Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • So what was the highlight of your riding year this year?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Other than that session behind the Asda in Swindon?

I was in Chamonix for a week with friends from school, but the weather had been very poor. On the single worst day one of the four of us simply didn’t ride, and the other two decided to bail as soon as we got off at the midstation at Le Tour. This was understandable – there was zero visibility and howling wind and the lift should not have been open at all. So I set off alone up the chairlift to 2,000m, and was quite nervous as you couldn’t see a thing. It was blowing a gale up top but I pushed my bike up the Col de Balme regardless, and onwards to the Croix de Fer, over the border into Switzerland. As I got up towards about 2,300m (I think), the clouds began to part and you could briefly see all the way up the Rhone Valley to Martigny and even possibly Verbier, but the weather was still very unstable. When I got to the ridge at the top I found myself in this sunny bowl about a mile across, but you could see the storm over the valley above Emosson and Vallorcine. The clouds were all moving really fast like flames and the light kept going from blinding to pitch black very quickly! The Col de Balme is normally a very well-travelled, civilised part of the Alps, but on this day it felt absolutely mental. Anyway then the sun came out and there was weird yellow evening light and I began the descent to Trient and got down just as it got dark. Now when it’s pissing rain I still get out and ride, as who knows what I’ll see.

bigdaddy

I did my first ever trip to the Alps this summer, did a version of the Tour de Mont Blanc in 4 days, which the best, craziest, most stunning riding trip I’ve ever done. Loved it. I WILL go back.

jam-bo

Riding my local woods on a Sunday morning. Just me and my hound.

druidh
    Free Member

Probably my LeJog. At the start of the year. I’d no idea I was going to be doing it and only signed up in April for a June trip 🙂

Mind you, the year’s not over yet. I have a target distance to make and I’ll be over the moon when/if that happens.

forge197
    Free Member

We did an all day alps epic started at 9.15am and rolled back to Morzine around 8pm some of the most amazing riding, stunning view of mont blanc.

d45yth
    Free Member

The year isn’t over yet!
    My highlight was riding in Spain’s Sierra Nevada at the start of January…I’m going back to a different region in a couple of days though, so we’ll see. 😀

Konastoner
    Free Member

Highlight was finally getting my ass to Morzine, and promptly wrecking my bike!

brakes
    Free Member

epic of day riding Chatel bike park which ended with a mad traverse after we missed the last lift to ride with a train of about 30 good riders down an amazing trail (on the opposite side of Morzine to the Avalanche DH) through the trees which was steep, rooty, technical and loooong.
    smile for miles!

druff
    Free Member

Clearing the 9′ gap at Jedi’s place at the end of the public jumps and drops course I did there. I was buzzing for two days afterwards. Not been able to look it in the eye again since, but I’m going to nail it again soon.

The sessions I’ve done with Tony this year have completely redefined not only the way I ride, but the way I look at riding too; it’s something that I’ll always look back on fondly and be extremely grateful for.

jhw
    Free Member

Clearing the 9′ gap at Jedi’s place at the end of the public jumps and drops course

cool!

sobriety
    Free Member

Riding more this year than I have in the last 7…

…and rediscovering my cojones

druff
    Free Member

jhw, yep was speechless after it – wasn’t able to stop grinning. If you’re in to that sort of thing and want to progress, definitely go and see Tony. It’s the best investment I’ve ever made in my riding.

jhw
    Free Member

is that 9′ down or 9′ across? (either is big…)

Popocatapetl

In no particular order: 😉 The Red and black runs from the top of the Mossettes Near Morzine whilst staying with Flow MTB (best food ever) and any of the Peak Pootles for the fun and people 😀

Kiril
    Free Member

Three mile smile in Las Vegas….

OmarLittle
    Free Member

A road ride from Jerusalem taking in Bethlehem, Massada and Jericho.

Not just the highlight of this year but one of the highlights of my life, cycling or otherwise.

boltonjon

Riding Snowdonia twice on a great November day – the 2nd time catching an awesome sunset and then racing 3 mates down the Llanberis path in the pitch black – the best DH i’ve ever done!

Got my first trip to the Alps planned for June 12… 😀

buttercup
    Free Member

The first time I ever did Cutgate looped with some Ladybower action. 35 total miles. Most pleasing last 5 miles ever.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Stopping halfway up a climb, well knackered and half ready to turn back when a huge eagle takes off from the trees to my right and practically clips me with his wing tip and he flys past and on through the woods. That´ll stay with me for a while.

Northwind

I’ve had a pretty great year… Ups and downs, lots of little injuries but lots of successes too.

Highlight definately the No Fuss Endurance Downhill at Fort William though. Like the best race ever, combined with the best uplift day ever. A fantastic day out with 150 likeminded bloody fools.

samuri
    Free Member

Nothing special this year other than riding more than I’ve ever ridden before.

boltonjon

Good answer Samuri!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Perhpas the orton round ride I did in the summer – just a nice ride from a route we were recommended on here, the right ride on the right day. Nothing that special but very pleasant indeed and just what we wanted

IMG_2043 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

xcneil
    Free Member

6th place in the expert category at the national xc series at Dalby forest on the world cup circuit

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

For me it was bumping into Jens Voigt three-quarters of the way up Alpe d’Huez

[video]http://vimeo.com/28211181[/video]

jhw
    Free Member

No that’s a nice picture TJ, the best of UK summer riding…

Can’t watch that video yet!

donsimon
    Free Member

Long, hot days and dry and dusty trails that started right outside the back door. 500m climbs and 20km descents, good company and good beer.

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, I met TJ this year and binners. How’s that for highlights?

_tom_
    Free Member

2 months in Whistler. Probably the best summer of my life. Kind of wish I could’ve stayed for longer but things have worked out very well for me job-wise back home so I can’t complain 🙂 Want to go back next year but doubt I can afford it til 2013.

& a cheesy one of me posing at the top

Closing weekend, one of the last runs of the season:

Highlight for me in Whistler is Crank It Up then cutting across to one of the double blacks and finishing on GLC medium drop (didn’t feel comfortable going for the large this time).

jhw
    Free Member

That’s what I’m talking about

mikey74
    Free Member

Whistler for me too, same as the three previous years.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

samuri – Member

Oh, I met TJ this year and binners. How’s that for highlights?

That was a grand ride out as well. Especially meeting up with this motley crew

colournoise

Any ride that involved me having fun.

That’s pretty much all of them then.

slainte 😀 rob

_tom_
    Free Member

Whistler for me too, same as the three previous years.

It’s like crack, going through major riding withdrawal at home 😆 mtb seems rather pointless back in the UK (at least in the east midlands) after being there, especially as that’s all I was doing all day every day.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Riding cyb in April this year and I hit a sweet spot for a couple of hours. I felt like a riding God. It didn’t last long. 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

Nothing really sticks in my mind, so they’ve probably all been pretty good 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Doing La Marmotte which was my hardest and best day in a bike ever.

coogan
    Free Member

After a silly mistake, fracturing my skull twice, bruising my brain front, side and back, some bleeding, a month in hospital in January and not working for about 3 months. Doing this again in April felt pretty dang amazing.

aP
    Free Member

Maratona dles Dolomites.maybe a tad warm though.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Doing trans-Provence, not brilliantly but still just doing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘So what was the highlight of your riding year this year?’ is closed to new replies.