Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So your Dentist burned down
  • legend
    Free Member

now what happens?

A row shops that just so happened to include my dentist (NHS) and favourite curry shop 🙁 burned down around a month ago. Are records backed up centrally these days? Had no contact from them so far, so don’t know if I should be going about looking for a new dentist or if I just sit tight for a while.

Don’t need any work done, just have no idea what happens in these situations!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m sure they’ll identify something or other using dental records.

I’ll get my coat

ratherbeintobago

Are records backed up centrally these days?

As with all NHS IT, not a chance.

Andy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidjones15
    Free Member

As with all NHS IT, not a chance.

I would expect quite the opposite, all representatives of the NHS here openly brag about the efficiency and effectiveness of all depts. In fact, I expect someone is working their little fingers to the bone as we speak in order to provide you with seamless service during this period, working hard to provide the public with the typically high level we’ve come to expect.
    I’ll not have anyone say anything negative about these selfless people.

ratherbeintobago

I would expect quite the opposite, all representatives of the NHS here openly brag about the efficiency and effectiveness of all depts

Less need for the sarcasm, I think. The failure of the NHS NPfIT which would have given us a national central record was entirely the private sector’s (ie. CSC, BT, Accenture and Fujitsu) fault, not the NHS’s.

A more involved answer is that, in the absence of central direction, most NHS organisations (including GPs/General Dental Practitioners, who are effectively self-employed subcontractors to the NHS) bought systems to their own requirements, which are, strangely enough, incompatible.

Andy

nickc

depends….

They may have a backup of your records stored off site, wouldn’t bank on it though. Mind you unless you’ve got a particular treatment plan going on currently, it’s not going to be a massive issue, any dentist will be able to do an exam on your teeth to get a picture of what’s going on.

They should have a business continuity plan under the regulations, or contact your local PCT to find out what they doing with all the patients.

Re records, although it’s a NHS dentist it’s probably run by an independent private company, so won’t have records stored on a “central NHS database” AFAIK, you could ask for your FP17s (claims made by your dentist about work done to your teeth) from the BSA, but I wouldn’t think that was really neccessary

davidjones15
    Free Member

Less need for the sarcasm, I think

No sarcasm, I’m afraid, I’m just continuing the mantra that was often seen on this forum in order to defend the position and reputation of the NHS. People are too quick to mock, a little bit of respect is in order, I think.

vinnyeh

Moved not long ago, and the (NHS)dentist I initially signed up with openly told me they don’t have a computer on the premises, and all records are paper based 😕

beckykirk43
    Free Member

A lot of dentists seem to only keep paper records, although presumably will have a computerised system with patients details on etc.

When you say burned down, has it properly burned down or just a bit of damage? (i.e. does it look like they’ll be able to open up again soon?)

legend
    Free Member

When you say burned down, has it properly burned down or just a bit of damage? (i.e. does it look like they’ll be able to open up again soon?)

Absolutely burned to a crisp! The fire was fierce enough to force 50 fire-fighters to back off. The site was levelled and cleared within 3 days

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Absolutely burned to a crisp! The fire was fierce enough to force 50 fire-fighters to back off. The site was levelled and cleared within 3 days

Not good!

I think I’d be tempted to look for a new dentist then, it might take them quite some time to get back on their feet (if they decide to) and if you get toothache in the mean time you’ll be stuck!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’ll not have anyone say anything negative about these selfless people.

Even when they misdiagnose somebody because they can’t be bothered to do an x-ray so that person ends up walking around for 5 months with a broken leg?

ThePinkster

ratherbeintobago – Member
    The failure of the NHS NPfIT which would have given us a national central record was entirely the private sector’s (ie. CSC, BT, Accenture and Fujitsu) fault, not the NHS’s.

Apart form the NHS management’s inability to settle on a plan & stick to it, then constantly changing their mind on what they decided and having goalposts that move so regularly they look positively epileptic…..

And yes, I do work for one of the private sector companies (but not mentioned above) working on the NHS IT project. So far they’ve cost us millions with their inability to make a decision and stick to it. Just remember that we do their bidding, we don’t make up the rules.

Stoner
    Free Member

[hijack]blimey nick! Ive missed you. Where have you been?[/hijack]

takisawa2

You have tried ringing them havent you ?

They might be up & running somewhere else already… 😐

cheez0
    Free Member

whats the point of dental records? shirley you point to the one thats hurting and the dentist fixes?

‘open wide please, I want to look at your dental history’

simples

DrP

Even when they misdiagnose somebody because they can’t be bothered to do an x-ray so that person ends up walking around for 5 months with a broken leg?

Can’t have been that bad then…?!

DrP

Sorry – that was crass and too easy… You have my sympathies, and perhaps not x-raying an injury once can be forgiven in certain circumstances, but it fails to amaze me when people return with ongoing pains, and some staff still resist x-raying a suitable injury to rule out a fracture. Heal well!

richardk
    Free Member

Do they look down in the mouth?

(too easy)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Can’t speak for dentists – and I hope they had a business resilience plan and sensible off-site back up, but I wouldn’t bank on it…

But in GP land we have better IT than almost anywhere in the NHS, and than most primary care in the world. And yes, for those of us using the commonest system, we do mostly have off-site centralised and confidential back-ups, in case the back-ups in the fire-proof safe get cooked. And most of the GP systems… except one pushed strongly by managers… are compatible with each other… So some tosh talked above.

And the finger of blame for what has happened in hospitals and the wider NHS, points in two directions – some private contractors who made stupid promises and sold snake-oil, and incompetent managers who didn’t listen to users and changed their mind every 5 minutes and wrote poor contracts..

How we laughed at this 👿

I_Ache
    Free Member

DeP touché

Its a long story but I did it in January skiing and went to hospital when I got back. It wasn’t until June when I had a (private) MRI that I found out that it was broken. Had an operation on it then and it still hurts and has reduced articulation. I can’t wait until I can ride properly again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So your Dentist burned down’ is closed to new replies.