Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • So you buckled my wheel then?
  • bradley
    Free Member

A friend of mine borrowed my Allez as a test ride, only 11 miles and returned it with a buckled rear wheel. Not massively, but the bike isn’t very old and this is a bit of an annoyance. Alex S480 rim on an aluminium hub, so bog standard, cheap as chips wheel. Should I just ignore the slight buckle and forget about it, or get him to buy me a cheap replacement as after all, it was him who ruined my completely mint bike…

soobalias
    Free Member

straighten the wheel and quit moaning.

lesson learned – dont lend stuff you care about

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Take it to LBS and get it trued and hand the bill to your friend. Cost about £10.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Depends on how good a mate he is doesn’t it?
    If I bent a mates wheel I’d offer to replace it.

+ what soobalias said.

bluebird
    Free Member

What esselgruntfuttock said.

bradley
    Free Member

More simple solutions are accepted greatly 🙂

soobalias – he’s used to riding MTB and BMX so perhaps is not so keyed up on the fact that the most simple of potholes ruin road wheels @ 110 psi >.<

He is a good friend, since school and have always been close so I don’t think it’s gonna be a relationship ruined kind of thing. He earns alot more than me too…

DrP

Eat his cat?
    It’s the only retribution.

DrP

donsimon
    Free Member

I assume that this is after the initial bedding in period of the wheel. Isn’t there a recommendation that new wheels should be retightened, or at least checked, after a short time?
    Sounds like a right arse of a mate.

carbon337
    Free Member

They’re rubbish wheels it was going to happen at some point.

Leave it and when it gets a bit worse get it done the next time its in for something else like a servcie or treat your wheels to an annual service later.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sounds like a right arse of a mate.

What, cos he bent a wheel? Bit harsh innit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

a slight buckle has ruined a bike?

I don’t know what to say.

njee20
    Free Member

Take it as an opportunity to buy nicer wheels that don’t go out of true on a pothole!

donsimon
    Free Member

What, cos he bent a wheel? Bit harsh innit?

No, cos he’s on the look out for a new wheel! 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I assume that this is after the initial bedding in period of the wheel. Isn’t there a recommendation that new wheels should be retightened, or at least checked, after a short time

only if its not been built properly in the first place. Which might be true for cheaper machine built wheels. Never had to do this to a wheel I’ve built and I’m purely recreational.

to the OP, if its a slight buckle it will true out.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

in this order:

shoes/wee
    bombers/owning
    court proceedings-compo for damages.

Or just mention it when you ask him what he thought of the bike. If he’s a nice chap he’ll offer to sort it.

MarkyG82

read up on trueing a wheel if you dont already know how and mention it to your mate that you had to work on the bike after he had borrowed it. Should end with something along the lines of a beer being bought and an apology.

honourablegeorge

Burn down his house, leave the buckled wheel on his lawn so he knows it was you.

DrP

Burn down his house, leave the buckled wheel on his lawn so he knows it was you.

Then eat his cat.

DrP

shortcut

The standard wheels are pretty shocking, get it straightened at the first free service. Or go and buy some better wheels. Does he know he bent it? Does he read this forum? Don’t lend stuff out! Without making a you bend it you buy it stipulation!!

RobHilton
    Free Member

An eye for an eye – do it to his bike

or

Turn the other cheek – tell him he can buckle the front one as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In law he has a duty or care to pay for a repair.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

slight buckle

it was him who ruined my completely mint bike..

🙄

Have you spoken to him? does he know its buckled?

£10 for a bike shop to sort, maybe free if your a good customer and only had the bike a short time.

£6 for the tool and half an hour of youtube to do it yourself and be prepared for next time.

glenh
    Free Member

I’m glad the OP isn’t a ‘friend’ of mine.

Taff
    Free Member

A mate dented my wheel and I just straightened it and it lasted a few years. That was disc though. Would probably have a different approach to the road bike and would ask for it to be sorted either trued or replaced but would get a better wheel and ask for a fair contribution. Has he said anything?

DezB
    Free Member

He told me he did it on purpose

nealglover
    Free Member

….slight buckle

That’s fine then, no big deal …..

get him to buy me a cheap replacement…..

Erm….. What ???

……ruined my completely mint bike…

Drama Queen !

donsimon
    Free Member

Drama Queen !

That’s a bit harsh. I think you’ve just managed to ruin my whole day!!! 😥

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I know people who can make the ‘problem’ ‘go away’for the right price, if you know what I mean?

Not murderers, bike mechanics and quite inexpensively.

Klunk
    Free Member

you should bill him for tyre & brake wear while you’re at it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Is the mate capable of noticing? Chances are they con’t know they’ve squiffed you in the rim, mention it but don’t ask for compensation. A slight buckle is just that. Get it trued or fix it yourself.

Then make him eat his own cat, in a curry. But never explain that this is what happened. It’ll be our little secret 😉

beefheart
    Free Member

He probably owes you something for cable stretch aswell.
    Steal his girlfriend.

avdave2

Burn down the house by strapping a Molotov cocktail to his cat and throwing it through the window.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Steal his girlfriend.

The kind of man that goes around completely ruining other peoples mint bikes isn’t the kind of man to have a girlfriend.

fadda

Cable stretch? What about the wear on the chain? And the tyres? Not to mention brake pads.

He should replace the bike.

HansRey

i lent a bike to a guy on our team for BUCS. He buckled the rims, but came over and sorted them out. He also taught me how to do it, which was a pretty good trade. Stop complaining and go eat his cat.

Dancake
    Free Member

The kind of man that goes around completely ruining other peoples mint bikes isn’t the kind of man to have a girlfriend.

Quite the opposite: He is living with a stunner and is slapping your wheel with his enormous todger

drofluf
    Free Member

Make sure that before you torch his house with the flaming cat you wee in his shoes so that as he slips them on to escape he gets a nice warm, wet surprise.

chives
    Free Member

Never mind new cables, chain etc – while you’re suing him for your wheel plus wear and tear I think he should pay to get the road re-surfaced, as it was clearly a contributing factor..

Then use the bombers to put his blazing cat out of its misery.

Keef
    Free Member

‘I say we take off and nuke the entire site (mates house,obv.)from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure!’

WillC9999
    Free Member

Invite him around for dinner, drug his food and when he keels over tie him to a chair, blindfold him, place a small orange in his mouth and turn the heating on full. When he wakes up play a tape of loud Arabic shouting (I’m assuming he doesn’t speak Arabic) and hit him repeatedly in the face. After he’s broken down a bit, hold his head back and place a flannel over his face. Pour water on this until he expires.
    Then take the flannel and blindfold off, untie him and slap him a bit until he, hopefully, wakes up. In the unlikely event he fails to see the funny side, remind him about the wheel.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So you buckled my wheel then?’ is closed to new replies.