Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,678 total)
  • So…who’s going to be our next PM?
  • kelvin

johnx2

it’s not starmer who’s sent the tories further right it’s Farrage.

And what we need at the next election is to make sure Labour win where they can, Libdems and Sco Nats win where labour can’t.

(And as for saying the right is advancing – on power not public opinion particularly – in the US because the dems aren’t left enough…? Blimey. Run that by me again…)

^ ^ ^ ^

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Are you sure?

Reasonably. Maybe I’m watching a different video to you. Let me know where it is so I can score the video properly!

I was somewhat confused on the addition of the Mediterranean Shipping Company container ship, seeing as they’re owned by a Geneva based company. Minus points for featuring something based in nasty horrible europe the place where the bad people are. Unless that’s what the aircraft carrier in the next shot has gone off to put a stop to?

kelvin

The original or the remix?

I don’t know. Having Jo Cox in the version I saw seemed particularly odd.

rone

it’s not starmer who’s sent the tories further right it’s Farrage.

Okay so we’ve found the source of the problem – what is Starmer doing to push back against this sort of thing?

kelvin

Retreat back towards policies that are welcome in the cities, but not the towns of England, gifting the Conservatives the seats they need to carry on building on the advantage the FPTP system gives them via boundary changes and voter disfranchisement, and removing checks, balances and rights of individuals and communities that might stand in the way of their get rich(er) quick schemes for themselves and their backers?

martinhutch

Having Jo Cox in the version I saw seemed particularly odd.

Put there cynically to drive outrage clicks.

binners

Oh goody! Another Keir Starmer thread to go along with the other two.

Just what everybody wanted!

Shall we all cut our losses now and leave the same spirit-crushingly tiresome and tedious 5 people to furiously agree with each other in their Corbynite circle jerk?

Anyway… back to the actual subject, it looks like it’s just more of the same, whoever gets it.

Promising the inherent contradiction of ‘reformed’ public services, which we all know just means privatised, and tax cuts for those that don’t really need it. All with a side helping of the rabid, racist anti-everything culture war, lots of flags and the desire to turn the country into a 1950’s theme park

That Penny video is absolutely toe-curling but I’m sure it’s target market will lap it up. I’m sure Instagram Liz will be currently in the process of producing something with even more flags, Spitfires and aircraft carriers

chrismac

Promising the inherent contradiction of ‘reformed’ public services, which we all know just means privatised, and tax cuts for those that don’t really need it. All with a side helping of the rabid, racist anti-everything culture war, lots of flags and the desire to turn the country into a 1950’s theme park

I think that’s about 100 years to modern for JRM

After reading about the Uber dodgy dealings (to be polite) then I have no confidence in any of then doing any better than Boris. They maybe better at hiding their lies and help for donors but that will be all

rone

Shall we all cut our losses now and leave the same spirit-crushingly tiresome and tedious 5 people to furiously agree with each other in their Corbynite circle jerk?

You know, why be so ill-mannered?

Starmer could keep himself out of these threads by not looking over the Tories shoulders and dealing right-wing amplification.

P.S Don’t you want Starmer to be your next PM then? – VONC – LOSE – G.E – Maybe Starmer? about a 5% chance but enough to be shoe-horned in here.

Next you’ll be policing the Starmer thread.

richmtb

If someone had told me that Penny Mordaunt video was a parody i would have believed it.

Its like a Mr Chumley Warner sketch by Harry Enfield.

Actually that’s not quite right, those sketches generally had some sort of satirical message, that video was just vacuous flag shagging nonsense.

kelvin

Is the premix version up somewhere? I still don’t know who’s been edited out.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m sure Instagram Liz will be currently in the process of producing something with even more flags, Spitfires and aircraft carriers

I think Mordaunt has dun robbed her funder… she got not just Thatcher but also Churchill’s statue in the promo vid, AND she had not only a Spitfire but the whole BoB memorial flight with Hurricane and Lanc.

What’s Liz got left? Beer and bulldogs? Bendy bananas?

@kelvin

pre-edit, I think:

Jonnie Peacock, who wasn’t asked.
    The internationally famous girlfriend murdering Oscar Pistorius, chatting to Peacock.
    A rozzer, who can’t be in a political video.
    Jo Cox, with massively inappropriate voiceover.

scotroutes

Having Jo Cox in the version I saw seemed particularly odd.

IIRC* the voiceover at that point was saying something about respecting folks with different viewpoints? I can see why they’d not choose a living Labour MP. Not only would it give credence to the current opposition, they might complain.

* I’m not watching it again.

sc-xc

Is the premix version up somewhere? I still don’t know who’s been edited out.

Wasn’t it Johnnie Peacock? I’m sure I saw something.

martinhutch

Oscar Pistorius. Y’know, the murderer. 🙂

dissonance

What’s Liz got left? Beer and bulldogs? Bendy bananas?

Simple.
    Truss flying a spitfire
    Truss kissing churchills statue
    Truss trying to replicate Thatcher standing in a tank
    Truss trying to replicate Thatcher in lots of other poses.

dissonance

If I had put all my hopes behind Starmer I would as well. I am surprised they have gone for sulking rather than dribbling out childish memes though.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Fill yer boots:

Liz is going to deliver, deliver, deliver. Like shitting deliveroo.

