Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So. What's up for 2014 then?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Me: Getting back to something like full fitness (back still dodgy, not there quite yet) for the bike commute and weekend mountain biking, starting with the Trailbreak IOW enduro in May.

and winning the lottery, natch.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I really hope to ride bikes more and work a bit less!

Houns

Sat down yesterday and wrote all my goals etc for 2014. Filled up 2 sides of A4! A few pie int he sky ideas but mainly easily achievable goals. It will be a good year

_tom_
    Free Member

Not sure but I really want something to train for – any suggestions? Not necessarily a bike related event but it’d be good to do a mtb event as I never really do any miles on mine any more! Fort bill endurance dh might be fun though.. would also consider something on the roadie.

Might be doing tough mudder in the summer.

Main priority at the minute is getting moved into my first house and sorting that out. Then after that I’ll be getting a sleeve tattooed which I’m really looking forward to 😀

My main aim for 2014 is to ride the mtb more and in more different places as its been seriously neglected this year! Oh and I’m hoping I can afford a dog when the house stuff is settled, which would be awesome!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Work will be hectic, intense and great fun.
    Riding will be mostly CrossBike related, so fast and muddy.
    Sailing will be big boat stuff as I’ve been asked back to join a crew I disbanded back in 04′
    Windsurfing will be singularly spectacular and wave head tastic.

Looking good so far 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Like the idea of that Houns! May pick up some nice beer today to assist me.

Kunstler

I’m going to nail the West Highland Way in a day, raise a bit more money after last year’s failed attempt and get some bikes and tuition set up for the autism charity for which I work. There’ll also be a few epics to count as training.
    Hopefully a week of volunteering at an outdoor activity centre with a view to seeing what can be developed for our own service. Mountain leadership course too, if I can afford it.

A double century. Taking some friends to Torridon. More munros than this year’s paltry haul.

Being more productive with my creative urges.

Rich
    Free Member

This workbook is quite a handy tool for realising your thoughts, goals and desires for the coming year.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ll be starting it on crutches after knackering my foot in a 5k race yesterday. Great start to my 2014 outlaw triathlon training!

Oh, training for the Outlaw 2014 of course.

lunge

London – Paris in 24 hours as a starter. After that I’m not sure.

scotroutes

Highland Trail Race will be my main focus for 2014. I have lots of smaller rides lined up as preparation for that.

Complete my tour of the Scottish coastline.

Do more packrafting/bikerafting.

Carry on my bivvy-a-month.

More longer walks with my Mrs, including some wild camping and bothying.

Be a success in my new job.

Oh – and a big knees-up on 19th September!!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’m just hoping for a better more normal year. 2013 my Step Mum had a massive stroke aged 50 and that devestated me, can still see the image of her in critical care. She is home, mobility quite good, speech not great but she is still here.

Lost both my Grandparents in the space of 8 weeks.

Broke my leg and suffered knee injury so 6 months off work, last bit of Surgery now done. The financial stress from the above injury (thankfully got three months full pay) then half and ssp.

But looking to 2014

Get back to work in two weeks
    Get some debts cleared (950 debts) we were debt free.
    Plenty of Mtb
    No more death or injury
    Start some training courses I want to do at work
    And spend some quality time with family without being in a cast,crutches or knee brace.

tonyg2003

I’d like to ride the MTB more and do a trip up to the 7staines.

Big aim. Signed up to ride the Raid Alpine in June. 6 days, 21,000M climbing

Philby

Well 2014 can’t be any worse than 2013! Main aims will be to sort my late Mum’s estate out, find work which is more financially sustainable than my current self-employed role, and be luckier in love than last year.

Bikewise I would like to visit North Wales and combine it with a visit to Dolgellau where my descendants on my father’s side originally came from. Also want to do a couple more 100 milers on the road bike than last year.

On the ideal wish list I would like to get a VW T5 camper, do a couple of long haul cycling holidays (Vietnam and Central America), do my current home up, rent it out and move to a new house, but may have to compromise on some or all of these.

