Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,678 total)
  • So…who’s going to be our next PM?
  • bruneep

convert

You’d really hope…..really really hope – that if Truss does not win, JRM and Dorres are destined for the backbenches, or in my wildest dreams deselected.

kelvin

I really really hope they have key roles in the new government, that doesn’t last ‘till Christmas. MPs will want to keep their seats though… they supported Johnson because he could work his majick to get people to vote for him/them… they won’t want people hanging around who will lose them votes. The Johnson hangers on will be pushed aside. Which reminds me… Shapps (or whatever he’s called currently)… no chance… his willingness to go out and lie for Johnson mean nothing to his fellow MPs now… they won’t be interested in him leading them.

johnx2
    Free Member

The long gamer in me would like them to dredge up the most horrific turd imaginable, ideally far right. If the less rabid of the electorate that voted tory in 2019, can’t stomach them at the next GE then happy days,

That’s what folks said when Trump running for president was still a joke

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I find it remarkable that Mad Nads and The Haunted Pencil think anyone gives a shit about who they back.

ernielynch
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s about what people think that counts here. Liz Truss has currently 15 MPs endorsing her, she needs another 5 to move forward in the contest.

If Dorries and Mog endorse her tomorrow she will be closer to her target.

ernielynch
    Free Member

That’s what folks said when Trump running for president was still a joke

Yeah it’s weird how some people who were constantly riling against Johnson, pretty much suggesting that he was the worse Tory politician who has ever existed, are now claiming that they would like whoever replaces him to be even worse.

Either because it would apparently be highly amusing or because it would really piss off voters.

The likely effect on the lives of ordinary people appears to be inconsequential to them.

Cougar

there were some challenging signs in local fields and roadsides “vote Blackie not p***”

Bearing in mind that the votes will fall to the “send them back where they came from” brigade that is the bulk of paid-up Tory party members, I would be astonished if anyone with a bit of a tan stood even the remotest of chances.

kelvin

The likely effect on the lives of ordinary people appears to be inconsequential to them.

We need this government out. If Tory MPs and members pick someone that shatters their parliamentary party, brings on an early election, and loses it… ordinary people stand a better chance of a government that acts more in their interest.

ernielynch
    Free Member

I would be astonished if anyone with a bit of a tan stood even the remotest of chances.

It now looks increasingly likely, based on the growing support he is getting from Tory MPs, that Sunak will be one of the two names on the ballot paper put to Tory Party members, I really can’t imagine he won’t be.

There is currently absolutely no way of knowing which other name will be on the ballot paper but based on the make-up of the Parliamentary Tory Party those not backing Sunak will almost certainly back a hard-right candidate.

Given a choice between Sunak and a hard-right candidate I think it is highly probable that the Tory crazies in the constituencies will back the hard-right candidate.

Given the fact that a fair few hard-right leadership candidates have brown skin if it is one of them colour obviously won’t be an issue. If it’s a white one like Truss it might be an issue but they were always likely to vote hard-right anyway so it will be of no significance.

No one can predict who will replace Johnson but it is reasonable to assume that it will either be someone more right-wing like Sunak, or someone very much more right-wing.

Quite possibly brown skinned, quite possibly female.

kelvin

Sunak and Patel is a very likely final combination that could be put to the membership. If she stands. Does anyone really think she won’t? And Sunak is popular with members. He’d walk it.

If the MPs let Truss through, the members will go with her. Voters won’t be keen on that. MPs know what to do.

Northwind

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I find it remarkable that Mad Nads and The Haunted Pencil think anyone gives a shit about who they back.

Oh I think a lot of the .29% idolise one or the other

ernielynch
    Free Member

If Tory MPs and members pick someone that shatters their parliamentary party,

Whichever two names are on the final ballot paper they will only get there after having received significant support from Parliamentary Party.

The idea that the Parliamentary Tory Party might turn against them isn’t feasible. There might be a few disaffected individual Tory MPs, although probably not, but it won’t make any difference as the Tories have a 70 plus majority. No dissatisfied Tory is going to force an early general election.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I have no doubt that Boris will be looking to throw his hat into the ring if he can surreptitiously gather enough support.

kelvin

Winning that confidence vote means that he could within the rules… but will he if he knows he’d lose horribly? And in votes this week he would. He may well be hoping something comes up before September to change his fortunes as PM. He won’t have given up hope entirely. But he won’t put his name in this week. It would be an embarrassing total defeat if he did.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@kelvin – Yes, that’s why he’s played it out this way; it still gives him hope. There’s no other reason to trade dignity to remain as a lame-duck like this. Odds are probably against him I agree, but tomorrow is a new day in politics. This strategy is entirely befitting his narcissistic personality; he thinks he’s Churchill and this could be his ‘Churchillian moment’.

inkster
    Free Member

The absolute worse thing about this sham of an election is that Labour can say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, because they instituted the same dumb arrangement with their own party emnership.

It’s f***ing monkey tennis.

kerley
    Free Member

Bearing in mind that the votes will fall to the “send them back where they came from” brigade that is the bulk of paid-up Tory party members, I would be astonished if anyone with a bit of a tan stood even the remotest of chances.

You are not getting how these people think. There are good brown people and bad brown people which changes to suit the scenario.

kerley
    Free Member

Sunak and Patel is a very likely final combination that could be put to the membership. If she stands. Does anyone really think she won’t? And Sunak is popular with members. He’d walk it.

