• This topic has 2,677 replies, 250 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bigrich.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,678 total)
  • So…who’s going to be our next PM?
  • nickc

In 2016 she said that she didn’t want her daughters to grow up in a world of barriers and wanted them to have clean water, fresh air and an healthy environment so was voting to remain. in 2022 she said that she was wrong, and that she was prepared to admit she was wrong.

Which must have come as a bitter surprise to her daughters.

chestrockwell

Ah, I see, this thread needs filing with the Starmer one now and best left alone.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And she is only going to be PM (or anywhere near it) because of her apparent conversion and because of the inverted talent show that Brexit caused within the Tories. No Brexit = no Truss as PM, or Johnson for that matter.

Logical fallacy there is that without Brexit there’s no U-turn, and she’s still on the “winning” side and would probably have ended up in Cameron’s Cabinet.

super_12
    Free Member

clean water, fresh air and an healthy environment

And not a word about this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/19/water-firms-england-wales-litres-leaky-pipes-ofwat

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/19/bonuses-for-water-bosses-in-england-up-20-last-year-despite-sewage-failures

Let’s face it, Truss is going to be an absolute disaster in the job. Nothing, nothing about her – from her ability to about-turn in 30 seconds to her self-promotion to her verbal botty-dribblings – suggests even an inkling of anything that is going to make the lot of anyone below the top 0.1% any better. Her need to embrace the nonsense that is Brexit speaks volumes to the interests that have her in their pocket – things are going to get much, much worse.

ElShalimo

is super_12 another dannyh replicant?

frankconway

Ha!
    A recent arrival from about the tine gardentiger disappeared.
    Cue posts – don’t know what you’re referring to; dannyh and gardentiger – who they?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Lol @ the yellow tories blaming everyone else for Brexit when they propped up the government that went on to do it.

A50 helped along nicely by Corbyn’s 3 line whip to get it over the line something you don’t recall?……

dudeofdoom

don’t forget the election thing, all the parties enabled the farce by allowing the 2019 snap election.

mattyfez

all the parties

The scorched earth brexiteers from labour and the tories can’t pin that on the lib dems, they’ve only got circa 12 MP’s.

mattyfez

Corbyn’s 3 line whip to get it over the line something you don’t recall?

They say a week is a long time in politics, but I suspect most labour voters are suffering from a time dilation effect, simmilar to that of hit movie “interstellar”.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Corbyn was always nationalist and protectionist.
    That’s why I’m confused as to why he wanted nuclear disarmerment… maybe it was just a bone to throw to the card carrying college students?

ctk
    Free Member

ElShalimo
    is super_12 another dannyh replicant

Hope so!

ernielynch

She campaigned to remain, and then did a full volte-face when she got a sniff of a cabinet spot.

To be fair that isn’t massively different to the position of the current leader of the Labour Party.

He too campaigned to remain but now supports brexit and claims that the UK can be better off outside the EU than inside:

Exclusive: Starmer says UK can be better off outside EU than inside

Whilst they might not be identical to Truss’s reasons I suspect that his volte-face is for very similar reasons to her’s – the lure of high office.

mattyfez

Red tories.

ernielynch

is super_12 another dannyh replicant?

It’s his third incarnation this year.

I don’t know why maintains this ridiculous attempt to pass himself off as a completely different person who has no idea who dannyh is.

It would make sense if he had been banned but presumably he hasn’t been as it has been obvious for quite a while now who he is.

I can only assume that he is embarrassed by his previous behaviour and doesn’t want to be associated with his past.

Although quite why he thinks no one will notice who is when he makes no attempt at all to change his persona and bangs on about brexit and stupid and racist working-class people are at every given opportunity, remains a mystery to me.

I expect him to disappear for a while now and reappear as someone else next month.

kimbers

I see Gove is doing a runner from the Truss crazy gang before it’s too late

A Holiday from reality is how he describes Truss’s plans

Looking at the culture war clowns she’s assembling for cabinet, I think we’re all in trouble

kerley
    Free Member

Let’s face it, Truss is going to be an absolute disaster in the job.

