So, who’s getting Eagle AXS then?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • So, who’s getting Eagle AXS then?
  • Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I suspect for someone who cares about shift quality it’s going to be something that shouldn’t be tried unless you’re prepared to spring for it… (meaning electronic shifting in general)

dirtyrider

According to bicycling it’s due sometime mid 2019 although since Shimano seem to be having delivery troubles post fire it may be delayed a little…

that article is from May last year, we are now Feb the following year, not a sniff, Scylence has been canned, the cranks have issues, no wide hub cancelled as well as the 11 speed cassette,

SRAM manufactured everything, embargo, press release and the stuff was available, today for shipping,

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

the stuff was available, today for shipping,

…ish. Delivery dates showing as 11/3 for xx1, 25/3 for xo1.

dirtyrider

i forgot we was on about the MTB stuff, road though, available

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Not really interested in a Shimano vs SRAM bash. I have my preference as I suspect most do, and I buy accordingly. For me, that’s SRAM for MTB and Shimano for drops and brakes from neither.

For sure, Shimano have canned the Scylence hub, the 11sp cassette and hub and had big delays even with the crank for 9100, but I’d be amazed if they just walked away from Di2 and abandoned it. It’s coming, just probably a model year late the way things are going.

bigrich

that were replaced under warranty. One was a second hand fork.

ooo, an anecdote. how about this? road brakes bought from a dealer in a sealed box apparently had the wrong fluid in causing them to fail, and that’s the consumers fault.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

The rrp is 2k (euros) for the x01, and for the normal x01 eagle is 1400 euros.

x01 eagle you can get for 1100, if the axs eagle actually sells for around 16-1700 than I will probably go for it, 500 more is a lot, but as a additional % on the bike I am building, I can absorb the extra.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I think this will be the clincher for most people who are prepared to consider top end groups, where the actual price ends up.

SRAM doesn’t tend to get as deeply discounted as Shimano but it’s not unreasonable to expect the price to not be as high as RRP, certainly once the first rush of buyers have been served and there’s product sitting around looking for buyers.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

Certainly considering getting the X0. I love the look of the X1 with the rainbow bling, but as theyre aimed for XC i would be terrified of how fragile they might be. My LBS will already knock off a couple of hundred quid, as i’m a long term customer with them. The only real problem i have is that i’ll need a new wheelset for the XD freehub…what i REALLY want is a set of Santa Cruz Reserves, but that makes it a bit too rich for my liking (another £1600), i suspect a set of JRA Traildog Carbon wheels will be plenty good enough as theyre nearly half the price of the Reserves.

Buzzard

Any chance anyone knows where just the shifter/der are available or indeed when they are expected as seperates??

ta11pau1

The rear mech and shifter prices haven’t been released yet so they’re unlikely to be available anywhere officially.

Keep an eye on here https://launch.sram.com/en/axs/eagle-axs—product-listing-page

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

Still a bit off I think the full groups are due towards the end of March so I would imagine the mech/control unit will follow in April/May time. Pricing wise you’re looking north of £900 for the mech/unit/battery and charger judging on the cost of the full groups minus the bits you can buy currently.

I’m interested to see how much easier it would make a full frame swap. Presuming rear brake cable is external and if you had two frames fitted with headset and BB that could accept all the components, I imagine a competent mechanic could do a full swap in no time!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Still a bit off I think the full groups are due towards the end of March

Mines arriving either next week or week after. I reckon the separates will be anounced once that first drop/batch/whatever has shipped and is in stock with retailers. To stop them splitting groups down themselves.

philjunior

Similar to XTR Di2, if I could have it on a dedicated race bike, that would be fine. The thought of another battery (or set of batteries) to charge puts me off anything electronic though for day to day use.

DickBarton

Could the ‘secret’ paddle be used to control the Reverb? And the standard paddle be used to move up and down the cassette?

I’m late to this announcement but I’m very tempted by the shifter/control unit and the seatpost – not entirely sure why though as the prices are ridiculous, but perhaps in 6 months time when I’ve managed to save a bit of cash, the prices might be a bit lower and more ‘manageable’…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Yep. Thats what I’m planning to do. Had hoped it all would have arrived by now, but the shop shuts on a weds, fingers crossed for by the end of the week.

otsdr

Could the ‘secret’ paddle be used to control the Reverb? And the standard paddle be used to move up and down the cassette?

