Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • So, who's got their Ride London start time then?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

As already mentioned in here – you will be amazed how fast you go on this, with the combination of the bunch and the closed roads. I am doing well if I can average close to 20mph on any ride by myself, and I was quietly hoping I’d get under 5 hours for the Ride100 in 2015 on that basis. I got 4h19m, which I was staggered by – 23mph average for the ride.

crazy-legs

@mikey74:
    You pick up everything on the Saturday at Excel. Drawstring bag, all rider numbers, a whole load of useless advertising crap, a few gels and there’s also a bit of an expo area where you can buy stuff. In 2014 they were selling waterproofs by the hundreds due to the forecast atrocious weather!

Then on Sunday when you ride up to Stratford, you can wear some additional clothing, use lights etc, ditch all that into the bag before you start (along with whatever post-ride gear you have in it) and then collect it at the finish.

Hint: there are 30,000 identical bags there and it can take a long time checking through all the numbers stuck to them to find yours. Try wrapping some ribbon or coloured tape onto it. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks ‘legs. Yes, I saw that when I looked through the magazine again.

Good tip, by the way, thanks.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Possible silly question alert…is there anyway to register without going to London in the days before the event??
    It’s a touch inconvenient….!!

crazy-legs

Is everyone sorted for the weekend then? I went to Excel yesterday afternoon, easy registration and then a quick wander round the stands. Not much there although Evans had a huge area of random bits and pieces to sell.

This time tomorrow I’ll already have been riding for 20 minutes. Slightly scary thought given my current levels of wakefulness…

mikey74
    Free Member

Kind of: I’ve got all my gear, bike serviced, food sorted. I’ve just got to arrange what time my brother is picking me up tomorrow.

How crowded are the dropoff points? I’m going to the Royal Albert Dock one.

I assume the route to the start is well sign posted? How long do I need to allow when I get to the park? I should just need to drop off my bag and get to the start.

I’ll probably go for a light spin on the bike later, just to stay loose.

singletrackmind

Yep
    Bike all ready , me not so much.
    Staying near the Tate Modern tonight in LSE halls then out at 0600 for at 0735 start time .
    Looking for sub 6hr , but have done no training.
    Getting train up and back and am expecting grief on way home as there wont be any spaces in the designated carriages .

wilburt
    Free Member

Busy “carb loading” mmmm!

crazy-legs

How crowded are the dropoff points? I’m going to the Royal Albert Dock one.

I assume the route to the start is well sign posted? How long do I need to allow when I get to the park? I should just need to drop off my bag and get to the start.

Don’t know about the drop off points but the route is well signed and there will be thousands riding up there. Last time it reminded me a bi of the Pied Piper – at every junction and side road there’d be more riders appearing, all with their RL bags, all joining the steady stream of people heading to Stratford.

There’s a fair bit of hanging around but there’s toilets, places to buy food and coffee. You’ll find yourself standing somewhere for about 10 minutes then a steady shuffle forwards 200m, repeat until eventually you’ll be in the big start pen having a final rider brief via PA system.

Kryton57

After my dodgy shoulder reared its head last week, I managed an hour yesterday and returned in a lot of pain. Just had one of three planned sports massages (Mrs K is a sports masseur) to work on a knot half the size of a fist but I am wondering if a 3am alarm (6.07 start) followed by a 4.5hr ride is going to really hurt.

Or I could withdraw and get a place next year. Don’t want to though.

nedrapier

Well K, I’m hungover to hell, stuffing a massive fried breakfast onto my face in Exeter. Knackered my shoulder 7 weeks ago. Mate’s stag this weekend which I would have had to cut short for the R100. They’re all off clay pigeon shooting, I had a lie in.

Withdrew earlier this week from Sunday’s ride. Even if the shoulder was OK to ride on now, I’ve done pretty much nothing for 2 months and I’m fat and weak!

Have an amazing time tomorrow everyone !

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks crazy. The blurb says get there at least 1 hour before start time, so I’ll use that as a guide.

