Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • argee

Japan are a decent team, they are high energy and work as a team, you don’t want to face them in a hot and heavy game!

johndoh
    Free Member

Spain up next – another surprise on the cards? Surely not?

mogrim

Spain up next – another surprise on the cards? Surely not?

One can but hope, just for the amusement value tomorrow morning when I speak to my colleagues 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What was the keeper doing for the last goal? He was side on, if he’d been straight on it probably would’ve struck him.

theotherjonv

long barrier, making sure he didn’t get nutmegged which is the textbook finish in that situation.

Fortunately the book was out of print in Japan……

binners

Well this is a pretty comprehensive arse-kicking

argee

It is a bit 😂

binners

The 12 Spanish fans who turned up must have been chuffed as ****!

Looks like the attendance was about the same as a mid-table league 2 game

What an absolute farce this is 😂

argee

Ronaldo banned for two matches for that knocking the phone out of a teenagers hand thing, honestly, that’s absolutely mental considering some of the off-field stuff players get up to!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63729875

Klunk
    Free Member

crazy game so open!

MoreCashThanDash

Gutted. They don’t deserve that.

Klunk
    Free Member

took it well

dazh

They must have heard Graeme Souness saying before the match how the Spain team didn’t have any goals in them.

Caher

Spain looked impressive against limited opposition. One if the 5 or 6 teams I’ve backed for the whole thing.

cheese@4p

Disappointed for Canada, they ran rings around Belgium but couldn’t hit a barndoor in front of goal.

binners

Dominated possession, pressed constantly, didn’t give Belgium a second on the ball, couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo in front of goal

If they had anyone who could hit anywhere other than row z, they’d have walked that

ransos
    Free Member

From feigning complete disinterest to the lowdown on Canada vs Belgium…

MoreCashThanDash

From feigning complete disinterest to the lowdown on Canada vs Belgium…

🤣

binners

Well it’s not like I can watch the United v Arsenal instead, is it?

This is the only game in town until Christmas, mores the pity

Doesn’t change my opinion that the whole thing is a total farce, but given the choice of ‘I’m a Celebrity’ or that on a cold wet November evening?

I’ve been listening to ‘Powerplay’ on BBC Sounds, all about FIFA. It’s truly staggering just how corrupt the whole thing is. It’s off the chart! Well worth a listen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0dfg11h

I see they’re giving attendance figures above the capacity of the grounds when the stadiums are obviously half empty

Caher

So, who’ll buy ManU?

dazh

I generally hate international footy and didn’t watch a single England qualifying match, let alone any others. Yet I’ve watched every game so far (WFH is great!), as I did for many previous world cups. There’s something about the sheer volume and variability of watching so many matches in a short space of time that makes it appealing, and you always get games which are brilliant to watch like the Japan – Germany game today. Football can be a dreadfully boring sport and doesn’t work if you dip in and out of it as you’re more than likely to see the boring games. Watch a whole season though and you’re guaranteed to see the good ones, and that’s what the world cup provides.

ransos
    Free Member

This is the only game in town until Christmas, mores the pity

Doesn’t change my opinion that the whole thing is a total farce, but given the choice of ‘I’m a Celebrity’ or that on a cold wet November

Complaining about the loose morality of the things you compulsively watch?

binners

binners

So, who’ll buy ManU?

Hopefully Sir Jim Ratclffe. He’s been after doing so for years and he’s a big United fan.

But unfortunately I can see the sort of long protracted on/off bullshit that we saw with Mike Ashley and his selling/not selling of Newcastle, because it’s the Glazers we’re talking about here and they’re cut from the same cloth. They don’t give a toss about the club and will just mess around trying to get as much cash as possible for themselves, no matter how much damage it’s doing

ElShalimo

Anyway back to Catarrh

Looking at the groups from recent days and today’s fixtures, your realise that England got very lucky with their group !

Caher

England always get a very favourable draw. You can look back in history and it’s always the case. Then they get found out when they meet a country like, Germany, Italy, Croatia,…

ransos
    Free Member

England always get a very favourable draw.

England and Italy were in the same group in 2014, and both failed to advance. It had three teams in the top ten of the rankings.

weeksy

YOU mean they find it harder when they play one of the other top teams in the world ?

That’s not exactly ‘get found out’…. That’s like saying City get found out when they get to the semi of the Champions league….

Or…. they’re just playing really good teams who are better than the rubbish ones ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Looking at the groups from recent days and today’s fixtures, your realise that England got very lucky with their group !

Although it DOES have the highest average FIFA world ranking of any group.

weeksy

Hold on, lets not be bringing actual facts into it !

😉

dander

Is that Jim Ratcliffe, the massive United fan who bid for Chelsea in the summer? And expressed an interest in Liverpool recently? Sounds great!

Hopefully raging spacechicken Elon will buy them.

binners

Well… everything’s relative

I don’t actually think the Glazers will sell it. I think they’re just playing games and kite flying and they’ll do something like stick a valuation of 100 billion quid on it, or something equally ridiculous, and that’ll be the end of that.

dander

Dunno Binners – I reckon they’ve jumped after FSG announced they’d consider selling Liverpool.

theotherjonv

I’m never quite sure about these rankings and how / whether seeding should be part of the WC

On rankings – you get points for winning games (or points taken off for losing them) but how many points you get depends on the relative strength of the opposition. So if you are the big fish in a weak pond and play most of your games against relatively weak / low ranked teams (like I think Iran are) then you keep getting positive points. Not as many as if you’d beaten a big team, but still getting positive points. Hence Iran end up in the top twenty, whereas I don’t think anyone would really believe that. It takes a WC to mix it up and they don’t come around often.

On seeding – depends what you want from it (mainly as a neutral or a sponsor, as fans we all profess to like the big games but if we could get to the semis or finals without playing anyone decent we’d take it). If it’s avoiding the big teams clashing until the sharp end then great, but if you want a little team to have a chance to get through to the knockout stages where things can happen, and ultimately an underdog to get into the sharp end then do away with seeding. A group with FRA, BRA, GER and ENG all in it with two eliminated….. tough, to win the WC you have to beat the best of the rest so who cares where you do that? Except after that group you’d be knackered for the R16 anyway!!

Caher

Brazil being extra Spursey with scowler in chief having a blast. Bit disappointed with Serbia.

Klunk
    Free Member

you’d think it was the final the way they are celebrating ?/

inkster
    Free Member

To be fair, Serbia were pretty solid for an hour before Brazil turned on the swagge. Loved Richarlason’s capoeira move for his second goal.

Agree about all that celebrating with all the subs, kit man, physio, hangers on etc, if they’re not on the pitch, book ’em all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any predictions for this morning?

theotherjonv

Wales will struggle to start with, won’t be a steamrollering but in the end will win comfortably, 2-0 or 3-1 sort of margin.

weeksy

I can see the Wales game being a somewhat dull affair, but i’m hoping to be proved wrong with that.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.