Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • So why don't they make road bike wheels bigger?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

I find that amazing that “they” whoever they were couldn’t develop or fund the construction a larger carcass building drum and curing mold for a larger bike tyre. Wow

really?

pinched from here
    not sure they were ‘investment’ type guys. (no offence intended repack 😀 )

mangatank
    Free Member

not sure they were ‘investment’ type guys.

Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher certainly did have the manufacturing capacity by the mid 90s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tom Ritchey and Gary Fisher certainly did have the manufacturing capacity by the mid 90s.

GF came out with the first almost-successful 29ers around 2000. They’re definatley the first I remember seeing and thinking they were actual serious bikes not some bizzare prototype idea. Bianchi and Klein made 29er XC race bikes as far back as ’91, so it’s not like it’s a new and untried idea.

Personally I think the reason it took so long was suspension forks. All the development through the 90’s was on forks, which would have made any development of 29er forks doubly expensive given the small market for them at the time.

mangatank
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s right about Fisher, but that’s a full 20 years after Ritchey was advertising his frames and rigid forks in the early 80s. What stopped them putting out 29ers in the mid 80s? Nothing, as far as I can see, other than that they didn’t see an overriding benefit to the type of riding being done.

ampthill

More seriously on the why 29 er now

I think that there is a law that a mountain bike intended for pedalling (a trail bike) can weigh upto 30lbs. This has been quite consistently the weight of my bikes since the 1980s. As the technology improves we get more for the 30lbs. Front suspension, then rear suspension and disc brakes and now we can do bigger wheels as well.

A 1980 FS with disc and 29 ers would have been a heavy horrible monster

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

the only people who care about wheel size are people who ride 26″.

PrinceJohn

The whole 29er thing has exploded over the last few years with the big mainstream brands getting involved. The reason for the original post was a thought about all the different sizes that are now offered & yet road wheels haven’t been subject to any change. The last major technological advance in road bikes was the bluetooth shifting as far as I know.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s because the road bike market is very fashion-led – people buy the bikes their heroes ride, and the pro bikes are essentially modern copies of 1930s racing bikes because the UCI stifles innovation.

Which is why letting the UCI anywhere near MTB racing is a bad move.

oldnick

One or two women have told me that size isn’t important, it’s what you do with it that counts.

At the time I was confused but now I realise they must have been talking about wheel sizes.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member

POSTED 27 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s so true, 26 er riders are forever moaning about why 29″ wheels are from the devil and should be banned.

Get over it.

johnellison
    Free Member

That’s so true, 26 er riders are forever moaning about why 29″ wheels are from the devil and should be banned.

Bollocks. What I do object to is being told what is correct when no-one yet has come up with a cogent argument for adopting 29″ wheels.

The only place the argument is coming from is the marketing department. They have to justify their existence and unfortunately the vast majority are too thick/gullible to stand up and say “where’s the science???”.

I’m perfectly willing to accept new technology or ideas as long as someone can give me a good reason to do so.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Bollocks. What I do object to is being told what is correct when no-one yet has come up with a cogent argument for adopting 29″ wheels

Rolls better.

But really, don’t listen to them. I ride a rigid bike and can happily ignore all the marketing bullshit around suspension.

MrSmith
    Free Member

smaller wheels are lighter, and more aerodynamic, and at tdf speeds that’s hugely important

If small is good why are wider rims and tyres more aerodynamic (they offer less rolling resistance too) zipp/HED both state wider is faster and more aerodynamic.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not aware of any research that shows that, and Bicycling Science and other studies disagree. What they might mean is that a few fat spokes are more aerodynamic than lots of thin ones.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I have a copy of that Richards mountain bike book from 1988. An ex girlfriend bought it for me back in 1997. I wasn’t impressed as it was so out of date. Now it’s pretty interesting

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If Moultons are the way forward, why are we all on bigger wheeled bikes? We’re all a bunch of idiots!

bwaarp
    Free Member

No. The advantage of big wheels is that they don’t fall so far into a hole. On the road (hopefully) there are no holes, so wheel size doesn’t matter.

So when everyone goes 29 braking bumps will just get bigger negating some of the usefulness?

As if an extra 3 inches circumference is going to stop your wheel falling into lots of holes.

bencooper
    Free Member

If Moultons are the way forward, why are we all on bigger wheeled bikes? We’re all a bunch of idiots!

Because the UCI doesn’t like progress. They prefer pharmacological ways of going faster to technological ones.

tinribz
    Free Member

If Moultons are the way forward, why are we all on bigger wheeled bikes?

Have you seen the price of em!

ahwiles
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

If small is good why are wider rims and tyres more aerodynamic (they offer less rolling resistance too) zipp/HED both state wider is faster and more aerodynamic.

dunno what zipp/hed are on about, but if want to make a thing with low drag, start off with a small thing

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So when everyone goes 29 braking bumps will just get bigger negating some of the usefulness?

As if an extra 3 inches circumference is going to stop your wheel falling into lots of holes.

Nope just smooth them out, have you not been reading the reviews?

