Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • So what’s been your Midlife Crisis money pit (or not)
  • redsox
    Free Member

Having drooled in the “Mid-Life_Crisis (Motorbike purchase) thread, it got me thinking “what’s been mine?” …….thank god I’m too scared to spend large amounts of money on myself!!!

Vinyl records – under some illusion that I might give DJ’ing a go

Motorbikes

Warhammer/Dungeons and Dragons – but nobody wants to play with me

So what has consumed your 40’s?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Travel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm, surfboards.. bikes… swanky restaurants… I bought a Vespa Gt300gs to ride around town on (but sold it as it hardly got used)

Now I’m in my 50’s and I’m still buying surfboards and going to swanky restaurants. I am contemplating buying a twinshock Ossa or Bultaco Sherpa trialsbike..

Like this:

Or this:

Not that I’m going to ride either in any sort of trials, but I’d love one for those occasional Trail type rides once/twice a year..

felltop

Fleet of bikes. Turning 50 this year was a good excuse to replace an old Tricross with a Fairlight Strael. Not a money pit though, really good value for a top end steel frame – that’s how I justified it anyway!

doris5000

i am gonna hit my 40s in 364 days (yikes)

i expect that my spare cash will be consumed by some or all of:

Music tech stuff

holidays

attempting to mitigate the fact that i didn’t start a pension til i was 35

a loft conversion

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Water Ski boat, although not mid life crisis as we’ve run them for 20 years+, but massive money pit, buying, upkeep and 5.7L V8 drinks fuel

BoardinBob

Cocaine and hookers

julians
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Water Ski boat, although not mid life crisis as we’ve run them for 20 years+, but massive money pit, buying, upkeep and 5.7L V8 drinks fuel</span>

ditto – a boat – costs a fortune to keep,maintain and run.

binners

One of these…

dovebiker

tjagain

Not really had one.  Maybe swapping from two motorcycles to 7 bicycles in my 40s?  I do also have a 1960 bsa sat in a lockup where its been for a decade and the lockup rent over that time is many times the value of the bike

funkmasterp

So what has consumed your 40’s?

Kids – Although it’s early days as I’m only 41. I did treat myself to a used Cotic Flare last year though.

Northwind

Not quite 40 yet but, radio controlled rock crawlers.

scud
    Free Member

Despite being 43 and having owned 20+ bikes, i had never bought a new quality frame and forks and had always wanted to try titanium:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Many on here seem to sink thousands into bikes!

I had a couple of 60s Volvos. Didn’t lose too much on them

qwerty
    Free Member

For me, it’s MTB, same as the last 27 years….!!!

My neighbours has been an immaculate Porsche 911, last of the naturally aspirated, fat, whale tail, version (can’t remember exactly), purchased for 30k about 6 years ago, now worth around 100k. Been through official Porsche dealer restoration for some minor work, more of an investment than a money pit. I think most vintage cars will go that way.

edhornby

I’ve not decided yet , hankering for a new guitar , either a classic vibe Tele or maybe a Gordon Smith GS1. I also have a looper pedal for practice purposes and I can see myself collecting pedals.….

(Ed aged 42)

slackalice
    Free Member

Nice work there binners 😃 Careful going round corners and roundabouts but they make a lovely engine sound.

As for mid-life crisis, mine was circa 14 or so years ago and was my sanity. 😝 Priceless…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I am contemplating buying a twinshock Ossa or Bultaco Sherpa trialsbike..

I couldv’e sold you one BB, long time ago though!

[/url]Bulto

Or a Mont?

][url=https://flic.kr/p/vRNawr]DH000001[/url]

Midlife crisis for me was a bit of infidelity & some tats.

I wasn’t married & no kids were involved with the first bit) 😎

Tracey

Amongst other things

More recently

Today I’ve treated myself to a great day on the bike

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice bikes essel!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice bikes essel!

Thanks. I rued selling the Mont, it was the last brand new trials bike I bought, paid £850 for it. Then I got the Bulto 2nd hand for £100, did it up a bit & sold it for £350. I rued that as well cos you know how much theyr’e going for now, in decent nick.

My mate’s in the process of renovating an Ossa MAR like that one you put on.

My next midlife (oldlife) crisis could be another trially bike!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Putting four kids through Uni….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Had a mini-middi when I turned 30 (11 years ago) and decided despite being an overweight scaredy-cat I’d give DH a go. The next few years was a blur of ever increasing LBS bills and close calls.

40s and so farkids have consumed all my time and money.

Im sorta looking forward to 50. Kids will be old enough to leave in each other’s care for a bit, we plan to buy a little MX-5 or the like and spend a few weeks touring a bit of Europe. I expect ‘doing up’ the Mazda could become a hardcore passion.

scotroutes

A daughter

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C&H

tomhoward

Helluva gazebo that Binners, hope you enjoy it!

5lab

A daughter

your’s or someone else’s

slowoldman

Gordon Smith GS1

I have one of those and a Gordon Smith Graf.

My mid life crisis spending was, I think, on a variety of instruments. Guitars, melodeons and oboes. Yes oboes, 4 of ’em. At least they’ve all been second hand. On top of that there’s years of lessons, piles of sheet music, etc. So a pretty reasonable investment and worth every penny for the pleasure it brings.

Music beats everything.

matt_outandabout

Kids here too, we’re at the most expensive stage too it seems 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

Airfix kits. Loads of them.

Binners… have you bought that?

beefheart
    Free Member

Mk1 VW Caddy.

TiRed

Bikes, bike racing, university and flying lessons.

Never had a crisis.

metalheart
    Free Member

Mountain bikes (most of em cotics…)

motorbikes

guitars (& amps I guess)

tents 🤣

sweaman2
    Free Member

we’re at the most expensive stage too it seems

There’s a cheap stage?

onandon
    Free Member

I’m 42.

i took the last two years off just to ride bikes. Not really a middle age thing, just realised I have the money, health and time to do this now before one of them decides to leave.

dovebiker

From a biking perspective, for my 50th I designed and built myself a custom titanium fat bike and decided I needed to ‘find myself’ so went riding somewhere cold:

Akers

So far, increasing the number of mountain bikes that I own, going on more mountain biking trips and buying more biking stuff!

timbog160

binners

Harry – I bought the thing a few years back then got rid of it when I found out the truth in the Dandy Warhol’s lyric “you’ve got a nice car, yeah, what’s wrong with it today?”

Classic cars = proper money pits

These day’s it’s artwork. I’m presently looking at this Pegasus original silk screen print hung above the fireplace. I bloody love it! It cost more than my car…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘So what’s been your Midlife Crisis money pit (or not)’ is closed to new replies.