So, who rides to work?

Home Forum Bike Forum So, who rides to work?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • So, who rides to work?
  • amplebrew

I ride either 7 or 10 miles all on road depending on the route.

I work 6 on and 4 off and ride in every work day. I work shifts though so my ride in is either at 6am, 2pm or 10pm. My rides home can then be at 8am, 5pm or 2am.

I just use my Kona Unit singlespeed with 2.2 Maxxis Ikons at 40psi.

It’s cost me buttons to run compared to my previous geared bikes.

Gary_M

Don’t look out the window to see what the weather’s like before getting your cycling kit on. Get up with the attitude that you’re riding and you will ride. I wouldn’t rely on the forecast for headwinds, you might be disappointed.

Enjoy.

ndthornton

Iv come to the conclusion recently that our weather is just rubbish all the time.

Its freezing cold and dark for 6 months of the year. Then when it finally warms up all that happens is the air gains enough heat energy to create wind (which is almost always from the South West which happens to be my direction of travel going home (took nearly 2 hours last night). Then if the wind stops it starts to rain (as long as it wasn’t raining already).

A day that doesn’t have cold, wind or wet is so unlikely as to be not worth waiting for. I think I actually prefer winter for commuting – cold and dark being preferable to wind and rain.

I’m having a sense of humour failure and I want to go somewhere else!

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

not allowed to take the bike into the office, health & safety, so walk in 🙁

fuzzhead

5 mile each way commute – I do it on a singlespeed jump bike (Cannondale Chase) decked out with all my crap from my loft spares

Long enough to get a sweat on, short enough to not be daunting when the skies are leaden and the wind is biting

messiah

First time in a few years yesterday. I took my road bike (which I bought in 1998 and have not used for a long time) and went in search of climbs for training… so it was 28 miles with over 1000ft of gain. It took me 1 hour 45 mins but I’ve no idea if that was good or bad but it sure hurt (in a good way). The train took the strain for the way home. I plan to do the same tomorrow and make it a twice a week thing so I can still ride hard for pleasure on other days.

Premier Icon HansRey
    Subscriber

So, how far do you ride? 6-7km, mainly on cycle paths. There are a few cheeky routes here and there, if it’s nice weather and the trails are fairly dry. Don’t want to arrive covered in mud.
    How often? Pretty much every day from when the snow disappears. Unless the bikes are bust, which at the moment leaves me with a commute on a DH bike or a trials bike 😀
    What sort of bike? Normally a 26” hardtail with 3×9 gearing and schwalbe marathon plus tyres. The tyres are fantastic and well worth the money. No punctures, tough and roll well.

peath

Agree with Gary_M, get your stuff ready the night before, bottle, bags packed and on the bike. Then in your cycling gear ASAP and get out of the house! In ten minutes you’ll be accustomed to the whatever the weather is and be enjoying the fresh air!

22 miles one way here, 1-2 times a week (young family and MTBing to consider!), Salsa Vaya with mud guards and rack, all year round.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

so it was 28 miles with over 1000ft of gain

That’s pretty flat – look harder. I live in the south, and a ‘hilly’ ride is around 100ft climbing/mile IMO.

I do it when I can, which at the moment is rarely! Up to 45 miles each way depending on office, more commonly drive half ride half, so 22 miles each way. Road bike, take stuff in when I’m on the train so I don’t need a bag or owt.

Gary_M

It took me 1 hour 45 mins but I’ve no idea if that was good or bad

Hard to say really as it depends on the conditions, wind and rain can slow you down. 16mph isn’t bad though.

100ft climbing/mile

Maybe I’m reading that wrong but are you saying 1000ft climbing every 10 miles? That seems a lot to try to rack up to me.

Premier Icon Baldysquirt
    Subscriber

6 miles each way on an xtracycle longtail conversion most days. Allows me to pick up lots of shopping and my little girl from Nursery. Takes about half an hour with a reasonable hill at the end of each leg. I can knock nearly 10mins off, though, when I ride the road bike which isn’t exactly light either.

rewski

30 mile a day, 3-5 days a week, HT Rigid MTB with skinny marathon plus.

Hob Nob

Not any more. I used to, but have since changed jobs so its no longer possible.

Was 27km each way & I averaged 3 times a week.

Mix of A roads & mostly country lanes, did it on a road bike. I think in 2 years of doing it I had no south westerly headwind on the way home once. I set a PB that day. Never got within 10 minutes of it again.