He certainly would. I remember seeing Patel at the very bottom of tory member popularity where Sunak was at the top. I always assumed the tory members would love Patel but maybe she is too much of a **** even for them?

binners

Sunak is the only one not wildly throwing around unaffordable uncosted tax cuts and appears to be advocating policy that might survive first contact with reality, so in the post Brexit La-La-land that is the UK economy that will be his undoing.

The Tory membership don’t want reality in any form, they want their Brexit fantasyland retold to them like it’s all going brilliantly, so it’s now apparently going to fund massive tax cuts for them

piemonster

Oh I think a lot of the .29% idolise one or the other

Curious thing, the only publicly stated (from Joe Public) support Ive seen for the Haunted Pencil, both online and in person. Has come from working class northerners (in England), and theyve also usually cited “well spoken intelligence” as a key reason.

Whether hes a **** or not, didnt seem to factor.

There might be support further south than I venture in England (Northants way) dunno.

nickc

so it’s now apparently going to fund massive tax cuts for them

That’s not that unfeasible, it’s just that the rest of us (working, with mortgages, with children, etc etc) will pay more to fund it.

jimmy

“well spoken intelligence”

They’re conflating the two. Well spoken does not equal intelligence, especially in Mogg’s case. But if one speaks well about Brexit, one is deemed to be intelligent.

martinhutch

You couldn’t make it up.

the-muffin-man

Well – someones made that up! ^^^^

martinhutch

Sorry, having trouble telling the difference between reality and satire these days. 🙂

kelvin

You can see his real logo in use here…

TT

…he may well be a bit of tit, but that other logo is “made up”.

olddog

Editor of Conservative Home reckons it will be Sunak plus the right winger of choice of MPs goes to the Conservative Members. So strong possibility of a Truss or Mordaunt as next PM

intheborders
    Free Member

Unfortunately until “ordinary people” actually fully experience where the Tory Party has gone (and is going) it won’t make them really think about the consequences – basically they need to understand what not having access to free-at-source healthcare really means to them. This is the one ‘policy’ that the majority of UK folk just don’t have a lived-in experience of living without.

That’s not that unfeasible, it’s just that the rest of us (working, with mortgages, with children, etc etc) will pay more to fund it.

When I had a mortgage (up to mid 2000’s) the normal ‘margin’ for the vast majority of borrowers was 1% above Base Rate, it’s now 4%. Where is that money going?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/11/average-svr-mortgage-paid-uk-borrowers-tops-5-per-cent

ernielynch
    Free Member

plus the right winger of choice of MPs

Yup, the idea that a right-winger who does not meet with the approval of Tory MPs might be elected as leader is wishful thinking by some.

Whoever the eventual the winner is it is extremely likely that they will lurch the Tory Party significantly to the right.

I intensely disliked Johnson when he was London mayor as the alternative was Ken Livingstone. I disliked him far less as Tory leader as the most likely alternative was considerably more right-wing.

tjagain

My comfortable middle class aunt and cousin love JRM and Johnson. Rabid brexiteers as well.

binners

Sorry, having trouble telling the difference between reality and satire these days. 🙂

Seems Penny (nor any of her team) had watched the New Statesman. Life imitating art…

bruneep

nickc

Ship all 11 out to Rwanda, take away their passports, and give them each a bundle of cash, and a wonky PAG phone. First one back to No.10 gets to be PM

kelvin

Shame that wasn’t the selection process when Rory Stewart was a candidate.

binners

Rishi is about to officially launch his leadership campaign this morning.

The rumours are that he’s dispensing with the slick videos that we saw yesterday and to try and identify with the ‘red wall’ seats is hosting it at a social club in Rotherham where he will do a Flipchart presentation, before pork pies and sausage rolls in the Arthur Scargill suite to finish

In other news the haunted pencil and Mad Nad have just given a press conference to say they are both backing Liz Truss, referring to her as ‘a proper Eurosceptic’

Well… only when it suited her. Prior to that… not so much

Still… I’m sure she’s a woman of firm principle

winston
    Free Member

I think Penny B’stard has it nailed:

Who in this country was not moved when that great Englishman, Gazza, wept bitter tears at the World Cup last year? People thought that he was crying because he had been booked by the umpire and so would miss the final. But that was not the reason. He was crying at the thought that the Conservative government, the only government this young hero had ever known, was behind in the opinion polls. He was weeping at the threat of the return to power of a Labour rabble led by a bald Welsh windbag, dedicated to destroying Britain’s prosperity, running down our currency, encouraging satanist abuse of our children, spreading AIDS through their sponsorship of homosexual behaviour, abolishing the House of Lords, and executing the royal family. Gazza didn’t want that for his children, do you want it for yours? Or do you want a government that lets you share in Britain’s prosperity by offering you the chance of five, yes five, free Sun jackpot bingo cards with every registered Tory membership application? Yes, apply now to join the Tory party at this week’s once in a lifetime special offer price of only £9.99 and you will receive a free Tarzan Teenage Hero Turtle T-shirt, a Gazza car tidy, and the News of the World every Sunday for a year.

doris5000

I remember seeing Patel at the very bottom of tory member popularity where Sunak was at the top. I always assumed the tory members would love Patel but maybe she is too much of a **** even for them?

I think Patel is in the awkward position of being too horrible for the moderates, but not horrible enough for the headbangers.

martinhutch

Shapps didn’t last long, then. 🙂 Meanwhile, Dorries and Rees-Mogg are eulogising over the pro-Brexit credentials of Liz Truss, who campaigned for Remain in 2016.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,678 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.