MrSmith
    Free Member

dunno what zipp/hed are on about, but if want to make a thing with low drag, start off with a small thing

If you don’t know what they are on about that suggests you do not work in aerodynamics or are qualified to back up your theory that you need to ‘start of with a small thing’ for low drag? Or maybe you do and know different?
    I’m not qualified innaerodynamics but I think I’ll take what i have read about HE’D, Zipp and Paul Lew (lew then Reynolds wheels) say as valid. (that wider rims are more aero on a road bike.)

ahwiles
    Free Member

well, i’m convinced.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 things that affect drag

The drag coefficient and frontal area, usually abbreviated to one function CdA as for an object you can’t easily change either, i.e. there’s no point quoting Cd for a car, as you can’t shrink it.

So halving the wheel size would halve the area (like a moulton).

Wider rims reduce Cd by flattening the tyre sidewalls so it presents a more streamlined shape rather than narrow rims which pinch the tyre in again at the bead, you’d get a similar (well, even better) effect running 21mm tyres, but they’re uncomfortable and a harder sell to the fatty sportive set.

The reason it makes chuff all difference on an MTB is we’re doing half the speed and drag increases with the square of speed (assuming the reynolds number is high enough, which it will be). So things like rolling resistance of the tyre and it’s ability to roll over stuff is more important.

epicyclo

A ride on an old Moulton with the correct tyres will quickly disabuse anyone of the notion that they are slow.

They do need a different technique to a larger wheel bike because of their suspension – that would probably come more naturally to the current full suspension generation than it did to mine. A lot of records were taken on the original Moultons before the UCI made them persona non grata. In fact I believe one record still stands.

They don’t give the feedback of “fast” like a 700c wheel, but that is because we are conditioned to recognise road vibration transmitted directly into our joints from 120psi tyres as fast – you don’t get that high frequency vibration with the Moulton – but look at average times or a speedo, and they are fast thanks to the suspension. The suspension lets the small wheel ride easily over obstacles just like a larger wheel so there is less resistance.

But taking the 26″ wheel argument to its extreme – if a 26″ mtb wheel is superior to a 29er, then logically a 20″ wheel would be even better. We all know that’s ridiculous or the trails would be infested with BMX type bikes. If bigger is better in the case of 20″ v 26″, then surely the same applies for 26″ v 29″?

Edit: the last paragraph of the thisisnotaspoon’s post says it best.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I theory the larger the rolling dimater the lower the rolling resistance. However Mr Moulton did rolling reistance tests (on a drum) and found the opposite. So air resistance was not the reason.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The suspension lets the small wheel ride easily over obstacles just like a larger wheel so there is less resistance.

So a 26” fs bike is faster than a 29” rigid with everything else being equal? That’s not what 29er riders that I know say.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s because suspension absorbs energy in it’s smoothing action, whereas a larger wheel does not.

However I do wonder how much of this is psychosomatic.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Because the UCI doesn’t like progress.

Regardless of the UCI and their many faults, I don’t think sport necessarily has to be about technological progress at the expense of all else. Road bikes have moved forward in many ways; materials, gearing, aerodynamics, electronics etc. but ultimately the modern road bike is something that a pre war bike racer would recognise as the same machine. I like that direct connection.

I don’t think it would be the same if come July we were treated to fairing covered recumbents hooning up the Champs-Elysees.

Northwind

mangatank – Member

Yup, but neither has yet developed a working time machine with which to deliver those tyres to the 1970s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So a 26” fs bike is faster than a 29” rigid with everything else being equal? That’s not what 29er riders that I know say.

Well, no, because a 29er FS would be even smoother.

But less aerodynamic.

mangatank
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

In my experience of MTB rims before the late 90s, even 26ers were struggling to have the strength required to get rad and I certainly wasn’t giving them nearly the abuse I would these days… 29ers would’ve crumpled and died if you just looked at them from a funny angle.

Besides that, the geometry of 29ers will forever be compromised by clearance around the junction of the chainstays and BB, not to mention toe clearance for the front wheel… (st)roll on.

As for the future of road bikes, say goodbye to the complexities of designing around larger wheels and say hello to a world of fun:

http://minivelo.co.uk/#1

Hipper that a hippy hippos hip:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9NEW8h0kw[/video]

epicyclo

I_Ache – Member

I would expect to find that, all else being equal, and I ride a rigid 29er. However a skilled rider on a rigid bike has about 10″ of suspension available if he/she stays out of the saddle, so that can make a nonsense of the comparison.

pictonroad

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Wider wheels on a road bike can produce lower overall wind resistance, but they’re not more aerodynamic on their own.

More of the spoke is hidden behind the tyre and the wider tyre smooths the flow of air onto the downtube. There could be benefits around the interaction of the air with the forks and calipers too.

IanW
    Free Member

Isn’t there an aesthetic balance between wheel and frame?

I always struggle to get past a medium on a 26 MTB because anything bigger looks like a gate.

Same for road bikes, rather than getting hung up on sizes shouldn’t the wheel just be proportionate to the frame.

May give the factories a headache admittedly.

Northwind

Perhaps. But most modern road bikes are hideous- take a blob of melted wax, cover it randomly in stickers. So let this wheel size disaster come, it makes but one more.

sweepy
    Free Member

So really then I should be getting a mountain bike with bigger wheels, and a road bike with smaller wheels when for years ive been told just the opposite (throws cap on floor and stamps on it)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Isn’t there an aesthetic balance between wheel and frame?

I always struggle to get past a medium on a 26 MTB because anything bigger looks like a gate.

I agree with this, I’ve always been between around a 21″ish frame so the biggest benefit to me is that 29″ wheels make my bike look normal.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘So why don't they make road bike wheels bigger?’ is closed to new replies.