Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • So who’s camping this weekend?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

So now we’re allowed to go camping again who has been/planning to go this weekend?

Had a pretty stressful week and will be travelling to Europe for work next week which won’t be fun so loaded the bike up and spent the night solo up the woods in my hammock on Thursday after work. Feel so much better for it, even though it was a bit noisy with the wind!

I love how as soon as I’m up there the urge to constantly do things stops, I can just lay in there thinking about stuff for hours. And being woken up to all the birds is amazing, I live in a rural area so always hear them but being immersed is just a bit better!

ajantom

Camping from the 12th is it not?
    I know that officially applies to campsites, etc. But we’re all better off sticking to rule #1.

scotroutes

I was planning a night out last night but I’ve arranged to see a mate I’ve not been able to ride with since start of the last lockdown. The recent relaxation of restrictions in Scotland now lets us travel within LA. It’s also been very cold overnight with snow forecast next week so I’ll likely park the idea until next weekend now. I do have a couple of night in the campervan to look forward to while the snow is here!

tjagain

I have rather lost track of restrictions in Scotland but I thought camping was not on for a few weeks yet? Or are we in a grey area?

iainc

TJ, as Colin says, we are to remain in our own Local Authority for that type of stuff till at least 26th. We can travel outwith for up to 5 miles for essential exercise, that bit hasn’t changed. Also, if on an unofficial ride, we can transition LA areas as long as we stop and finish in same place which must be within 5 miles of our LA.

nickjb
    Free Member

Updated rules for england since the 29th march: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-on-accessing-green-spaces-safely

“Travelling to green spaces…
    You should not stay overnight with anyone who you do not live with unless they’re in your support bubble.”

So camping with people in your household, or alone, sounds ok

tjagain

Aye Iainc – I get that but is there anything on staying away overnight?

I get camping is almost zero risk but i was waiting until campsites / self catering opened?

am I being to prescriptive?

Edit – not getting at scotroutes more looking for clarity.

scotroutes

I’d not encourage anyone to break the rules but I’m going with the change from STAY AT HOME to STAY LOCAL as being where we’re at. The message is to stay within LA.

(if you actually click through the ScotGov guidance it still says we shouldn’t travel further than we need to to exercise safely).

tjagain

Ta

stevextc
    Free Member

Camping from the 12th is it not?
    I know that officially applies to campsites, etc. But we’re all better off sticking to rule #1.

Like I give a shit ???

You should not stay overnight with anyone who you do not live with unless they’re in your support bubble.”

Hence why I’m parked/sleeping on my mum’s drive (well not really, I’m parked on the drive to prevent infecting her when I run errands)… Boris can go do one and I’m sure my brother will pay the fine anyway so who gives a flying f—. I’m pretty sure I can get around it by driving to Barnard Castle anyway.

Spin
    Free Member

– I get that but is there anything on staying away overnight?

I don’t expect there will be specific mention of when wild camping etc is allowed but I’m definitely taking the lifting of the ‘stay at home’ rule as it being ok and will be camping and doing a few van overnights within LA in the next few weeks.

ajantom

Like I give a shit ???

Stay classy.

MoreCashThanDash

Hence why I’m parked/sleeping on my mum’s drive (well not really, I’m parked on the drive to prevent infecting her when I run errands)… Boris can go do one and I’m sure my brother will pay the fine anyway so who gives a flying f—. I’m pretty sure I can get around it by driving to Barnard Castle anyway.

I totally understand people getting angry and frustrated but all that post seemed quite an overreaction to what had gone before.

montgomery
    Free Member

Campsites opening on the 12th – but only for people with their own bathroom facilities (motorhomes, caravans), or with one bathroom area assigned to each bubble, or household, or whatever delusion term is being applied this week. I foresee Go Outdoors doing a roaring trade in toilet tent specific fairy lights.

jam-bo

I totally understand people getting angry and frustrated but all that post seemed quite an overreaction to what had gone before.

not read a Stevextc post before then?

Tracey

Not looking good until at least 17th May unless you have your own facilities

Club campsites in England – Based on the latest Government guidance, we are unfortunately unable to open our toilets or showers and other indoor shared facilities (excluding receptions) when our Club campsites in England reopen on 12 April. The provisional date for reopening these facilities is currently 17 May 2021, however this will be dependent on Government guidance. Service points and waste disposal facilities will be available and open for use, operated in line with Government guidelines.

If you wish to book a tent camping pitch in England, please contact the relevant Club campsite directly and we will do our best to accommodate you. Please be aware that due to the restrictions, our facilities will not be open and you will need to have your own self-contained on board facilities such as toilet, washing and kitchen facilities

scotroutes

Saw loads wild camping today, in a couple of low-key but popular spots. No idea how far they’ve travelled.

burko73

lots of motorhomes in the new forest today.

Been “camping” on our drive in the motorhome with eldest daughter for last 2 nights. Very exciting !

matt_outandabout

Saw loads wild camping today, in a couple of low-key but popular spots. No idea how far they’ve travelled.

We passed a couple loaded up on the West Highland way today.

ElShalimo

Met a young Navy bloke on the Pennine Way today. He was trying to do it in 12 days bivvying as he went. It must have been very cold last night on Bleaklow

MoreCashThanDash

not read a Stevextc post before then?

Quite a lot, so I know he’s had a lot on his plate and needs to blow off occassionally. Just wasn’t sure this was the occassion

reluctantjumper

A few campers, caravans and tents around in the Beacons. A few people in the caravan site at the bottom of my parent’s garden too. Looks like lots of people can’t wait until the 12th.

ajantom

A few people in the caravan site at the bottom of my parent’s garden too

Yeah, I’ve seen a few caravans and big tents pitched on sites round here (East Devon).

