Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Soaking RockShox foam rings
  • thegiantbiker
    Free Member

It says “15+wt” oil in the service manual, which I haven’t actually got or been able to get.

Seeing as it says 15+ not 15, I assume that the fork isn’t going to explode if I don’t use 15, so is there anything else that I could use (3in1, castrol everyman etc) that I might actually have in the house?

jonba
    Free Member

I always soak them in the oil that goes in the fork? I’m not buying special foam soaking oil!

I assume the heavier oil means it hangs around longer. 15wt would work, probably.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with specific RockShox lube. Go to a motorcycle shop and buy their fork oil. 🙂
    Anything will do though. It’s not really WHAT you lube them with, but more that you ACTUALLY LUBE them that counts. 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

I use fox float fluid and haven’t died so far.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Ok, figured as much, have more than enough oil spare from what goes in the legs, and if all goes well, I’m happy to take them out every once in a while and check they’re not dry, but I’d rather not have to buy even more oil just to soak two foam rings.

Cheers guys.

Underhill
    Free Member

At the risk of appearing really stupid, what’s wrong with just using a 15/40 synthetic engine oil?

andyl
    Free Member

I think the + signs means 15 or higher as a lower viscosity oil would run out easier.

As you have 15wt for the lower leg lube then just use that.

Trimix
    Free Member

Any oil will do. Even Olive oil. Its just lube. If you service your lowers often you will see that its not crucial.

andyl
    Free Member

Any oil will do. Even Olive oil. Its just lube. If you service your lowers often you will see that its not crucial.

hmm

I think the OP would be better off sticking with suspension oil (eg 15wt he has) or something like engine oil.

oldnick

For the price of really good motorbike fork oil (I use Putoline HPX5 and 15 in my forks, about £10/L) I’d use the right stuff.

Yes, you can run a Lambretta on aftersun lotion at a push but actual oil does have its benefits.

twohats
    Free Member

Don’t bother with specific RockShox lube. Go to a motorcycle shop and buy their fork oil

Whilst very true you have to remember that one manufactures 5wt can be another another’s 10wt. A good example is Shell Advance 5wt is the same weight as Rock Shox 10wt. Using the Shell oil is a great way to ruin the performance of a nice plush fork.
    If you like the way your fork performs, stick with the manufactures brand of oil or use Peter Verdone’s oil chart to compare the various claimed oil weights against what they actually are.
    None of the above is relevant to lubing foam rings!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use float fluid. Which is 45 wt gear oil.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Soaking RockShox foam rings’ is closed to new replies.