Great base for my fitness going forward, but really put me off riding for a while.

chives

Every day! 1.1 miles door to door – I have the shortest commute and claim my £5 ! 😀

MrSparkle

9 miles each way (sometimes extended up to about 18 -20), 4 times a week. Free training innoit? ;0)

I live 3 miles away from Work but commute 10 miles each way (all on traffic free cycle track)

messiah

That’s pretty flat – look harder. I live in the south, and a ‘hilly’ ride is around 100ft climbing/mile IMO.

Hmmm, just put the route through map my ride and its got 3 Cat 5 climbs on it? I’m not a roady so that means nothing to me other than those section correlate well with the segments where it was uphill and hard work.

Kieran

19 mile commute here that I do 1 – 2 times per week depending on the weather. Bit of a climb up the costwolds from Cheltenham but then 15 miles of pretty flat riding.

I use a Trek roadbike that I have fitted a Tubus rack too and then commute with a pannier on, makes life much easier.

Showers at work are great but I also used to ride 15miles to our old office without a shower.

Saves me around £75.00 per month because of the riding in, not lost any weight though 🙁 but i think that because I drink too much….

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Everyday 5 odd miles each way mostly on cycle path away from traffic. Having commuted between Wolverhampton and Walsall previously I really enjoy not being a traffic gladiator.

I would recommend getting something suited to riding on the road be it a mtb with slicks or a racer or anything in between with a road bias. I’d also recommend mudguards and a rack to keep you and your stuff comfy.

You don’t need to spend the earth on a commuting bike but plenty do. A cheap hypbrid will do the job and cost buttons on the cycle scheme. A colleague bought a Specialized £250 hybrid and it ended up costing about £17 a month pre-tax

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I’ve not read all that, just skimmed, so apologies if it’s been said, but just get some slicks for your current bike if on a budget and pump them up harder. A lot of the advantages of a road bike that way – most of the rest are down to the riding position which you can also get some of by lowering your bars (do it gradually whilst you get used to it). If you’re looking to still ride off-road then raising/lowering your stem should take less time than swapping the tyres.

hammy7272

30 miles there and 30 miles back. Once a week dependent on weather.

trevron73

Its about 1km for me mixture of sand and tarmac its great at night as no street lights back from the beach ,i cycle about 9 times a week and only take the car if i need to collect fish from the fish market, cycle home for a cuppa in the afternoon. Then always cycle back to work for evening shifts .

mikeyd

22+ miles each way, with a big hill (Haldon) inbetween.

Usually 1hr15 in (taking it easyish) and 1hr30 back (again, taking it easy)

I’ve been managing it twice a week for the past month, really look forward to it when it’s dry, however last week I got drenched and it took nearly 2hrs to get back with a 20mph headwind!

ben1000

10 miles each way 3 times a week on a specialize allez bought through the ride to work scheme. Mornings tend to be the same route but always vary it on the way home. Sometimes take the mtb and do a longer off road commute.

will

50 miles (more if racing)
    Every day
    Either SS or geared road bike depending on weather.

Wouldn’t change it for the world.

_tom_

Would like to but it’s 37 miles away and I can’t be arsed with that for either a 6:30 or 8am start!

Can see my house from the office window, so go by a circuitous route – all depends upon time/weather/things to be done at either end.

eyerideit

A 10.5 mile each way London commute for me.

Do it everyday and in all weather on my trusty 98 Kona Kapu.

Takes about 50mins due to all the lights (going East to West though town).

Currently live 5mins away from work and ride every day on a shonky singlespeed road bike.

Used to work 10 miles away in a wee village and rode that every day. If the weather was good I’d ride in and/or home the long way (c20miles). Almost entirely on quiet, poorly-surfaced back lanes. Used to love it. Used to use a 2nd-hand geared hardtail with slicks, mudguards and panniers.

And before that, I used to work 16miles away, and would commute by roadbike in the summer. Ride there on main faster roads, and home on a longer route via back roads.

MarkBrewer

I’ve just started parking near the motorway and riding the last 4 miles to work as traffic in Exeter is terrible at certain times of the day 🙁 I picked up a 14 year old fully rigid kona hahanna for £65 from ebay a few weeks ago which is ideal for the job and saves me using my good bike.

mrmo

short route is 16miles, I work on it being 1 hour, reality is it can be normally 50-1hr10, fastest was 43mins riding a tail wind at a steady 26mph!

