Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 489 total)
  • So, what’re your new energy costs?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

presumably you’ll just end up in about £250 worth of credit by March having had your DD adjusted to zero?

Well I’m already £185 in credit as we also have PV there so our ‘leccy usage is pretty minimum.

I’ve actually just looked at my account and, yes, “From 01/10/2022, you’ll be paying nothing because you have a payment holiday”.

I might keep paying a bit in anyway if possible.

joeyr
    Free Member

Thanks irc, will keep an eye on the usage over the next few months. Have e-mailed ofgem to see what the procedure would be if the old meter was inaccurate. I imagine there’s no comeback as many of my old energy companies have gone bust – if I’ve paid £40 too much each month for gas then I’ve overpaid by £6k over the time I’ve lived here.

fossy

Scottish Power currently telling me I’m not paying enough – £500 in credit at least by 2nd October. Web sites starting to get issues – just logged on – 605th in the queue. I’m currently overpaying by about £150 a month – I am not putting the DD up.

iainc

^^^^ similar here, won’t allow me to change the DD, am also showing as £820 in credit..

joeyr
    Free Member

British Gas saying I’m overpaying on the App, but lists me as underpaying on their website. Admittedly the amount I’m supposedly underpaying by (debit at end of contract) is shrinking by the day so App may use current usage (with meter issue mentioned above), and the Website uses historical data? Worth double checking both if you’re with BG.

stcolin
    Free Member

We’ve now got a new house with an extra room and maybe 4/5 extra rads. Plus we’ve lost the 1kw solar array we had at the old house. We had been paying around £100 per month and we have a few hundred in credit with Bulb. I’m guessing we will easily double our bills now. I’ll know more next month when we get the first bill.

neilnevill
    Free Member

When Shell said 5-10 days for refunds to reach bank accounts they seem to mean it. 6 days on my cash is still in the shell energy account.

Tallpaul

Any Shell customers received confirmation of what their tariff will be from 1st October? Aside from acknowledging the energy price guarantee takes effect from 1st October my account doesn’t seem to have any details of the actual rates.

I know i can find these elsewhere but it seems shoddy that they’ve not been communicated directly to customers will less than 48hrs until they take effect!

the-muffin-man

Any Shell customers received confirmation of what their tariff will be from 1st October?

@Tallpaul

I got an email on 22nd from them…

Your electricity rates are changing from 27.627p to 33.017p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 44.74p to 45.76p.
    Your gas rates are changing from 7.282p to 10.236p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 27.22p to 28.48p.

…with the £66 per month to come off I should be better off over the next 6 months.

Tallpaul

Cheers, not sure why I didn’t get that email nor why it’s not available on their website

gobuchul
    Free Member

The wife’s small shop just got a message from Bulb.

Going from 35p kWh to 65pkWh.

We don’t try to heat it in the winter, don’t put the shelving lights on anymore and it still is going to cost £150 per month.

fossy

That rate is incredible. My BIL/SIL have an electrical shop – they’ve got lights on most of the time – i.e. ones they want to sell.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That rate is incredible.

I had a look online for a better deal. EDF wanted 85pKWh, fixed for a year.

Dickyboy

Octopus have just knocked my DD back from £175pm to £110pm, but the new rates would have me using £110pm in the summer with no heating on & I’m not very much in credit, does anyone know if its possible to increase DD with Octopus?

flicker
    Free Member

They’ve knocked it back due to the £400 government payment split into 6 chunks of £66 starting in October. Log into your octopus app and adjust it back up, that’s what I’ll be doing with mine too.

Dickyboy

@flicker – ah yes I’d forgotten about that, will monitor our gas use once the heating goes on & adjust as necessary. ta

theotherjonv

My BIL/SIL have an electrical shop – they’ve got lights on most of the time – i.e. ones they want to sell.

Are they all on one circuit (I mean, not necessarily all, but on a few circuits)  Any means to have each on a switch so you can turn on and off to show customers as needed.

I’d never even thought of that until now, but I drive past a lighting shop most evenings and you’re right, it’s always aglow.

