• This topic has 2,677 replies, 250 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bigrich.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,678 total)
  • So…who’s going to be our next PM?
  • Northwind

Braverman is the attorney general who defended her lawbreaking boss and literally said that it was OK for him to break the law, and ok for him to get gentler treatment than the general public, because “democracy” ie got brexit dun. It’s one thing for a Dorres or someone to come out with that sort of shit but she was attorney general. Her job literally includes intervening when people receive overly lenient sentences, and advising and representing the government in legal matters, and she appoints the director of public prosecutions- and she was his handpicked candidate. Imagine any other silk with that level of conflict of interest.

“I will do whatever the Prime Minister asks me to do.” She finally managed to criticise him at the last but still wouldnt resign.

inkster
    Free Member

What Giuliani was to Trump, Braverman was to Johnson.

I really don’t care who wins beyond who would be the least likely to unnecessarily antagonize Russia for personal or party political gain.

rone

Sajid Javid – was linked to CDOs collateralised debt obligations (packaged toxic debt) during the last finance crisis.

These people aren’t even good at capitalism.

Vile.

dazh

So at a time when people are screaming for help financially, Rishi Sunak the billionaire is standing on a platform of fiscal restraint and austerity. Talk about finger on the pulse! If Starmer is lucky Sunak might actually win.

rone

So at a time when people are screaming for help financially, Rishi Sunak the billionaire is standing on a platform of fiscal restraint and austerity

Arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

These people are lunatics.

Also it’s fine for them to be extremely well off but not okay for everyone else to have some wedge.

ElShalimo

They’re all just jockeying for position in the stalls. E.g. Badenoch. She’s useless but demonstrating that you think you’re good enough to be leader, even if delusional, makes you more likely to end up with a position in the next Cabinet even if just a junior minister.

kimbers

Sunak Vs Braverman in the finals?

You’d hope at that point the membership would be sensible

TiRed

Most of them have no expectation of leadership, they are kite flying to the eventual winner that their score is rising and they should be considered for a job in the winning cabinet. But Braverman, she’s out. I suspect she knows it.

rone

The winner will be the smartest that offers some sort of band-aid to the current problems but dresses it up in a fiscal pissery.

Austerity just doesn’t make sense.

intheborders
    Free Member

Most of them have no expectation of leadership, they are kite flying to the eventual winner that their score is rising and they should be considered for a job in the winning cabinet. But Braverman, she’s out. I suspect she knows it.

Remember the ‘money’ that financed Johnson’s journey and also ensured that a political nobody got a prime seat & then the top Ministerial job? It’ll also decide who the next Leader is and IMO it doesn’t matter who it is, the ‘agenda’ is already set.

v8ninety

Steve Baker rules himself out and backs Braverman. Truly the Brexit headbangers choice.

In other news, Ben Wallace rules himself out.

frankconway

It won’t be Wallace – he’s just ruled himself out.

rone

scotroutes

Bill has come over to appoint a new “leader”

😂😂😂😂😂

finbar
    Free Member

I’m not au fait enough with that particular conspiracy theory – Bill Gates can presumably influence who the next Tory leader is because paedos/5G/microchips/lizards? Or is there more to it?

gordimhor

This really is fiddling while Rome burns taking 3 months to pick a leader while energy prices rise faster than even recent predictions.

tpbiker
    Free Member

What’s with all these tories who are first or second generation immigrants, who in one breath hark on about how Fantastic Britain is and the opportunity it’s given them, and in the next crow on about tighter laws on immigration

At least 3 are considering leadership bids

Hypocritical xxxxs

stumpyjon

Its quite normal for people from a previous immigration wave to be hostile or even openly racist towards those in the next. Patel and Braverman are classic examples.

Also got to remember many from the wave of Asian immigration actually came out of Africa where many had been very middle class and held establishment positions under British rule, very different backgrounds to many of todays immigrants who are fleeing war zones and countries that have been destroyed through years of comflict.

inkster
    Free Member

“BREAKING: Rishi Sunak has explained only he can rebuild the economy that was destroyed by Rishi Sunak”

In the ‘ you broke it, you fix it’ spirit I guess you could say he’s showing integrity.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ugh, Wallace was vile* but least mental wasn’t he? Who’s the next best option?

*I may have just missed something tho.

inkster
    Free Member

“Talk about finger on the pulse! If Starmer is lucky Sunak might actually win.”

Agreed, Sunak would be the Labour choice. Angela Rayner might even make little Rishi cry.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Also got to remember many from the wave of Asian immigration actually came out of Africa where many had been very middle class and held establishment positions under British rule, very different backgrounds to many of todays immigrants who are fleeing war zones and countries that have been destroyed through years of comflict.

