Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • martinhutch

Iranian players mumbling the anthem under duress, by the look of it. Horrible situation.

Caher

Wales may struggle in this stadium due to the heat

dazh

Wales saved by VAR. Should be a wake up call hopefully.

theotherjonv

Wales may struggle in this stadium due to the heat

It’s airconditioned pitchside isn’t it? Sun will still be fierce but I did hear of fans in the lower rows needing jumpers (not for goalposts, for warmth)

gobuchul
    Free Member

2 poor teams.

The USA must be enjoying this.

johndoh
    Free Member

If this ends in a draw and we win tonight we are group winners, aren’t we?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yes. And probably Ecuador in the knock outs.

ElShalimo

Not if you’re American

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes. And probably Ecuador in the knock outs.

Yeah I thought that.

Not if you’re American

Hah!

dander

Aaron Ramsey – why does he keep getting picked? Sentiment over ability now. You can see why he couldn’t get a game for Rangers. Bale going the same way…..both young relatively though.

theotherjonv

Aaron Ramsey – why does he keep getting picked?

It looks like it only works if StColin says it, but well tried.

martinhutch

Wales look knackered.

dazh

I reckon after seeing England put 6 past Iran Wales thought all they had to do was turn up.

theotherjonv

perhaps some of the ABEs might give some credit for England making Iran look poor?

stcolin
    Free Member

Aaron Ramsey is rubbish.

I hope this helps.

dazh

Interesting scenario in this group. If this stays the same and England beat the US then we’ll have Wales needing to beat England to go through and the US or Iran needing to beat the other. The US v Iran game will be worth watching. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

The USA must be enjoying this.

A draw isn’t too bad for Wales if England do win tonight is it? It’ll mean Wales need to beat England who will already be through as top team so might rest players.

That said, Iran goal coming unless Wales step up

gobuchul
    Free Member

That corner was shockingly bad!

Then Wales hit a terrible long ball.

2 terrible teams.

It’s going to be even worse in 2026 when there are 48 teams in the finals1

dazh

It’ll mean Wales need to beat England who will already be through as top team so might rest players.

Never going to happen based on this display, even against the England reserves.

theotherjonv

Random thought as the Iranian was breaking there.

Every year (4 years) ball technology improves, there was a period 2-3 WC’s ago where they couldn’t get it to fly straight but we don’t hear so much of that now.

But we’re a full round of matches in now and I can’t think of a proper long range worldy; a few placed from around the edges and corners of the box, but no 30 yard screamers – as the Iranian was breaking I was thinking he was getting into range but didn’t have any thought of shooting. Anything to do with balls, or just culturally that intricate passing and close range finishes seem to be more in vogue?

theotherjonv

also – no red card so far? Less likely to do something daft / better decision making because of the likelihood VAR will condemn you? It hasn’t removed tackling at all, it’s just better considered.

Caher

perhaps some of the ABEs might give some credit for England making Iran look poor?

Are you Norman Tebbit? Some of us simply don’t support England, but like football. Personally I have more cousins in the US than England, so I’m fairly neutral.

Klunk
    Free Member

ramsey is having a shocker at moment

martinhutch

Gotta be a red, that.

theotherjonv

I don’t care if you or anyone else is ABE, that’s part of the territory of being an England fan. You can still reflect it was a very good performance against Iran that made them look poor.

johndoh
    Free Member

Must be a red!

dazh

also – no red card so far?

You are St Colin and I claim my £5 😀

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I watch more rugby than football usually but isn’t that a red for kicking the lad in the head, regardless of whether there’s cover behind him?

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Also, how many subs do you get these days?

martinhutch

Could have awarded that for either, but dangerous play trumps denial of goal-scoring opportunity.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m half Welsh, I live here, and there’s a great buzz going on but looking at the football I’m not feeling it. They look a bit shite, don’t they?

PrinceJohn

Who was it that cursed the keeper by saying we’ve not had a red card yet?

dazh

Wales were already down to 10 men now they have 9. Has Bale actually touched the ball?

johndoh
    Free Member

I watch more rugby than football usually but isn’t that a red for kicking the lad in the head, regardless of whether there’s cover behind him?

Absolutely – that was a red card all ends up for a high foot/body check.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

It’s a shame you can’t hear what the ref was saying but I guess all the background whining and swearing wouldn’t work

theotherjonv

Who was it that cursed the keeper by saying we’ve not had a red card yet?

Oops. Even worse I said decision making was getting better, that was the real problem, without the decision you don’t need the challenge.

dazh

Feel sorry for Hennessy as he was the only Wales player who turned up and he gets sent off for his efforts. The rest of them should be taking a look at themselves, especially the so called superstars.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Iran almost to a man have beautiful hair. Very slick.
    It’s occurred to me it really can’t be that hot at pitch level as nobody is pouring water on their heads and they haven’t had an extra drinks break?

theotherjonv

Ooof – two for two.

Hennessy at 6’15” would have reached that

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Iran v USA could get a bit tasty

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.