5lab

The wife’s small shop just got a message from Bulb.

Going from 35p kWh to 65pkWh.

We don’t try to heat it in the winter, don’t put the shelving lights on anymore and it still is going to cost £150 per month.

if you’re not heating, what are you using all that power for? Assuming 6 days a week, 8 hours per day (????), that’s using 4,800w the whole time the shop is open. drop, say 300w for a till\screen and 4,500W is the equivilent of running 500 LED bulbs?

gobuchul
    Free Member

if you’re not heating, what are you using all that power for?

I’m not sure where you get the 4800 watts from?

We run a till, laptop, vacuum and 8 x LED light panels. The panels pull about 240w according to the Shelly controller.

Looking back at my bills we use about 100 – 110 kWh per month. So roughly £70 + £10 per month standing charge.

So Bulb are taking the piss a bit with the increase in the payment amount. I will let them take a couple of payments at that rate, just as a buffer and then bring it down.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Don’t forget your meter readings today. Shell app has a 6 minute queue to log on currently….I think they may be busy!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So Bulb are taking the piss a bit with the increase in the payment amount. I will let them take a couple of payments at that rate, just as a buffer and then bring it down.

Did our Bulb meter readings 3 days ago. Email today to say we could lower our payments from £194 a month to £115.
    Think I’ll just leave it & stay warm.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Shell refund update. Should have been received in 5-10 days, 11 days later no refund. Decided to try chat on the app to contact them…172 in the queue. An hour later I get to the agent who tells me they rejected the refund! Apparently they wanted me to increase the DD, but didn’t tell me they rejected it. Complaint raised. Ok tell the agent to change the DD, she does, and re-initiate a refund. Can’t. Billing system turned off due to tarriff updates and they need an up to date bill. FFS. Billing ‘should’ be on again Friday. I’ll try again then. FFS. I’ll be off to the ombudsman if that doesn’t work.

montgomery
    Free Member

Dealing with Eon-next at the place I’ve been in for two months (they were the existing provider) has been pleasingly painless. I’ve elected to pay monthly by DD for what I actually use, based on my meter readings. I logged on with no problem on the 30th, input my numbers, and had a gas/elec bill for September within the hour: £46, that’ll be deducted from my account on the 21st.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t been following this, I’ve just cut back as much as possible. But it says that the new price cap from 1st Oct limits electricity to 34p/kWh, and my Intelligent Octopus tariff is 40p peak.

What am I missing?

simondbarnes

What am I missing?

I think the cap only covers default tariffs such as the standard variable.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

The cap is on the average rate applied, so if off peak is lower and that results in cap or less then it’s ok. Our octopus go is the same, so with 39p peak and 7.5 the average price is 15.8 p/ kWh, so better than cap. This will go up as it gets darker and our balance shifts a bit, but still much less than cap.
    They emailed us and explained this at the end of last week. I had been holding a small flicker of hope that the peak rate may drop a bit!

@molgrips
    – you mention you are on intelligent octopus- from the EV thread I believe you have an Ioniq – how does this work with the Hyundai? I was not aware it was available for Hyundai currently. This could work well for me as often have the car at home during the day and could take advantage.

molgrips
    Free Member

how does this work with the Hyundai?

I just went through the switch process on the app, and it listed Hyundai as supported, but they also support the Ohme charger (which I have, on good advice from the fitter) which will make Octopus work with any car anyway.

