Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • So who's going to stop eating bacon & Italian hams then…?
  • franksinatra

Crusty white bloomer, roughly sliced into slabs. Butter. Ketchup. Lots of smoked bacon. Mug of tea.

If that kills me then I will die a happy man.

Coyote
    Free Member

Have I missed something or is binners missing from this thread?

binners

Hi!

*waves* 😀

Where do we stand on double sausage and egg mcmuffins then?

Are the bloody health nazi’s telling me that they’re bad for me now? Since packing in smoking they’re the only pleasure I have in life! Are they going to deprive me of those? ARE THEY?!!! 😥

Actually… on a related note, one of my mates drives artics for Maccy D’s. The drivers all tend to have regular Maccy D’s breakfasts (he doesn’t himself). But not long back, they brought these out. They’ve been christened ‘Heart Attack Wraps in the office, as so many of the drivers have actually had heart attacks since their introduction to the menu. They’re keeling over, clutching their arms, left right and centre! I think he said that are about 1,000 calories in each one 😯

So there you have it! If you’re going to eat processed meat, then don’t **** about! Do it properly. You’ll be dead waaaaaaaaay before you’ve had chance to develop cancer!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Look, bottom left. RSPCA freedom food logo, no way that gives you cancer.

binners
    jekkyl

In other news yesterday scientists have discovered that stepping out your front door causes cancer, yup & breathing, breathing causes cancer too, in fact being alive significantly increases your chances of getting cancer, so you’re better off not living at all.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

A life without bacon is a life not worth living.

i disagree, but then i suppose i would…

aracer
    Free Member

When there is a 2.6% chance of dying from bowel cancer if you eat lots of processed meat, how unlikely is that then?

If that is the case, then it will be down to something other than bowel cancer. Personally I’d still rather give myself the best chance of avoiding having a colostomy bag though.

mogrim

franksinatra – Member
    Crusty white bloomer, roughly sliced into slabs. Butter. Ketchup HP. Lots of smoked bacon. Mug of tea.

If that kills me then I will die a happy man.

FTFY.

steveoath
    Free Member

Red meat has been placed in “Group 2A”, which means it is probably carcinogenic to humans.

However, there is “limited evidence” to connect red meat – including beef, pork, lamb, mutton, goat and horse – to cancer.
    Hmmm, they might want to look into their publicist tbh.

nedrapier

This might have been posted before, but:

Processed meat and cancer – what you need to know

Pretty good at unpicking the headline sensationalism, including what’s actually new information behind the recent headlines: the IARC’s announcement that processed meat “definitely causes cancer” and some background behind that definition.

As Professor Phillips explains, “IARC does ‘hazard identification’, not ‘risk assessment’.

“That sounds quite technical, but what it means is that IARC isn’t in the business of telling us how potent something is in causing cancer – only whether it does so or not”, he says.

To take an analogy, think of banana skins. They definitely can cause accidents, explains Phillips, but in practice this doesn’t happen very often (unless you work in a banana factory). And the sort of harm you can come to from slipping on a banana skin isn’t generally as severe as, say, being in a car accident.

But under a hazard identification system like IARC’s, ‘banana skins’ and ‘cars’ would come under the same category – they both definitely do cause accidents.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Bravado of middle age or youth doesn’t really matter, still bravado… I remember the same language used by smokers in the 80s/90’s.

oooh if a cig kills me, I’ll die a happy man.
    oooh if 110 year old Doris is still smoking then I’ll be fine.

snatch

andytherocketeer

In other news yesterday scientists have discovered that stepping out your front door causes cancer, yup & breathing, breathing causes cancer too, in fact being alive significantly increases your chances of getting cancer

have you seen how many people die when in beds? I seriously recommend never going to bed.

vickypea
    Free Member

Binners beat me to it! I was going to say that we already know that eating too much processed meat can cause heart disease so why the uproar that it also raises your cancer risk? Dying of a heart attack at 55 is no more fun than dying of colorectal cancer at 70.