Also hope that all my friends, the majority of whom have had a fairly dire 2013, have more happiness, success and good health.

cinnamon_girl

I have feelings of optimism although the first half of the year will see some interesting challenges.

After more than 4 crap years my health is improving thanks to my efforts of researching, drugs and sheer bloodymindedness.

Absolutely determined to get back on the roadie following intensive physio and osteo treatment, all relating to my accident and subsequent surgery.

AdamW
    Free Member

I am heartily sick of 2013.

Partner has been suffering depression all year, as a consequence has lost job. His parents are old and his dad has Alzheimer’s and we have just (yesterday) had to take his car from him. In the middle of fantastic weather my back gave out (first time ever! agony!).

For me, hopefully 2014 will be:
    1. Improved roadie-ing/much more commuting on my SS.
    2. Much more MTB and stop being afraid of every fricking route.
    3. More organised.
    4. Keep job (work with a certain IT company that is getting rid of a load of people, but to be honest it is horrible at the mo).
    5. Become a man whore. 😀

Already booked to go to Afan at Easter so things are looking up (not the whore-part 🙂 )

wordnumb
    Free Member

I reckon 2014 will turn out to be year of the 30″ wheelsize and XML lights that run from dynamos.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I have had a great 2013 and I’m looking forward to a good 2014 as well. Sadly a couple of family / friends are very ill going into the new year and inevitably they will most likely be lost to the Big C in the very near future.

I can see me trying to sort out some sort of charity fundraiser at some point in 2014 so I’m going to have to do some thinking of what to do…?

benji
    Free Member

Keep racing cross, and try to do better, it’s the technical riding that is holding me back most, so need to work on that, so combination of more mtbing and crossbike rides at trail centres, just learning to look and let go.

Wouldn’t mind doing more miles, just shy of 2.5k this year, so wouldn’t mind doubling that.

Biggest aim to try and stay positive and not get stressed by silly things/people have a bad habit of self destructing, but hopefully working through that.

DezB
    Free Member

Snowboarding for the first time in a few years.

50. I’m going to be 50! Jeez.

More mountain biking than 2013, hopefully. If I can fit it in with passing my rugby coaching quals.

Fingers crossed I don’t get made redundant.

northernerindevon

I’ll be starting a new life in Bristol with our lass, moving up from Devon to the big city – so plenty of exploring my new ‘hood. Are there many Bristolians on here?

More riding in more places – Wales, Mendips, Quantocks & Exmoor rather than ‘just’ Dartmoor and cheeky coastpath singletrack.

More surfing.

Post on here a bit more rather than ‘lurking’ 😉

Clear the credit card that replacing the Landy engine has incurred

Maintain bivvy a month

Visit more friends

Increase the creativeness of my culinary skillz

Getting quite into this – might go pour a cider, bang some tunes on and do a proper list….

– wanders off in direction of fridge –

trusty

Got dumped a couple of weeks ago, and will be redundant in March so all change for me. I can see a lot of riding in 2014, a couple of gravity enduros again hopefully, Pyrenees in May and Scottish borders in June.

singlespeedstu

My “plans” will be the same as every year.
    Ride my bike as much as i can and bumble around through the rest of it. 🙂
    Works for me and i’m not often dissapointed. 8)

metalheart
    Free Member

2013 I can’t wait to see the back of really. Not really helped by my dad’s pulmonary oedema and heart bypass or my mums mini stroke I guess.

2014 will be heavily motorcycle influenced and if my mate gets to LA and is still there in September the 29er will be packed and I’ll be heading off to visit… 😀

Other hen that I need to loose the weight and get fit again.

Need to push the 6b/HVS barrier and get some more mountain routes.

If I manage half of what I’m thinking it’ll be 4x busier than this year. Bring it on!

neilco
    Free Member

Run first marathon in May.

H12 relay race one week beforehand.

Start bike commuting earlier / finish later this year.

Get new job / buck my ideas up with current job.