With my wife’s current commute, the cost saving of the EV versus diesel pays for 80% of the projected electricity bill, including the EV charging. Another example of a poverty trap, since people on lower incomes can’t afford EVs. That’s not meant to be willy waving – we only got ours on a super cheap deal before everything went nuts, and we can’t afford our own when this goes back.

twistedpencil

I’m really confused, doesn’t take much admittedly, there is a -£66 refund on my ovo account which has reduced my credit on my account but definitely not turned up in my bank account. It just looks like the government have taken money out of my account as opposed to money going in…

I’m sure I must have this back to front but somethings not right.

singletrackmind

£46, for 2 months!
    £23 pcm with ovo? ”
    That is less than my standing charge cost with Octopus, and i thought that theirs was on the lower end of the scale.
    So either you have pv and have exported alot
    You started with credit moved from your old place
    Or i cant read a gas bill properly
    Or you have been pn holiday for 7 weeks

montgomery
    Free Member

£46, for 2 months!
    £23 pcm with ovo? ”
    That is less than my standing charge cost with Octopus, and i thought that theirs was on the lower end of the scale.
    So either you have pv and have exported alot
    You started with credit moved from your old place
    Or i cant read a gas bill properly
    Or you have been pn holiday for 7 weeks

Is that aimed at me, as I’m the only person who mentioned the sum ‘£46’ recently? No, none of the above. £46 just for September, gas and electricity, including standing charges for both, based on meter readings from 30th Aug to 30th Sept (August was £40.99). No PV exporting, no holidays, no credit from other places, just careful use of resources.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m really confused, doesn’t take much admittedly, there is a -£66 refund on my ovo account which has reduced my credit on my account but definitely not turned up in my bank account. It just looks like the government have taken money out of my account as opposed to money going in…

I’m sure I must have this back to front but somethings not right.

Nothing goes in or out of your bank account. The £66/67 rebate gets applied to your energy account by the utility provider. How exactly that works depends on how you pay your bills. It’s not rocket science and there’s plenty online explaining how it works.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used £4 of gas in August, bill was £23. We were avoiding cooking during the heat, and the water tank was set to a pretty cool temp.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got another email from Blub to say that because of our usage & recent meter readings that they’re dropping our DD from £194 to £120 a month (last week they reckoned £115) so I’ve adjusted it to £145.
    Hopefully we won’t need to worry as we’re away all of October & 2 more weeks in February, already stacks in credit anyway.
    There’s only 2 of us in the house so we’ve knocked the water heating off to an hour on a morning & an hour at nigh for showering & washing up. Heating goes on when it’s cold enough.

chewkw
    Free Member

My September 2022 electric and gas bills with Bulb.

Electricity: £64 (Unit rate: 30.70p/KWh, Standing charge: 47.55p/day)
    Gas: £12.03 (Unit rate: 9.71p/KWh, Standing charge: 27.13p/day)
    Total: £76.88

Starting 1 Oct Bulb has provided Energy Bills Support Scheme of £66.
    Council has also given £150 whatever rebate.

Normally, before the Ukraine/Russian war my energy bill (Electric and Gas combined) was around £42 to £48 at this time of the year.

I don’t turn on my central heating until near January where my bedroom temp would go as low as 4c … LOL! I am going to freeze again this year …

retrorick

4c! My living room used to get to 7c but now with better windows and draft reduction it might drop to 10c.
    I won’t be using the ch in the morning this year before heading to work. I’ll make do with the far infrared panels i have bought or a fan heater in the kitchen to take the chill out of the room.

twistedpencil

@Montgomery Appreciate its not rocket science but the £66 has actually reduced the amount of credit in my account. That definitely feels wrong and not sure what is going on. It looks to have been applied correctly in September, so it may be just some weird accounting thing during the billing period.  I’m not bad at sums, job kind of relies on it 😉, and I hate rogue numbers.  I’ll drop ovo a line to see if they can clarify what is going on…

purple_moose
    Free Member

No changes for me so far from Octopus and they have sent me an email to say they aren’t planning to adjust

I’m currently £160 in credit

doomanic

EDF here. Average energy usage since last December is £143. I’m nearly £500 in credit and pre-october DD is £246pcm! I’ve dropped the DD to £197 today, which is the lowest the website will let me go down to. I can’t see any option for requesting a refund, so I suppose I’ll have to call them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It looks to have been applied correctly in September

There wasn’t a payment in September so that suggests its something else.

doomanic

@Montgomery because I pay by DD I’m getting the money refunded to my bank account, not credited to my energy account.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 489 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.