It is still hard to believe after a few years of laughing at how bad she is as an MP that she will actually be Prime Minister. Boris was clearly just as much a joke but I could always see how he could do it.
    I think it will be good for this wanting to se the back of the tory government but there will be collateral damage with such a crazy person as PM.

binners

Marina Hyde is on the money, as ever

The last bit truly makes you shudder… that John Redwood has been earmarked for a senior cabinet position. I presume in an attempt at making the present lot look competent

John Redwood is worth following on Twitter as he’s quite prolific and it’s difficult to imagine that just one man could be more consistently wrong about absolutely everything or just contain such a mountain of stupidity

The idea of him taking essential decisions in the midst of a financial crisis is truly terrifying. Iain Duncan Smith too apparently. Another genius

Truss clearly saw the accusations that Boris surrounded himself with imbeciles (including her) to make himself look better and said ‘hold my lukewarm Chardonnay…’

kelvin

Is IDS still super popular with party members? He was not very long ago when they polled them, bafflingly. I’d be leaking that he might get a job if I was after their votes…

kimbers

What’s worrying for the Tories is that Truss & Sunak have spent weeks advertising what their policies will be

And they’re plummeting in the polls!

Sandwich

Does anyone truly believe they will be within the control of Liz Truss, whose weathervaning and largely underachieving career thus far has marked her out as a very ordinary politician indeed?

Marina Hyde bang on the money there.

trailmonkey

What’s worrying for the Tories is that Truss & Sunak have spent weeks advertising what their policies will be

And they’re plummeting in the polls!

Probably because the main line of attack for both has been to criticise the policies of their own party, in a bid to discredit each other.
    It’s been glorious watching them shoot themselves in the face.

matt_outandabout

Indeed.
    The polling better reflects the electorate.
    The hustings and all that had been said as part of them is for a very few who already hold a specific political view.

Of course there is a disconnect between the two.

So as well as being unelectable, how long before the Conservative party members implode with the realisation that what has been promised in the hustings cannot be delivered?

I also give it less than a month before the press just fully turn on her…

binners

how long before the Conservative party members implode with the realisation that what has been promised in the hustings cannot be delivered?

Given that they still haven’t realised this yet about all Borises whoppers regarding Brexit, I wouldn’t hold your breath

It seems that all you have to do is keep telling that everything is absolutely bloody brilliant and they’ll accept that without question, despite all evidence to the contrary

That’s why Liz is opting for the culture war and wrapping herself in flags. Do that and it seems the Tory membership doesn’t look too closely at anything else, especially anything as inconvenient as reality

Goves assessment of her as being ‘on holiday from reality’ was bang on, but it’s equally as applicable to the last 3 years of Johnson’s ‘sunny uplands’

rone

It’s like the battle of the biggest amount of bullshit.

Both sides.

Neither side recognising that recession can now only be fixed by government spending.

If the government contracts spending then we will have a deeper recession.

So many issues coming to a head.

It’s not the time to use fiscal responsibility as a way to elect a leader. Either leader will have to spend on something productive that is lacking in the economy.

The OBR was set up by George Osborne to effectively justify his failed austerity. They should not be used as a marker of how to operate spending.

martinhutch

Sleepwalking into a disaster for a large swathe of the population. It’s a national emergency, and we have the prospect of the least competent government in UK history to stop people going without food and heat.

nickc

Criminal Barristers; well known as a hotbed of militant Industrial action have voted to go on indefinite strike 

brexitrefugee
    Free Member
    breatheeasy
    Free Member

That Honest Gov advert is spot on!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

In reality Liz is just saying what that tiny proportion of the population who decide her fate want to hear, despite it being unpopular with basically everyone else. Cue a volte face once shes got the job.

I’ve just watched a great April fools spoof in August where they suggested GPs write prescriptions to the most venerable who actually manage to get an appointment. Admittedly the original source appears to the The Sun but even that kind of suggestion being let out into the wild regardless of whether is true or not (or even workable) just shows how much they’ve already lost the plot.

bruneep

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Must be nice being able to eat an ice cream and not worry about brain freeze @trussliz ford B lce COME'

breatheeasy
    Free Member

how long before the Conservative party members implode with the realisation that what has been promised in the hustings cannot be delivered?