Near main roads, and not being subtle about it.
    I’d have thought the site owners would be more careful. Just takes one person to call the police or council, and they’re going to get a fine or closed down.

fatoldgit

Not sure where the OP got the idea it’s ok to go camping yet….

Government guidelines ( yes , I know , guidelines not law ) make it pretty clear

Travelling within England
    You should minimise travel where possible. This means you should:

avoid making unnecessary trips
    combine trips where possible
    You should not stay away from home overnight for a holiday.

And The Lake District is actively moving folks on, or if they won’t the police are issuing COVID fines

But hey…. you know best I guess

damascus
    Free Member

The worst thing is when they then put it in Facebook and Instagram etc and all the family and friends like the post.

Apparently I’m not allowed to make a comment they shouldn’t be doing it and that I hope they get fined by the police.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Covid Tax is a feature. I’m dreading looking at the rest of our usual campsite prices after checking out my (usual) semi-wild (ie agreed with landowner, no facilities except parking nearby) camping spot this morning online. It seems to have grown into a behemoth since 2019 when I last pitched.

2019 – place to self and £5 a night

2021 – lucky if you can get a booking and it’s £20 a night

Good for business if you’re in the business.

stevextc
    Free Member

Quite a lot, so I know he’s had a lot on his plate and needs to blow off occassionally. Just wasn’t sure this was the occassion

A year of being lied to (or more if you want to include the B word).
    Do NOT wear masks they make infection more likely to the complete opposite.

I heard someone describe this as a giant science experiment but that isn’t really correct, the science has been ignored and the real experiment is purely social engineering.

Take masks, everyone except Boris and his father … travel again friends and family discounts.. normal laws such as driving with impaired eyesight ignored.

Kids can’t spread the virus etc. prevention of testing and track and trace

Prevention of care homes getting PPE, arrest of people (qualified nurse) taking relatives out of care homes and imprisonment of their parent back in care homes without trial

Lying about PPE stocks etc etc.

What does the science say about corona viri transmission in general?? (not specifically SARS-CoV-2 but in general?
    Surely the science say’s that is the most likely until proven otherwise .. so all that absolute rubbish about not being transmissible by respiration was pure rubbish, kids not being able to transmit was rubbish .. (by rubbish I mean from the start as a first principal) but this is
    what was policy.

Kids MUST go to school and were FORCED to remove masks in classes yet a week later it was decided that their exams were going to be cancelled.

Track and trace was used as a way to manipulate stats not control the virus.
    People were prevented testing to see if they had the virus so now we have lots of people who had it but don’t know one way or another.

So yeah, do I care if it’s legal or not to look after my mum when my brother can’t?

ElShalimo

I don’t think you’re alone in being frustrated by the last year. You could even say that you’re not a happy camper.

😉😜🤪

stevextc
    Free Member

p7eaven

2019 – place to self and £5 a night

2021 – lucky if you can get a booking and it’s £20 a night

Good for business if you’re in the business.

I hardly think that is going to cover their losses for the last year though.

I’m sure they’d swap it being open on £5 a night for the last year for reopening for an unknown time until they may be closed again.
    Even a low facilities field needs some maintenance and costs… if you want to be able to drive in and out etc.

montgomery
    Free Member

Well, the neighbours had three generations of their family staying over last night, and I just encountered a gang of 20 roadies while out on my ritual early ride, so I can’t get too excited about someone camping or solo walking the Pennine Way. You couldn’t pay me enough to stay on an organised campsite in 2021, mind.

montgomery
    Free Member

I know someone who owns a camping field with basic facilities, and they made more in 2020 than any other year they’ve been open.

stevextc
    Free Member

I know someone who owns a camping field with basic facilities, and they made more in 2020 than any other year they’ve been open.

Good luck to them but “made” seems a bit vague?
    Perhaps with clever use of the furlough scheme and clever accountants or the opposite and they haven’t done the maintenance yet ??

stevextc
    Free Member

You couldn’t pay me enough to stay on an organised campsite in 2021, mind.

2021 not withstanding not my idea of fun.

p7eaven
    Free Member

The future is stealthy

MoreCashThanDash

So yeah, do I care if it’s legal or not to look after my mum when my brother can’t?

There has been an exemption for providing care in most of the rules and guidelines.

Rather confusingly, British Cycling are allowing organised club rides for up to 15 riders. After quite a few complaints for apparently breaking the “rule of 6” our club has gone back to groups of 6 only, to avoid having to deal with “outraged of Borrowash”

stevextc
    Free Member

Rather confusingly …

It’s all rather confusing .. you can drive from London to Durham when you know you tested positive for the virus or drive to Barnard Castle if you can’t see to drive but a nurse taking her own 97 yr old mother from a care home that is having covid infected patients discharged to it that has no PPE because the government won’t allow them to buy it because masks increase infections is arrested.

There has been an exemption for providing care in most of the rules and guidelines.

Quite though that then means my mum can’t see my brother and I’m not even sure if I’m allowed to sleep in the van or not …

There were exemptions for hospitals and urgent medical as well but equally the only treatment you could get was for COVID if you lived with someone told to self isolate, regardless of how many negative tests they* or you have and when self isolate was basically PHE randomly deciding what numbers would be chosen to self isolate from each school that week. (*At the time it was made illegal to get tested if you were told to self isolate as you had to leave the house in order to do so.)

So yeah, am I allowed to sleep in the van ? Dunno … but I care as much as Cummings did when he drove to Durham or Boris’s dad when he refused to wear masks in shops or the tube or travel to Cyprus to his villa.

stevextc
    Free Member

Aggh… removed the roof lining and disconnected the diesel heater yesterday then ran out of insulation and forgot to reconnect the heater … woke up to snow.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘So who’s camping this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.