BoardinBob

This wasn’t news to me and was one of the reasons I went veggie a couple of years ago. I wasn’t fussed about chicken or beef but i LOVED processed meats. Chorizo, pepperoni, parma ham, salami etc. I’m actually salivating just thinking about it. I know that’s a one way trip to bowel cancer and I’m not known for doing anything in moderation!

aracer
    Free Member

I posted it on page 1, but it’s well worth posting again, when most people seem to be getting their info from journos who haven’t got a clue about science.

franksinatra

Mogrim, you are wrong on the HP sauce front but I respect your choice and will not try to convince you otherwise.

But you are wrong

hugo
    Free Member

No, following the guidance of a epidemiological study or agglomeration of studies, is not something I’m going to be doing.

rone

GF’s mum spent her whole life eating wholegrains and avoiding anything she saw on Breakfast TV, including this processed meat lark.

Result – bowel cancer earlier this year. Bowel removal etc.

Luckily, I’m not hugely into processed meat (save the odd sausage) and didn’t steak get it in the neck at one point?

pictonroad

That bacon kimbers posted on page 2 looks a bit dodgy, I think I’ll steer clear.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, well if you read the stats, for every 66 processed meat eaters who get bowel cancer 56 wholegrain eaters will get bowel cancer. It’s not a huge change in risk.

I’m wondering what the correlation is with increased risk of disease for breakfast TV watchers.

rone

Yep, and I would say worrying about stuff, and stressing about health advice all the time takes its toll on your system too.

Fear, Fear and Fear.

You can’t blame folk for getting stuff all messed up.

binners

Lets be honest… EVERYTHING gives you cancer. Or that certainly seems to be the case. Is there anything that ‘the experts’ can categorically prove does not give you cancer? No…. I didn’t think so.

All this stuff is just scare-mongering nonsense, to further fuel the whole paranoid ‘you’re all going to die!!!!!!!!‘ narrative so beloved of modern media, and ridiculous nanny state.

We all know the things that really do the damage to your lungs/heart and important bits.

If you pay much attention to this peripheral fluff, and actually alter your behavior as a direct result of it, then you really are an idiot…

aracer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfWykH05Gw[/video]

Though of course some things prevent cancer:
    http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/

grum
    Free Member

You can call it denialism if you want but I think people are missing the point here. This is a linked issue on a societal level, but individual people thinking ‘oh I’ll stop eating processed meat then so I don’t get bowel cancer’ is logically faulty thinking.

The chances for any given individual of that being the thing that kills you, and you having had a significant impact on it’s likelihood of happening by whether you eat processed meat or not must still be incredibly tiny, no?

We all know the things that really do the damage to your lungs/heart and important bits.

Coke and hookers?

binners

depends how niche the hookers are

bigjim

Pretty good at unpicking the headline sensationalism, including what’s actually new information behind the recent headlines: the IARC’s announcement that processed meat “definitely causes cancer” and some background behind that definition.

Yeah sadly as usual the news channels have taken the report completely out of context. Channel 4 news last night were quite good in explaining what the report actually says rather than what the papers are reporting.

grum
    Free Member

depends how niche the hookers are

29er+ singlespeed hookers?

molgrips
    Free Member

And why do we know?

Cos of scientists doing exactly this kind of research. Shot yourself in the foot there a bit binners 🙂

binners

If I shoot myself in the foot, I’ll bleed to death before I have chance to get cancer

grum
    Free Member

You could make some black pudding out of the blood, mmm….

aracer
    Free Member

Or does he have a dog called “trigger”?

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m currently balls deep in series 2 of the Sopranos. My consumption of Italian hams and other such delights has risen considerably and will continue to rise throughout the time it takes to finish all 6 series.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Or does he have a dog called “trigger”?

he has a bike called trigger, is that close enough?

hora
    Free Member

Edit, not the right time to post this.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d far rather die of some horrible disease like bowel or lung cancer.

hora
    Free Member

A few years ago a study said milk was bad for you. Two weeks later the same paper ran another study saying milk should be drunk more. Telegraph or Times I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Science in science shocker.

Public in not getting it shocker.

Kryton57

Vitamin tablets bad for you as well. And good for you. And snake oil. Eggs were bad, now good. Bread is perceived as bad, but natural wholemeal is good carbs and the list will go on….

aracer
    Free Member

Does snake oil cause cancer or prevent it?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘So who's going to stop eating bacon & Italian hams then…?’ is closed to new replies.