Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • So – Which Manbag for a Self Conscious Middle Aged Man?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

Something by Billingham. Probably the Thomas. I’ve had my Series 3 bag for around 40 years and it is still perfectly functional.

i use a Hadley large without the padded camera liner, waterproof, understated, stylish.

takes a 15in MacBook pro, travel coffee grinder/aeropress, turn of the century social angst novels etc etc.

DrJ

I just went on a website and bought the one I liked the look of.

What sort of advice do you call that? You need to have a word with yourself, mate!

grum
    Free Member

Another vote for not having a messenger-style bag – you’ll screw your back up.

The best “every day carry” bag I’ve ever had by far is an Evergoods CPL24. For max niche points it’s only available on import from America and super spendy but it’s awesome. Designed by a guy who used to design Patagonia’s bags and a guy from GoRuck.

It’s incredibly tough and versatile. With a Tenba insert it doubles as my camera bag too.

Civic Panel Loader 24L

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrJ

Civic Panel Loader 24L

229 bucks? I hope your everyday carry is full of valuable tactical stuff to justify that price tag!!

FuzzyWuzzy

All messenger bags look like big handbags, do yourself a favour and get a smart/plain backpack (TKMaxx always have a decent choice).

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I carry one of these:

15 Inch Classic Batchel in Leather – Vintage

Obviously a handbag

It’s NOT a handbag (it is totally a handbag!)…

And one of these:

Also a handbag!

Also NOT a handbag (definitely a handbag!)…

I hate myself ;-P

grum
    Free Member

@DrJ It’s absolutely worth every penny, and will last forever.

topper

I find Troop London have a decent range of well made, attractive bags and can be found at heavily discounted prices.

Not sure where you are but there’s a shop inside the Stratford shopping centre that often have them in at very good prices.

Topper

nealglover
    Free Member

Seriously, if you can’t carry a Book, a sandwich and an iPad in a messenger bag without injuring yourself there is something seriously wrong with you 😂

nicko74

Timbuktu gets my vote (or Crumpler if you want it a bit more robust). They have a selection of “smart enough for a meeting” and “tactical enough not to get bullied” laptop bags in a range of sizes. Waterproof, with stabilising straps if you’re going on a bike, lots of pockets etc etc.

footflaps

Seriously, if you can’t carry a Book, a sandwich and an iPad in a messenger bag without injuring yourself there is something seriously wrong with you 😂

+1

I’ve been commuting every day with a messenger bag for 15+ years and not had a problem yet!

grum
    Free Member

Try to imagine a world where sometimes you want to carry a bit more than that and a messenger bag is a crap tool for the job, that you bought out of a misguided attempt to look cool.

That world is the actual world we live in. 😉

beefheart
    Free Member

+1 for Eastpak Delegate

I bought one a few years ago after recommendations on here and it still looks good.
    They also come with a 30 year warranty.

nealglover
    Free Member

Try to imagine a world where sometimes you want to carry a bit more than that and a messenger bag is a crap tool for the job, that you bought out of a misguided attempt to look cool.

That world is the actual world we live in. 😉

I literally never look cool. No bag ever made could achieve that.

I just don’t like carrying a backpack every day, and I’ve never had any issue carrying a bag over one shoulder 👍
    Started using messenger style bags almost 40 years ago with a paper round, and always preferred that style.

Merak

This^

Getting a rucksack on with an armoured Motorbike jacket is painful.

Sling bag just so much easier.

IHN

I walk about a mile and a half, so about half an hour, each way to work every day. I use a messenger bag (Timbuk2 I think) slung across my body, so not just hanging from one shoulder, to hold my laptop, sandwiches, little brolly, keepcup wotsit, chargers, cables and various other bits of ephemera that accumulate in it. Works fine and it’s not turned me into Quasimodo.

aP
    Free Member

For work I tend to use an Ally Cappelino satchel if on foot, for greater volume an Aguille waxed cotton 20l rich sac and for travelling a Cotopaxi Allpa.
    As the weight goes up I go to 2 straps.
    For very light carrying an old manga pattern il Soigneur musette.

slowoldman

Wouldn’t all you backpack advocates get a bit of a sweaty back wearing one while walking for 20 minutes in your work clothes?

I never had a problem with sweating in Manchester.

funkmasterp

Just go TK MAXX and pick a rucksack or messenger bag that you like the look of. Trust me, nobody other than you cares what it looks like. You’re not exploring Peru or going on a military operation. Any old shit will do 👍🏼

Digby

If it’s just for your smarphone and lip-balm, then a ‘Dakine Field Bag’ for that ‘over-the-shoulder-urban-chic’ motif …

If you need to carry the ‘Complete Works of Shakie’ and a re-usable coffee mug, then a Douchebags ‘The Backpack’ should be your go-to Manbag ….

grum
    Free Member

This is what you’re trying to look like with a sling bag 😛

shooterman

What’s that Grum – like I never train legs?

mooman
    Free Member

nealglover

Agreed. I did too wonder how delicate some people’s backs must be.
    Although to be fair – the the backpack with shoulder straps bag he recommended looks safer for children with growing bones.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘So – Which Manbag for a Self Conscious Middle Aged Man?’ is closed to new replies.