So what’s the STW banana skin view?

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • So what’s the STW banana skin view?
  • Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

It’s ok to go up there and erode the landscape, it’s ok to go up there and leave traces of rubber from your shoes, it’s ok to drive there and pollute the air and make the valleys look a mess.

But we can leave no trace 🤔

You’d best give up mountain biking.

dakuan

I dont have any strong opinions myself but I am busy scouring youtube trying to find a mtber chucking a banana skin so we can all drag them over the coals

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Could I ask where the idea that it can take two years for a banana skin to decompose actually comes from? (apart from the first couple of pages of a google search?)

taxi25

Regarding banana skins decomposing the emphasis is on “can”. Dried out and left undisturbed they’d probably hang aroumd for longer than 2 years. Fully exposed to the worst facets of the British environment there’s going to be nothing recognisable in a much shorter time.
    Should you throw them away ? In some circumstances I’d agree it wouldn’t do any harm, but if your somewhere that might get a significant amount dropped apart from being unsightly it quite possibly might. To save having to make a decision just take everything home with you, that way there’s no chance of getting it wrong.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Oh sure, I’m very much in the “take them home” camp, but only really because they’re unsightly (which is reason enough in my head). I think any ‘reasons’ over this is probably pretty bogus.

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

I’m very much in the “take them home” camp, but only really because they’re unsightly (which is reason enough in my head). I think any ‘reasons’ over this is probably pretty bogus.

Areas like the top of the Ben tend to be areas relatively low in nutrients available to plants. Groups of plants which are adapted to these areas tend to be slow growing and are quickly out competed by other species in areas where more nutrients are available. Dropping one banana skin isn’t going to make that much difference but when a thousand people think like that you are starting to tip the balance away from the local species to more common species. Ben Nevis and the neighbouring mountains are one of the few areas of natural mountain wilderness areas in the UK (not caused by deforestation or major management by man), so not dropping fertiliser all over it wouldn’t seem to be such a bogus reason

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Groups of plants which are adapted to these areas tend to be slow growing and are quickly out competed by other species in areas where more nutrients are available

Even at 700m – 1200m where there no soil, and it’s sub Arctic? which plants are these that will out-compete saxifrages and moss, even given a boost by an unrelenting supply of banana skin compost?

@idlejohn

Sounds like the voles have found a way to ferment the banana skins into rum.
    Crafty buggers!

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I’m with nickc, they are unsightly as is all litter. No further consideration is required.

FunkyDunc

You’d best give up mountain biking.

That’s me point it’s socially acceptable to destroy the environment in other ways, it’s nothing but discrimination towards bananas 🍌

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.