

ElShalimo

The US are underrated by most people here but essentially they are a team with very athletic players that are willing to run and press all day long and a couple of very decent players.

I assume that England will progress from the group and as soon as they meet a decent team they’ll be on the next plane home

Like most of these big tournaments, the proper football starts in the knock-out phases.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Bad performance but doesn’t really matter, thankfully. Group games are always very different to the knockout phase….. That’s when the good teams walker up and we get the flight home. Still it’s nice to get out the group, which is done barring a 5 goal defeat to Wales. I bet it’s 0-2 at half time and 0-3 by 55 minutes…. That’ll get people worried!

martinhutch

they play Wales who have nothing to play for next

Of course the Welsh have something to play for. Beating the English would be a lovely consolation prize in itself. And if they get ahead early, there’s always the possibility of England losing the plot/getting someone sent off etc. Unlikely scenario, but you can expect them to give it a good go.

Caher

One thing I will say about this world cup so far…it’s really boring. I’ve been forced to out on the bike.

dander

Agree – most games are dull AF. Slow and pedestrian. Bring back the Premier league with all its nonsense, money and drama.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.