As can be seen in this article, there are only two physical switches; the ‘secret’ paddle is just an extension of the thumb paddle, so it cannot be mapped to anything else than whatever the downshift function is mapped to.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

You can’t control everything from one control unit no, but as you’d have the reverb remote, you use that for up/down, and the remaining one on the RH unit for the other option. Then the stealth button/what would be the up/harder shift button for the reverb.

DickBarton

It does look like the obvious settings would be up/down cassette with right hand and dropper control on left. I just wondered if you could get away with just the right hand controller for both. If not, it isn’t a deal breaker – the price is for me just now but hopefully that will drop and appear to be more acceptable.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I just wondered if you could get away with just the right hand controller for both.

Then no. But seeing as the reverb comes with the controller anyway, you may as well use it. im going to use it for shifting, haven’t decided which way yet, but might go back to the normal way, until I can set up all my mtbs like that (which may be a while…)

DickBarton

Another thought…will the Shockwiz be integrated into the AXS app?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Not that I can see, but it’s hardly a big leap for further down the line. Not sure if other Quark stuff is, like the Etap power meter etc

DickBarton

Apparently some is. Again not an issue but if you are using all the kit then it does make sense to have it all done via a single app.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

It’s heeeerrrreeeeee…. (well, at the LBS)

Follow Garage Bikes on Insta/FB as they’re, I quote, ‘gonna social media the shit out of it’

Premier Icon garagebikes
    Subscriber

I’m going to have my lunch first…

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Must….reeesist….

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Got my reverb yesterday, and took me a total of about 10 mins to fit last night. All very simple! Got it from biketart at a £50 discount..

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Ffs, Mines been on back order with zyrofishers since release…

ta11pau1

Love the biketart guys, they’ve got £130 off the X01 AXS grouset too if anyone fancies splashing the cash 😀

DickBarton

Do you think the system could work with 11-speed? Would mean I’d just need controller, charger and rear mech.

(hahaha…like I can afford that!)

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

Had it on for a few weeks now. Threw it on before the first ride and it wasn’t bad, one gear was hanging up. Then I red the instructions and indexed it and its spot on now. Shifter is really ergonomic, needed to rotate it round a lot more than normal but he trigger fits in my thumb perfectly, slight movement up and down and I can shift, its just really next level!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Do you think the system could work with 11-speed? Would mean I’d just need controller, charger and rear mech.

(hahaha…like I can afford that!)

100% doesn’t. But it will work with any 12speed cassette

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

I do find it sad that cycling has got so mad expensive

I think the good news is that their is nothing fundamentaly expensive about wireless shifting. So when it reaches Deore or SLX maybe….

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

I agree AXS is madly expensive, and I’m sure it will be a long time before wireless shifting trickles down. But equally look at 12 speed – NX/ GX stuff is perfectly good and very reasonably priced…

Premier Icon dudeofdoom
    Subscriber

I’m hoping that shimano start cutting the prices of the cablingjunctions//batteries of the di2 stuff as imho that’s the hidden expense, the wireless bit of axs is a bit overrated as you have the hassle of putting the brake lines thru the bike anyway.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

the reverb AXS takes some getting used to after using a cable operated one for some weird reason. well obviously took about 3 situations in reality. nice and smooth & absolutely no lag

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I do find it sad that cycling has got so mad expensive

There’s always been silly pricey things at the top of the range, the prices drop and the features always filter down to cheaper groups over time.

For context the Deore/NX groups you can buy at the affordable end of the scale are probably well beyond anyone’s wildest dreams 20 odd years ago.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

I was AXS curious, but to be honest given the fragility of cable driven eagle I would be difficult to convince now. Having something so fragile so low to the ground with such an expensive replacement price puts me right off. I wish Shimano and SRAM would start investing properly into gear box systems.

ta11pau1

For those with the AXS reverb, are the dimensions the same as a regular reverb? Rails to bottom of collar being the most important.

Very tempted by one as a single dropper to swap between 2 different bikes, if the dimensions are the same as the hydraulic reverb it means I’ll have 20mm post showing maximum on one of the bikes, which is close but doable. I’m willing to bet the rail/head height is more though…

Edit: just re-watched one of the launch videos and they’re the same stack height as the standard reverb. Woo!

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Does anybody know ridewill.it – they are showing full x01 AXS groupsets for under £1300 shipped…?!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.