Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • So what’s Fin Russel been up to
  • toomba
    Free Member

Bit of a blow for Scotland but it must have been something major to be sent home

tjagain

Its Finn Russell. Two “Ns and two “Ls” for officers

Apparently getting pissed and missing training then storming off after being told he would be dropped- but I don’t think we have half the story yet. We know he and Townsend do not get on and we know that Russell has been right and Townsend wrong over tactics.

Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/a-reason-has-emerged-as-to-why-finn-russell-was-disciplined-by-scotland

However some of that story is not true – as he was pictured laughing and joking with the rest of the team obviously sober.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

What a tool.

toomba
    Free Member

Oh apologies for missing my N’s and L’s 🙄

tjagain

All we have is a rather bland statement from the SRU and some unattributed leaks about Russells behaviour. I suspect rather more has gone on seeing as Russell has always been a model pro in the past. I don’t think we will see him again in a Scotland shirt until Townsend goes

tjagain

toomba – it was my chance for a “Bil the galactic hero” reference!

gauss1777
    Free Member

we know that Russell has been right and Townsend wrong over tactics.

You may be right, but you cannot take one half of a match as proof of this. It’s possible they’re both clueless ; )

Pyro

That’s a shame, he was the one player managing to make Scottish rugby interesting… 😉

BigJohn

I think it was because he was in danger of making rugby interesting that he was banished.
    Cheating, self aggrandising oafs the lot of them.

Pyro

Rugby players in general or just Scottish ones?

Northwind

We saw him in sainsburys buying discounted christmas decorations after christmas, I assume it’s something to do with that

Kryton57

In the news now.  Refused to stop drinking in the team hotel, decided to leave of his own accord and not stay with the team.  Told not to train Tuesday and come back Thursday yet went to France and didn’t bother coming back.

tjagain

As I said there is a lot more to this than we have seen as yet. Its certainly not as simple as “player gets pissed, is disciplined and then storms off”

this journalist seems to have a bit more info. I looks like a row with townsend. It seems he did not storm off but was given a choice

Russell is not the sort of player to do this without cause.

The door remains open for Finn Russell to make Six Nations return

ransos
    Free Member

Told not to train Tuesday and come back Thursday yet went to France and didn’t bother coming back.

Sounds like a stand off.

StirlingCrispin

Intrigued by this as he’s a local lad and is an alumni of my son’s high school.

Hopefully it’s not another name to be be removed from the Wall of Honour (There’s already a gap where a certain Clyde footballer’s name used to be).

My guess is he’ll be back for the second match…

matt_outandabout

Rugby players in general or just Scottish ones?

The Scot’s. They don’t have to be rugby players. 😉

gordimhor

My guess is that the “self aggrandising oafs” are in the board room at Murrayfield. Townsend has his flaws and his job’s on the line but he’s not the one taking away a massive and in my opinion unearned bonus.

It doesn’t seem like Russell was pished. He was apparently pictured sober with teammates and went home to his parents at about 10pm. So it looks like a dispute between him and Townsend.

@Tjagain
    Are we doomed? Yep. I can only see 1 win in this six nations, and that’s just a statement of hope rather than a logical assessment. Italy will certainly be targeting their game against us as their best hope of a win.

whytetrash

Makes the wooden spoon decider with Italy a bit more spicy😉

hels
    Free Member

To paraphrase Irvine Welsh “it’s shite being a Scottish Rugby Fan”.

tjagain

Tell me about it! IN this house we have an Edinburgh and Scotland rugby fan and an england cricket fan

” Its the hope that gets you”

At least the scottish football fan has no hope 😉

piha
    Free Member

It actually sounds like young Mr Russell needs to grow up a bit. Regardless or whether he believes he is right or wrong, he is a professional sportsman and should act accordingly.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Ive been sent a screenshot from a groupchat where a member of the wider scotland panel confirms that Finn went boozing on Sunday, came back and Gregor had a chat with him and sent him home/to bed. He was expected to appear on monday and apologies to the wider group but no one in the camp has seen him since…

hels
    Free Member

I think some people enjoy the grimness – last time I was at Murrayfield for Scotland v France I got told off for talking (to my friend – who is French) but FFS nobody had scored for a good 30 mins. We had to keep talking to stop from falling asleep. God forbid we should have any fun (its not the Sevens).

BruceWee

It actually sounds like young Mr Russell needs to grow up a bit.

He works for the SRU part-time, a cluster-**** of amateurism and overly inflated egos that would drive anyone to drink, whereas in his full-time job he seems to be very much appreciated at the moment.

His Dad was royally **** by a soulless non-entity who, just last week, the SRU paid a million quid to.

If it was me I would have told them to shove their national team up their arse two years ago.

lotto
    Free Member

Rugby player in gets drunk shocker, who would have thought. 🤔

tjagain

More bits and pieces are coming out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51250135

What is becoming clear is this is in large part a row between Russell and Townsend. A lot of what is being said is rubbish but that the players did not side with Russell

There has never been a hint of Russell thinking he is bigger than the team before – indeed a model professional. Its clear that some of the leaking has been spin to put the blame on Russell.

the problem is Townsend is simply not an international coach and everyone knows this.

fatmax

And a bit of a clique in the squad that like to have an occasional line of coke, according to some former internationals yesterday. 🤔

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘So what’s Fin Russel been up to’ is closed to new replies.