Jam tomorrow, the oldest Conservative trick in the book.

Northwind

breatheeasy
    Free Member

In reality Liz is just saying what that tiny proportion of the population who decide her fate want to hear, despite it being unpopular with basically everyone else. Cue a volte face once shes got the job.

Tory britain- where the absolute best you can hope for is that the new prime minister was lying about absolutely everything they said in their election campaign.

brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Honest Govt advert on the UK

She talks like a text-to-speak app! Good vid though.

binners

It seems like the few Tory MPs who still have the vaguest contact with the real world – and they’re a rare breed – are all coming out in support of Sunak, as they’re finally recognising the scale of the problem

Unfortunately, neither Liz, the barking mad MPs who support her and the senile old Home Counties racists that constitute the Tory membership don’t want to hear it. They want their La-La-land, Brexit, Empire 2.0 Thatcher cosplay

I think any u-turns on what she’s saying now is just wishful thinking. It’s pretty apparent that she actually believes the shite she’s spouting

She seems to think a cut in corporation tax will be all that’s required as inflation hits 18%.

We are truly ****ed!

steveb

Seems Liz has sewage on her hands….

Guardian linky

Of course only the poor go to the seaside in the UK, so Tories don’t care, as they fly away to their villa in the med.

ernielynch

You might not agree with their choice but I am not in the least bit convinced that Tory party members aren’t interested in choosing a leader who will win them the next general election – why wouldn’t they be?

And there is no reason to assume that it would be impossible for Liz Truss to win a general election, especially if she calls an early snap election as apparently most voters feel she should:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-truss-sunak-general-election-poll-b2133188.html

Certainly Starmer’s head of strategy believes she could:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/22/liz-trusss-arrival-in-no-10-could-deliver-tories-a-big-bounce-in-polls

And helpfully Starmer has called for a snap election whoever wins. From the first link:

Sir Keir Starmer has already challenged whoever succeeds the outgoing prime minister on 5 September to call a snap election, insisting that the Labour Party is “ready” to govern after 12 years on the opposition benches.

Although I am not sure what Starmer means by Labour being “ready” to govern as by his own admission he has scrapped all of Labour’s policies and now has a “clean slate”.

He is apparently personally deciding what Labour policies should be and all he has come up with so far appears to be a five point plan to “make brexit work” :

Keir Starmer sets out Labour’s 5-point plan to Make Brexit Work

But I think he might need more than that and a six month energy price freeze to put to British voters.

dazh

I think any u-turns on what she’s saying now is just wishful thinking.

If she doesn’t she’ll be out of office within 6 months. She might not even make it to Christmas. When winter kicks in and the collapse starts to accelerate people will be out on the streets. There’s a significant rump of senior Tory MPs aligning against her. When the shit hits the fan they’ll abandon her. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they didn’t support her in a VONC.

ernielynch

You turn if you want, the lady’s not for turning!

Except for which political party to back, abolition of the monarchy, brexit, and some less monumental U-turns such as lower pay for public sector workers outside the South East.

Apart from that, the lady’s not for turning.

molgrips
    Free Member

So let me be very clear: with Labour, Britain will not go back into the EU. We will not be joining the single market. We will not be joining a customs union.

The reason I say this is simple. Nothing about revisiting those rows will help stimulate growth or bring down food prices or help British business thrive in the modern world.

It would simply be a recipe for more division

Umm.. the division would still be the same, remain vs leave, wouldn’t it?

You’re not healing any divisions at all by pressing ahead.

rone

Campaigning on policy ideas and sticking with them are two different things.

As recent leaders have demonstrated.

Truss is doing nothing more than most leaders do – saying things to get elected (that are meant to appeal to the membership.)

When in power it won’t be so much as a U-turn as a shell shock over what needs to be done.

I mean bear in mind Johnson promised everything and delivered nothing, and I’m not sure Truss has the same approach.

This early general election is a risky strategy if that plays out. Can’t see it but stranger things have happened.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,678 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.