So, who’s getting Eagle AXS then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • So, who’s getting Eagle AXS then?
  • Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Not for a long time I think!

I kind of like the simplicity of cables but no doubt I will jump ship eventually…… When prices are comparable to current group sets.

So…. A long time from now.lol

iolo

You press a shifter, it changes gear. Wow.

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

Well given the group is £1900, it’s easy enough to work out, just take out the cranks, cassette and chain as they’re shared with regular Eagle and you’re there. It’s £1000 at RRP pretty much. One. Thousand. Pounds. For a rear mech and shifter. I’m out!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

One. Thousand. Pounds. For a rear mech and shifter. I’m out!

The major retailers were selling a red etap ‘groupset’ (F+R mech, batteries and shifters) for sub £1000 long before the 12s release was imminent, so roughly half that, no?

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

General savings on current eTap groups seems to top out around 25-30%, I’d expect the same for this before long, but even so that’s still at least £700 on a rear mech and shifter! I’m not normally one to be put off by price, but that is mental!

Hob Nob

I expect the retail to be knocking on a grand for a shifter & mech to work with my current system.

I’m sure it will be cheaper at some point. Even then I would struggle to spend that much, no matter how good it is.

The new Reverb looks interesting though (but not at $800) – they have basically made it into a wireless BikeYoke. Or a Magura Vyron that actually works (irony).

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

At that price, unless somewhere was having a 90% off sale I will never be buying it.

If the shifter+mech was, say, £600 then it might be doable. Anything more than that and it sounds a lot of money, for what is an wifi paddle switch, and a mech with a motor.

But I’d love it, for sure.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

They’ll have to drag me kicking and screaming to having anything electronic on my bike (lights notwithstanding) not because I don’t think it won’t work, or I worry about having to charge my groupset, not even the staggering price, which will no doubt fall through the floor once CRC get their hands on it and more so when NX Eagle AXS launches in 3-4 years time.

Nope, I spend my working days dealing with electronic stuff and the few moments a week I get away from it I like to mechanics, not electronics. I don’t demand, or expect anyone else to share this opinion.

Premier Icon StuE
    Subscriber

My Magura Vyron as well now as it did 2 years ago when I first got it,yes it does take a few rides to get used to it but now I don’t give it a second thought

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

I’m going to skip straight past the “don’t want any batteries on my bike” excuses, and straight up admit that I’d have it if I could afford it. Especially the seatpost. I might save up and buy just the pretty chain…

Looks like an awesome bit of kit to me but out of my price range. But despite the eye watering price I don’t think it’s out of kilter with other high end components….I mean why £1k is deemed rediculous for a high tech group set is considered rediculous, yet people seem to think £3k plus is ok for a frame set. There as been some proper engineering development and innovation in the Etap groupset, much more so than a frame set and innovation doesn’t come cheap.

ta11pau1

Oh, wait – you want ALL of my money?! 😮

The reverb at £700 – the old reverb was £400 rrp not that long ago and they’re what, under £200 now?

I’d hope the mech + shifter would come in under £500 at some point but I won’t hold my breath…

Premier Icon cokie
    Subscriber

I’d have this without a doubt if I could afford it, along with the seatpost.
    I hate cables. It’s clutter and means it’ll need adjustment and servicing at some point.
    Go wireless and electric and I’ll just charge it with my Garmin & lights as and when.
    Look forward to trickle down.

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

One other thing I did notice from reading through a few articles online was the fork fitted to the bikes equipped with the new groupsets… Look like MY2020 Pikes with the RC2 damper from the Lyrik, now that is something I can on board with!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

The reverb at £700 – the old reverb was £400 rrp not that long ago and they’re what, under £200 now?

£250ish with the 1x lever from CRC. (less than LBS trade price.)

robertpb

It will only be worth thinking about when it can survive British riding conditions, everywhere it’s been tested so far looks very parched.
    If it can still shift with leaves and mud stuck to it and a chain that sounds like it has grinding paste running through it then maybe.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

It will only be worth thinking about when it can survive British riding conditions, everywhere it’s been tested so far looks very parched.

Riders in the UK/Europe have had it for a while, I heard on the grapevine.

Also, your man in the SRAM video appears to be pronouncing it Access, not A X S. hmm

I’ve had eTap on my road and TT bikes for a few years and they’ve been faultless – the batteries last ages and you get plenty of warning before they run out.