I’ve just been for a 15 mile chilled ride, which felt really good; especially after mainly walking for the last few days.

crazy-legs

Recommended routes to the start from the drop off points:
    https://d1ffaecguugkl4.cloudfront.net/ridelondon/live/uploads/cms_page_media/765/2016-PRL-cycle-routes-to-the-Start.pdf

These are all fully signposted and once you get nearer to Stratford it starts splitting you off into the various coloured start areas.

Just got the bike sorted – I’ve borrowed some deep section wheels for the true 5th Cat Sportive racer experience 😉 so went for a quick ride to check everything was OK.

And I’ve just arranged the 4am meeting time with a mate to ride up there. 😯

Kryton57

I’ve done the sensible thing and withdrawn. Feeling mortified.

Have a good one everybody, stay safe!

TiRed

06:00 blue wave. No pressure.

Look for the white Giant Propel, yellow helmet and Winston’s Wish jersey.

Staying at Docklands but will ride home afterwards.

Small rucksack into town, fits inside the bag for the ride.

Edric64
    Free Member

Sounds hateful 30000 on a sportive !!

TedC

All registered and checked-in for an early start tomorrow.

Just got to put the bike back together – wheels and bars – and affix various numbers, tags etc.

Have a great ride everyone.

mikey74
    Free Member

You too Ted. I did my numbers earlier. I just have the helmet one to do, but I need to wait for it to dry, first (I washed the straps as they’d become crusty with salt lol)

I’ve just got to work out how to send myself to sleep at a reasonable time for my 4am wake-up call. I usually find it difficult to sleep if I go to bed before 11ish.

IHN

All registered, minor parking panic at hotel but sorted now, off to a nearby Italian for food later then early night.

Sounds hateful 30000 on a sportive !!

That 30000 people would want to do it would rather suggest it was anything but, no?

m0rk
    Free Member

Up in 4.5hrs for the 90 mile drive…. Wide awake.

Can’t wait until I’m rolling though!

SamB
    Free Member

I bloody wish 30000 people had turned up! We were picking up my girlfriend’s number at ~4.30pm, and leaving around 5pm (when the expo closes) there were still a ton of numbers waiting to be collected and people running to pick their numbers up.

I understand people have circumstances which change, and maybe they can’t make the event or get their race packs… I just wish there was a “well, these packs haven’t been claimed so if you chuck £20 to charity you can have one” queue. Rode all the way there, all the way back, no chance of riding tomorrow unless I jump the barriers (I’m not going to mind!).

Grrr…. maybe next year! Hope everyone out tomorrow has a good ride 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Back at our hotel after an agonising issue with my foot (fortunately it only started when I dismounted from the bike just after the finish line!) and ready to eat and drink my own body weight…

Based on the fact I have done literally no training and done only two rides over 50 miles this year so far, have been suffering with a ton of stress for both work and personal reasons, and I’m a stone overweight, I thought I’d be doing well to get in somewhere around 5:20-5:30 this year after my 4h59 last year…

4h37! BOOM. That’ll do nicely thank you very much… In a whole world of pain right now but the sense of achievement is outweighing it somewhat! 😀

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Did 4:44 which was a 16 minute improvement on last year.

Crossed putney bridge heading back into town and just lost it – got dropped off the back of chains, was in a whole world of pain, and had nothing left in my legs. Managed a sprint finish on the line though 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

That 30000 people would want to do it would rather suggest it was anything but, no?

A friend posted this, stuck behind an accident. Looks fun!

mikey74
    Free Member

I was stuck in that for well over an hour. If you take that out of the equation, I did 4:45.

crazy-legs

I had an OK ride actually – 4.17 riding time, 4.21 actual although i’d been hoping for not much more than 4.
    The riding was surprisingly good in the front wave, everyone calling road furniture, turns, slowing etc, no issues at all that I saw. There was a LOT of really nice kit in that front group, lots of bikes up at the £6000+ price mark.

The speed was insane the first 15 miles or so we averaged 27mph although it dropped a bit as we went through the suburbs. I didn’t feel too bad but then around Leith Hill I just felt really tired (not blown but just like I wanted to curl up and sleep at the side of the road) so dropped off the group, made it over Box Hill on my own and then stopped at the top briefly to refill bottles and have a toilet stop. I hadn’t been planning on a stop at all but I’d run out of water by then. I got going again and picked up a second wind before having to stop again to tighten an ever-loosening bottle cage. Thanks to the random family by the side of the road who happened to have allen keys to hand and a banana for me!

