Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So what's white in North Wales (and Lee Quarry?)
  • Northwind

In theory I’m off to north wales next weekend for 5 days. Original plan is, frankly, ****** 🙂 Was supposed to be Snowdon one day, Antur Stiniog the next, Llandegla on the way, none of those 3 seems likely to work now.

So… What’s not snowy? Not just “rideable” but “would travel for 6 hours to ride it” 😆

Coed y Brenin I hear is in good shape, and some folks say Nant yr Arian is also clear? I’m assuming the other classic welsh mountain rides are mostly off (Snowdon replacement).

It’s quite a big group so I think we’re mostly looking at red and black trail centres, not against a bit of natural but it’s got to be good rides, no death marches, and easy navigation.

So, yeah. Should I just cancel, or is there still 5 good rides in/around N Wales?

saxabar
    Free Member

Well, Penmachno is meant to be 85% rideable now.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m told coedy is pretty well clear. Our Snowdon plans for next Sunday are ****.

RustySpanner

You could all go for a walk instead. 🙂
    S’not all about bikes you know. 😀

giqles
    Free Member

Coed y Brenin is completely clear (and packed because it is taking up the slack from the other centres as a result). Drove past Llandegla on the way, still pretty deep over there.

Northwind

Rusty Spanner – Member

You could all go for a walk instead.

We have walking in Scotland thanks- and you’re allowed to do it all over the place too 😉 But we have no coed y brenins.

Kevevs
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-wales-natural-trail-conditions-again-for-this-time-next-week

I’ve put some good links on there. an if you’re not on facebook, then join it and join those links. they’ll tell you what you want to know. There is a facebook for Llandegla as well. Everyone disses FB but it can be a fabulous source of info, just like this place. Between all the fb mtb site daily updates, you can get a very good general view of how it’s going with snowmageddon down here I reckon.

was walking up Drum today. some mtbers were coming up as we were going down to aber this afternoon (hello! if you’re here). Fair do’s, they looked serious. But it was going to be a bastard hard ride to be enjoyable. Just hike it! It is starting to thaw out a bit though (notalot) but then freezing overnight.

I would just like to **LIKE** what Rusty said. ahd a brilliant weekend sans bike.

robhughes
    Free Member

Got back a couple of hours ago from snodonia.Did Tryfan north ridge.Down up over brisly ridge round and down devils kitchen.The best conditions iv,e EVER seen.Loads of snow and ice and beautiful weather.I,m still blown away by it…

Kevevs
    Free Member

spot on if you’ve got the skills and experience robhuges. That feeling is kicking in eh! Some poor dead **** fell off cneifion arete at pretty much the same time I was using my crampons for the first time on an icy Foel Goch on Fri. Be safe people!

robhughes
    Free Member

Hey Kev.It was just mind blowing conditions that really don’t happen very often.The ice was just right.Loads of lads doing the water falls in devils..
    Couple of crappy phone pics as i forgot my camera.
    Snowdon in the back grown here northwind so i don’t think you’ll be riding that 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

WOW!!! amazing mate. Love those pics!! It’s so cool up there at the mo, Might not be like that for a long time. Who needs a bike!
    [/url] IMAG0069 by kevinevs, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url] IMAG0074 by kevinevs, on Flickr[/img]

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer totally agree there.Bikes go out the window when we’ve got these conditions.I love climbing in wales anyway but this is just the icing on the cake.Excuse the pun…. 😀

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer totally agree there.Bikes go out the window when we’ve got these conditions.I love climbing in wales anyway but this is just the icing on the cake.Excuse the pun…. 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

love that crystal castle pic, is that castell y gwynt? You sound more knowledgable and experienced on the Welsh mountains than me Rob, it’d be good to meet up with someone local sometime? I’ve done a bit now, but the guys I go with don’t like ridges like Crib Goch, but I’ll happily have ago. I’m looking for that extra push…

robhughes
    Free Member

No i,ts a small patch of rock just before that.Quite close up so it does look a little bit like it.Took the pic as it was really strange as the ice covered it like toffee.I thought you had no knowledge… 😉
    I,m not really local as i live on the Wirral but that’s only down the road really.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Oh, I’ve got some local knowledge now. I know where you mean. I’m looking to go a bit more than the people I hang with. I love that when you spot something and just think it is so wonderful you HAVE to take a piccie!..
    [/url] IMAG0076 by kevinevs, on Flickr[/img]

anyway, it was simple and “cool” at the time!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So what's white in North Wales (and Lee Quarry?)’ is closed to new replies.