I’d love it on my mountain bike – two less cables to worry about and (probably) faultless shifting but I’d be waiting for the day my rear mech took a hit and I was left with a £400 bill for a new one.

One day maybe. Although the Road eTap groupsets were around for a good time before discounts started appearing. Easily a year / 18 months after launch before anything more than 5/10% off was possible.

tpbiker

I’ve just seen the new road etap groupset. If you choose the crank with built in power meter it will cost you 3600 British pounds…

Best get saving

duner

I’ve not looked at the details, but assuming all you need is the mech and shifter it’s shouldn’t be that expensive. The road shifters have to include integrated hydraulic brakes which justifies the cost somewhat, the MTB shifter will literally be a switch.

mrlebowski

Indexing really isn’t THAT hard to set up – why the F would you drop £1.5k on a groupset when a mechanics course would cost you a 1/5 of the price & you learn how to look after whole bike..

I just don’t get it..

Fools & their money etc I suppose..

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Because electrical systems ALWAYS work perfectly. They never need adjusting, you never need to tweak an adjuster whilst riding. They also (AIUI) work better because they move beyond the correct spot for a quick change then trim back, which is either a bit of an art or is not really possible depending on what system you have.

the MTB shifter will literally be a switch

Very clever, I see what you did there 🙂

Premier Icon lawman91
    Subscriber

@duner, as posted earlier based on the £1900 RRP of the whole group, take out the bits aside from the shifter and mech (chain, cassette and crank) and the cost is around £1k at RRP for the mech and shifter. So still a lot!

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

I love my Di2 setup and am keen to see what the individual component prices are like. I’ll probably put this on my xc bike and move the di2 to my big bike.
    Electronic shifting is ace. I’m sold on that already. I like the idea of no wires at all too and the bottom line is that I’m a total bike tart and can’t resist shiny expensive stuff. I run Praxis Lyft cranks for crying out loud, I’m hardly not going to get this because of price!

fooman

I’ve had a quick ride on a Stumpy equipped with AXS so I can confirm it’s definitely in the UK – nobody was allowed to say until after 3pm today.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Just looking at the Mantel.com website and they are showing a difference of about £100 between a rim brake and hydraulic disc brake groupset which seems strange.

I’d be curious to see if the 12 speed rear mech will work with current 11 speed eTap. I’d imagine it would as it’s essentially only a switch but I’m sure they’ve engineered it in such a way that it’s not backwards compatible.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

No, nadda, not a chance. I don’t want gimmicky tech going wrong on a bike, regardless of cost. There’s a few spots near me where nothing talks to a garmin, so could this could replicate the issue with gear shifting or dropper’ing? Hmmmm

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I’m a total bike tart and can’t resist shiny expensive stuff. I run Praxis Lyft cranks Trickstuff brakes for crying out loud, I’m hardly not going to get this because of price!

This, though I’m not buying cranks to replace identical cranks etc

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I’d have it in a flash, someone lend me the money 💰🤣

Me, I’m in.
    I’ve had no end of trouble over the last 28 years with cable operated mechs.*

*I lied.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

I just don’t get it.

If you have plenty of cash but not much time and want to use it on stuff you enjoy?
    Admittedly would need a shedton of cash for these things to make sense but if I had it to spare can possibly see why it would make sense. Although would be put off by the idea of having to make sure its all ready to go.

How long do the batteries last on Di2 and Etap? 20 hours seems a bit on the thin side for overnighters etc.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

sub £1000 long before the 12s release was imminent, so roughly half that, no?

LOL still no.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Because electrical systems ALWAYS work perfectly. They never need adjusting, you never need to tweak an adjuster whilst riding. They also (AIUI) work better because they move beyond the correct spot for a quick change then trim back, which is either a bit of an art or is not really possible depending on what system you have.

I don’t believe that for one second. Oh hang on you’ve capitalized the word ‘ALWAYS’ it must be true!

otsdr

Next you’re going to say you only ride singlespeed and you didn’t need derailleurs anyway?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I don’t believe that for one second.

I’ve never had a problem with Di2 setup, so have no reason to think I will with this.

enigmas

Okay well I love the concept of it and di2 is excellent on my road bike so I’m all for electronic shifting in general, especially on a mtb where you have all the additional crud to gum up cables and clag the mech up.

BUT eagle mechs are mahoooosive, I regularly smash mine into rocks and have been through 3 in the last year. It’s frustrating when it’s £70 a mech but £400+, no way!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.