This is very true

Still makes them xxxxs though in my book!

Maybe it’s just me but out of the options that have a slight chance of winning, Sunak strikes me as the least bad option. Imagine Patel as PM…it doesn’t bare thinking about.

tjagain

Tpbiker.

Imo its also to do well in the Tory party they need to be more anti immigration and more extreme in an attempt to appeal to the membership. Their tragedy is that they will never be fully accepted. Johnson used them as a fig leaf as well to hide his own racism

docgeoffyjones

According to the Daily Mail… Dorries is thinking of running for leader.

#gonads is trending on twitter 😁

inkster
    Free Member

“#gonads is trending on twitter 😁”

You’re talking bollocks.

ernielynch

Its quite normal for people from a previous immigration wave to be hostile or even openly racist towards those in the next. Patel and Braverman are classic examples.

I think accusations of racism might be an exaggeration. Lots of people are selfish arseholes, some of them happen to have brown skin.

A white Eton educated Tory politician might well strongly condemn white working-class trade unionists who are engaged in a dispute with an employer of South Asian heritage, but no one would be surprised, or accuse him of being racist. Except for people from far-right organisations who would more than likely express outrage and accuse him of racism.

So yeah, some people with brown skin have embraced Tory values of selfishness, looking after yourself, and **** everyone else.

Greybeard
    Free Member

There could be some tactical voting in the final round of MP votes. The final choice will be made by the party members, some of whom are unlikely to vote for immigrants whose families arrived after 1066. If there’s a clear front runner, the second place may be influenced by race.

shermer75
    Free Member

ElShalimo

Nah, she’s an air ambulance paramedic. She’s just indicating she can’t go for lunch as they’ve got a shout to go to. Apparently there’s a disoriented, fat, sweaty bloke trapped in a house on Downing Street.

ElShalimo

Or she could have an undeclared second job?

inkster
    Free Member

“There could be some tactical voting in the final round of MP votes. The final choice will be made by the party members, some of whom are unlikely to vote for immigrants whose families arrived after 1066. If there’s a clear front runner, the second place may be influenced by race.”

Absolutely nails the precariousness of the position we are in.

There has been talk that the Tories will bypass the membership in order to fast track the process. Whilst I think it unlikely I cartainly believe it would be a good thing but I guess they’ll have to make their mind up on Monday. That gives 36 hours for other candidates and cabinet appointees to disgrace themselves like Baker and Jenkyns have, which might prompt the 22 to lance the boil.

piemonster

Bill has come over to appoint a new “leader”

Good lord, followed a few tweets from that and its an awful lot of “the media wont tell you”

Well, except the first one was about farmer protests. And typing in farmers europe brings up pages and pages of news articles about them.

The second one was the protests in Sri Lanka not being reported. Except again it is being reported.

chrismac

I don’t think sunak can win if it guest to the membership for the final vote. Too brown for the party faithful and not Brexit enough

frankconway

It’s a circus; if mad nad stands it will then become a freak show.

ratherbeintobago

She’s said she won’t.

Meanwhile Zahawi’s tax affairs are being investigated by HMRC, the Mail is publicly soiling itself and the Times is reporting that the various candidates are briefing the Lab front bench about their opponents’ tax affairs, and use of drugs and prostitutes. At least the business about Johnson trying to run is not happening.

It’s all so exhausting.

I don’t think sunak can win if it guest to the membership for the final vote. Too brown for the party faithful and not Brexit enough

And there’s the unresolved issue about the green card; while he’s done nothing illegal under UK law, the Americans might disagree, and either way it doesn’t look great and is an easy line of attack.

airvent
    Free Member

What is it about their leadership context that takes so long? You could do it in a week, get everyone who wants to enter to sign their name and submit their bid, then allow one week for all party members to review it, then hold a vote.

Not sure what their multiple stage contest really adds to the process other than giving them three months of free press coverage advertising the party.

kelvin

If it goes to members, they leave time for hustings, where members can question the 2 final candidates directly. If they want/need to leave members out, they could set the rules on Monday and have a new leader on Wednesday.

scotroutes

Greybeard
    Free Member

If they want/need to leave members out, they could set the rules on Monday and have a new leader on Wednesday.

If there’s enough of a majority that want Boris out by Thursday, that might happen.

Northwind

Since Javid’s leading with “only I can fix the economy which I’ve broken”, I guess Javid and Hunt can do the same for the nhs

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,678 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.