The vale of evesham is very flat and not much shelter on offer so wind can be an issue. Today i stretched it to 24miles, but looking out the window i can see me taking the direct route home.

Doing this 4times a week most weeks, it can impact motivation at the weekends, but it also means you do ride in crap weather and don’t loose fitness which if the only riding you do is at weekends…

Fit mudguards, they look crap but full sks guards make life so much more pleasant through the winter! try not to take more to work than you have to, leave what you can at work, if you do drive, then take stuff on that day. Showers do make commuting much more pleasant. Consider a back up plan for when it all goes wrong, bikes do break, 15miles in snow on a roadbike isn’t much fun, lights fail, etc.

Premier Icon oxym0r0n
    Subscriber

9 miles each way – every day – wind, floods, snow (unless I am bringing/taking clothes – about once every 6 weeks)
    Sometimes take a longer route home across the Quantocks…

Shower at work, so leave towel, showergel, shoes, jumper, trou – take shirt & underwear each day. Get stuff ready the night before – routine helps!

Riding Day 1 SS crossdisc with slicks & mudguards

samuri

15 miles each way on the short route. 4-5 days a week. That’s a 50/50 split road and offroad. I use a geared cross bike but whenever I get my fixed cross bike working again I’ll go back to that. When it’s nice I will extend the offroad section to make the return journey about 25 miles.

I love it. I’m lucky to have a fairly nice ride in with only one dodgy place (a roundabout near our house where I can almost guarantee a near miss every morning). Coming home I usually include more offroad anyway.

What really helps is good facilities at work. CHanging rooms and showers are great. Having drying facilities would be perfect. I;ve bought some ceramic shoe driers which do the job nicely for shoes and gloves.

eskay

On dryish days in the summer I will take the cross or mtb and do an off-road loop with some spectacular views. Amazing view after 20 minutes of climbing, the problem is you just want to carry on riding all day!

bikebouy

I ride to Work when I can. Last year I did quite a lot then the weather turned horrid so the foldie was replaced by the car to the train..
    I work from different offices, so the bike does allow for a flexiable destination. HotDesks allow for miander in, log on, log off, ride around the City type of flexiability.
    I find the train network Ok for taking the foldie on, I’m not too sure my experiances would be quite the same if I rode a none foldie though. I have seen some pretty annoyed folks kicking bikes of trains just so they can get off at thier stop, this leads to delays which no one wants. I saw a bike pushed off the train to Brighton last Nov and the train pulled out of the station leaving the bike on the platform.
    I do wish those that slam bikes accross the doors would be decent enough to a) keep them out of the way of other passengers b) move the bikes so folks can get on/off and c) stand near thier bikes so they don’t have to wiggle through cramped carriages to shift said bike.. again causing delays.

But I have to say, most rail companies have adopted a nonchelant way of letting bikes on trains, very few Guards get angsty and often encourage bikes on board.. which is nice.. If you’ve ever been on the Sotty to Waterloo or Victoria trains early in the mornings you’ll know what I mean.

I do love the race out of Waterloo and across the Bridge.. quite hilarious..

Premier Icon aazlad
    Subscriber

16 miles each way on a mixture of bridleway, canal and road. 300m descent on the way in/climb on the way home. 3 or 4 times a week on a Cotic X. Takes anywhere between 50-60 mins on the way in and 60-80 mins on the way home mainly depending on wind.

Started doing it a couple of months back and wish I’d started years ago.

Do the Leeds-Harrogate run a couple of times a week on my road bike. Traffic is a bit hairy though, so I don’t tend to ride in when conditions are bad.

Gary_M

short route is 16miles, I work on it being 1 hour, reality is it can be normally 50-1hr10, fastest was 43mins riding a tail wind at a steady 26mph!

16 miles in 43 minutes isn’t 26mph.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Shortest route to/from work for me is 3.5 miles one way, but plenty of options to extend it of an evening depending on how fit/arsed I’m feeling.
    Ride either SS HT with MTB tires or road bike with 23mm slicks, dependent on conditions and what I fancy riding 🙂

mrmo

16 miles in 43 minutes isn’t 26mph.

first couple of miles was urban with traffic lights etc, brought the average down a bit. Door to Door 22.5mph, from Cheltenham Racecourse to work in Evesham average 26mph.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘So, who rides to work?’ is closed to new replies.