• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bradxt-spam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So, why did my sealant not seal?
  • mactheknife

I have been running tubeless on various tyres for around a year now. So far I have not had any issues.
    Today was a strange one though. I was near the end of a pretty long ride and I slammed my rear into a couple of rocks and I heard that demoralising slow hiss.

I had a look and the hole appeared to be very small. Almost like a pinprick size and the sealant was bubbling through. I’ll check tomorrow the exact size but it did appear to be small.

What it didn’t do is seal the hole. Now like a Muppet I didn’t spin the tyre to the 6 o’clock position so that the sealant could pool and maybe help the process along. I only thought of that later on.

Also the sealant is stans and its pretty new, also plenty in the tyre.

Ideas so I can not have another one of these 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

I can recommend these for such situations:

Genuine Innovations, tubeless tyre plugs

Stevelol
    Free Member

You needed to put the tyre at 6 o’clock like you thought. That being said I’ve also had a non sealing hole before but that was right on the bead where it’s flexing a lot.

I think you’d have made the hole bigger using the streaky bacon as above

mactheknife

So should i now patch the hole up from the inside and use as normal?

cheers 🙂

Cheezpleez

Yes

khani
    Free Member

I’ve used the kit in the pic above with great success, it’s held fine for over twelve months and you don’t have to take the tyre off the rim to do it, easy to do on the trail as well.
    Once you’ve got the kit with the tools the sticky worms are cheap on their own from eBay and if you cut em in half you get double for your money as they’re longer than needed as standard,
    Great bit of kit if you’re running tubeless..

Deveron53
    Free Member

You say the fluid is new. When filling, did you shake the bottle, invert, wait 10 seconds and then pour the fluid into the cup?

I use this to ensure I get plenty of ‘particles’ in the fluid, to help with the sealing of bigger holes. Sometimes the fluid is too runny to be of any use.

mactheknife

Deveron, i think that was my mistake. I think i just poured it into the tumbler and then the tyre.

You live and learn 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

I use 2 tyre levers to hold a section of bead open and insert a ‘filler funnel’ (essentially an old, empty bottle of Specialized’s tyre fluid (which btw was RUBBISH) with the bottom cut off) into the bead-gap. I have 2 of the red cups laid out ready on my bench. I then remove the cap of the bottle of Stan’s, put my finger over the hole and shake the bottle vigourously. I then invert the bottle over one of the cups, wait 10 seconds then lift my finger off the hole, fill one cup, finger on, move, finger off, fill the second cup. I then pour both cups into the funnel, poking down any lumps with an old spoke. I remove the funnel and tyre levers and proceed with the sloshing about and air filling.

mactheknife

Cool buddy, thanks for the advice. Ill be repairing the tyre and changing the sealant in the front tomorrow.

Much appreciated 😀

nosedive
    Free Member

good luck with the repairing. ive never got damaged tyres to hold air properly after a non sealing puncture

oldnpastit

I’ve found rubbing a bit of dirt into the hole sometimes helps if it’s got white stuff squirting out and won’t seal. Then just ride and hope.

mactheknife

Pinches can seriously ruin your day 🙁

Took the tyre off to find 3 seperate holes in the same area. So far it seems to be holding with a couple of good patches.

It was a strange one, was riding round the classic Torridon loop and was on the last section before the Annat descent. There was a group of lads about 5 minutes behind us. After i got my puncture(s) they came flying round and one of the lads got a puncture in exactly the same spot i got mine. So i am telling myself i might not be an absolute divvy. Just a wee one 🙂

Water bars Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. And that’s for another thread.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So, why did my sealant not seal?’ is closed to new replies.