Got in with another group then suddenly that final climb out of Wimbledon with 9 miles to go scuppered me, I got swept up by the group behind and we absolutely caned it into London. Very safe though, everyone was really well behaved. No littering either, everyone was really good about putting gel wrappers back in their pockets.

Bag collection at the end was super easy and quick too.

Met TiRed briefly in that front group, he left me as I dropped back on Leith Hill.

nathb
    Free Member

Crashes sound nasty! https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/31/ridelondon-accident-cyclists-surrey-london-course-diverted-pyrford-ripley

crazy-legs – Member
    No littering either, everyone was really good about putting gel wrappers back in their pockets.

Really!?!? I wasn’t involved in the event but I forgot it was on, I walked along a 250m stretch of road after with my bike to get back into Bushy park and counted 7 empty gel sachets…

TiRed

Managed 4:11. Was proud that the club dragged us out of london so fast. Tried hard to hold on up Leith hill as crazy says. In fact I over did it and blew up at the top! That and some serious stomach cramps meant I was recovering as I rode up Box Hill where crazy caught me again.

Ride back into London was fine (including the hill up onto Wimbledon Common) and the peloton I finished in was huge. Riding standard was typical of a 123 road race. Felt safe all the way round.

Rode a quarter of the course home via Weybridge at a slower pace! It was nice to see so many rider out, including children.

Klunk
    Free Member

G-man dishing out the pain ! he is flying !!

jwshale
    Free Member

If anyone is interested, here’s an Excel version of the results http://www.filedropper.com/rl20162

Was a fun scripting challenge 🙂

jwshale
    Free Member

PS – I’m absolutely cooked after a 4:12. Bonked hard in the final 25km or so…
    PPS – Inclined to agree about the littering. I saw several people just chucking gel sachets. Real pet peeve.

Klunk
    Free Member

David and Geraint sitting in a tree k.i… a bromance in the making 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Ian Stannard looks really awkward trying to ride slow enough at the back of the chasers ! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gels: people see the pros throwing them so just do the same.

TiRed

To be fair, I rode back from Green Park to Weybridge along the route, and whilst there were gel wrappers discarded, it was nothing like the detritus I was expecting. Saw a few water bottles too. Now that is very pro;-) .

wilburt
    Free Member

I would have stopped and picked those bottles (the camelback ones at least) were my pockets not already rammed with all those free cliff bars.

mboy
    Free Member

Just found out one of my customers did a 3:58!!! 😯

I thought some of the times on here were impressive so far!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chapeau to all, especially those faster times.

Hopefully the two injured riders are ok. I always feel a twinge when I ride or drive past Newlands corner after the fatality there.

singletrackmind

6 1/2hrs for me .
    sub 2hrs to the crash site and 20.6av on my computer , then over an hour of shufflw /stop /shuffle /stop. Poor guy overcooked the bend went off the raod and connected with a substantial tree.

My 1st RideLondon and was impressed by the high level of organisation , everything though through from the clever staggered starts to the bag drops and reclaims

Took off like a nutcase with no chance of maintaining the ridiculous speeds I was able to maintain through london and out to Richmond park.
    slowed down once out past the M25 but the damage was done . Then got held up in the queue, everyone really well behaved and no nonsense.
    Once through that had stiff cold legs that didnt really want to work as well as they did before the halt.

Did OK over Newlands , then Leith but struggled over Box with stomach ache and any extended efforts very quickly left me wanting to puke .

Probably not enough water, and hit a gel waay to early when I still had real food on board. 17.9av at the end and judging by evryone elses times I am not a very good rider.

wilburt
    Free Member

What single track said but I did manage to get on a good group just before Wimbledon giving me 5:11 excluding the accident wait.

Re that corner btw, I’m not familiar with the route but if there was going to be an accident anywhere you could predict that corner.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘So, who's got their Ride London start time then?’ is closed to new replies.