Not much compared to some people who have had really bad 2013’s… Hope 2014 is better for you.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m going to do a bikepacking trip around Idaho’s hot springs in September. Thing is I’vce never been bikepacking before. So, I’ll need to get equipped and get familiar with it. A (tented) bivi a month looks doable.

I’d like to another UK C2C off road and a bit more road touring. Maybe a bikepacking Cairngorm loop too.

Workwise I have a one man show in London in June. I also want to finish the gallery project I have here at home. I may build another shed for framing and wood working.

I’ve never been a good planner, I prefer to be open to opportunity and ride it when I’m inspired.

Torminalis
    Free Member

This year I got married, dealt with the mental collapse of a close family member, had twins and got a stake in an exciting new start-up.

I hope 2014 is calm and involves a lot of sleeping.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Retired in 2013 early after succesful career aim to continue keeping fit

Mountain biking Tuscany Mar
    Road camp Spain Apr
    Trans Portugal May
    Poland 4 day MTB challenge Jun
    Mongolia MTB challenge Aug

Then going to chill a bit with some autumn MTB riding plus gym and road

Life’s for living and we all must travel our own trail. It will have some steep climbs and some really great descents plus some wiggly singletrack.

flowerman
    Free Member

^^ you have forgotten July?!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

And god rested on the 7th month

hughjardon
    Free Member

Came to realise this year that I’m no good at riding bikes, 2014 I will be taking up competitive Port drinking 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

2013 started badly (21 Dec 2012 strictly) with bad knee injury which meant I did precious little activity which was gutting as I had lots of spare time. Finished well though with divorce settlement signed so that part is behind me.

2013 was my 50th and the planned list of celebratory activities was curtailed by the injury so are slated for 2014, biking related are;

Bothy stay
    Mtb road trip, North Wales and Lakes over 4-6 days
    South Downs Way in two days
    A race or two (relaxed enduro)
    Alps Holiday Chamonix and Verbier to include an overnight stop in a hut/refuge

cynic-al
    Free Member

London marathon, Rat Race City to Summit and a few others, hopefully all with a smile on my face.

colournoise

Bikewise,

Adapt to riding an FS bike (come on Cy!).
    Do some more (mini) enduros after my first ever race in November.
    Ride more natural trails around the UK.
    Get down to the Field of Dreams more often.
    Make some more videos (that aren’t just PoV stuff).
    Have more fun.

sargey

Cycle as much as this year,but i have to get out of this crappy,soul destroying job or it will destroy me.

olddog

Ride more, drink less, sleep more, worry less, surf more.

Complete MA, move onto research work.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Win the 3 peaks. Anything less will mean 2014 has been wasted.

bearnecessities

All being well, learning lots of man skills to renovate first home (using here as reference material!)

samuri
    Free Member

Get our finances sorted. House move is still crippling us. Hopefully in 12 months we’ll be settled and out of credit apart from the mortgages.

This last year has been immensely hard work both in moving house and in my employment. 2014 will hopefully see the work stuff reach fruition. I’m hoping some real effort I’ve put in in 2013 will start things moving at work.

At a superficial level I could really do with a new car. I’m currently desiring classic big engined 3 series Beemers like mad. WANT.

Northwind

@ _Tom_, the endurance dh is off this year- turnout was way down last time. (personally I reckon they made a total arse of promotion, even some regulars didn’t know it was on, but it’s got to be a hard race to run. Great shame, best race I’ve done 🙁

Biking for me… Doing the scottish enduro series (badly) and Glentress 7 solo (slowly). Really want to get away some new places- torridon, northern ireland, lakes… West highland way? Maybe. Not sure there’s money in the budget for an alps trip though. Starting the year unbroken and in good mental shape is an improvement!

Otherwise… Become less single hopefully! Probably change jobs- did a wee consolidation there after a spell of illness with stress, feel like it’s time to move up again. Continue sorting out money. Maybe learn some french. Be happy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So. What's up for 2014 then?’ is closed to new replies.