She’s negotiated trade deals with Australia and Japan, don’t you know. Shortly, she’ll be opening up new pork markets or inventing a new cheese or some bollocks like that.

Massive fail on the bulldog front.

kelvin

Well, that was dull.

dissonance

Fill yer boots:

Says all that the camera person seems to have decided they couldnt handle that speech sober. At least thats why I assume the angle randomly wanders around.

ernielynch
    Free Member

He despises any criticism of Saint Starmer.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well, that was dull.

You’re not wrong.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wow, watching those vids i feel like I’ve been trepanned and had pint of stupid poured in to my head

binners

She’s negotiated trade deals with Australia and Japan, don’t you know

Don’t forget Texas. She negotiated a trade deal with Texas too, favouring a one-state-at-a-time approach which will take decades.

Rumours that this means the long-awaited return of the Texan bar have so far proved unfounded, but retro chocolate could yet swing it for Liz

dudeofdoom

Yeah – they are pretty frightening.

I think they are missing the plot with the cost of living crisis and fiddling whilst Rome burns as they go thru the spectacle of anointing another leader.

I suppose the don’t get it as they have so much disposable income or just claim more expenses.

dudeofdoom

Grief I could murder a TEXAN, where do I vote.

kelvin

I think they are missing the plot with the cost of living crisis and fiddling whilst Rome burns as they go thru the spectacle of anointing another leader.

Remember who they are looking to win the votes of. The cost of living crisis isn’t hitting us all in the same way. The well off retired folk that mostly make up those who have a vote in the leadership election aren’t struggling, the party keeps looking after them. And looking past this leadership contest towards the next election… that constituency are really motivated to vote. They are the base. Not the workers or low income retirees worried about eating or heating this winter. Heating or second winter city break perhaps. This is also why every candidate will go in hard on Brexit benefits (without identifying any real ones), whatever they might have said in the past. Keep the old and well off on side.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Don’t forget Texas. She negotiated a trade deal with Texas too

I must have missed that – was it announced on the same day as the whole failing-to-remember-the-names-of-the-breakaway-states-in-the-Donbas-region-and-get-ridiculed-by-Russian-foreign-minister thing?

The well off retired folk

Target market. Enjoys patriotic music, Churchill biographies, and telling people that Thatcher got it all right.

sharkey
    Free Member

Isn’t the voice over on the mordaunt video this guy Sutler

rone

The cost of living crisis isn’t hitting us all in the same way

Always worth having this one in the front of your head.

binners

The cost of living crisis isn’t hitting us all in the same way

How hard it’s hitting you is inversely proportional to the likelihood of you voting Tory in the first place, hence their failure to even acknowledge it, never mind address it

nickc

Isn’t the voice over on the mordaunt video this guy

John Hurt? I doubt it, he’s dead.

kelvin

How hard it’s hitting you is inversely proportional to the likelihood of you voting Tory in the first place

Not quite true… Brexit and Johnson reduced that cause/effect pattern for many people… whether that’s for good or just for now… who knows.

Just picking… I agree mostly.

And there lies the challenge ahead for whoever wins this… how to keep the people on side that their policies hurt but who might still vote for them… with the silver bullet that is continuously asking to be credited with delivering Brexit, and claiming that all the “good” that gives us will be undone if their party doesn’t stay in government. But that’s for another day… this leadership campaign is all about the old and comfortable off voting for who will keep the larger world at bay and their metaphorical village green spit and span.

frankconway

Spectator reporting patel is expected to declare today.
    During World at One in R4 earlier a comment that ree-smug is considering standing.
    * me rigid.

kelvin

I hope he does. He’s up for going in hard on the other candidates… as a bystander that’s what I want to see… no cosy friendly competition… let’s see them openly fight while the country is watching more closely. He’ll reveal just how nasty he is, while also damaging others. I’d rather this happened while in opposition, because of any knock on damage on our country’s reputation… but it needs to happen at some point… if it’s now, so be it.

TiRed

She negotiated a trade deal with Texas too

Stiltons for Stetsons.

With regards to Jo Cox, I’d give Mordaunt the benefit of the doubt here. She helped set up development grants in memory and has spoken on the subject many times since. But Spitfire, Hurricane AND a Lancaster. Irony is dead. I was expecting Jerusalem next.

inkster
    Free Member

Bystanders is the right word Kelvin.

Sorry to hammer the ‘Logan’s Run’ analogy but that is exactly what’s happening. Less than a tenth of one percent of the population, made up of mostly pensioners and disproportionately white and male are getting to decide who will best ptrotect their pensions and how they are going to force those of working age to believe.

Brexit is the ‘Domed City’, built to entrap its citizens as much as it is designed to keep people out.

Cougar

Jonnie Peacock, who wasn’t asked.
    The internationally famous girlfriend murdering Oscar Pistorius, chatting to Peacock.
    A rozzer, who can’t be in a political video.
    Jo Cox, with massively inappropriate voiceover.

WTF did I just watch?!

“Choose them because you trust their motives”
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

nickc

I was expecting Jerusalem next.

It’s I vow to thee, my Country isn’t it? Much more properly Nationalistic.

Speeder

nickc
    John Hurt? I doubt it, he’s dead.

I blame the Alien(s)

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,678 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.