Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • So what road wheels would you buy?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, I’d go for my option with hope hubs and differenct spokes from JRA for less money

theflatboy
    Free Member

Even with Laser spokes not CX Ray, speccing hope hubs and archteype rims on JRA comes out more expensive than that ^^^ everytime I attempt it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You only want lasers on the frontm, not on the back. Also, just standard brass nipples at no extra cost.

hillsplease

My second hand Hope mono/pro 2 onto magic cxp33 with 36 spokes at the back and 32 at the front. Stiff, long lasting and very strong, not to mention all the spares are easy to find. So far a pair of rear wheel bearings has been the worst of it. You can find lots lighter, but all depends on the extent to which durability matters. I am 17st and wouldn’t touch factory wheels after last time, supposedly bombproof, lasted 2 weeks.

deets

Shimano RS80’s etc are great until you wear through the rims after a few thousand miles. Then you’ll realise that it’s nowhere near feasible to rebuild with new rims. It annoyed me so much that I learnt to build my own wheels – best skill I’ve ever learnt, you’ll never look back!

I recently built some new road wheels for well under £300/1500g, details and pics here: http://deetsman.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/new_wheels/

wings
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

Interesting, wings – great suggestion.

shortcut

I recently had a set of Aksiums die on me and so decided I needed a new set of wheels.

I picked up a set of Hope Hoops with Open Pro rims for just over £300. My decision process was as follows.

I wanted something that was repairable so no silly spokes, hope hubs are easy to maintain and get parts for. Open Pro’s are entirely acceptable, easy to get hold of, have eyelets and build into a decent wheel for not much cash. If I bend something I can replace it or true it myself. I really don’t see the need for anything too flash for the riding I do and would prefer something repairable and strong to something cool or expensive.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Personally i think its hard to go wrong with Velocity rims built on decent hubs.

I got some Hopes on A23s a while back for £370 and they have been faultless.

theflatboy
    Free Member

And here are the finished product:

New Wheels! Black Archetype Bitex CX Ray by theflatboy, on Flickr

Not got my hands on them yet, but they’re on the way!

Haze

Nice, I’m looking at Archetypes for my next build.

Not sure whether to go with Novatec or Hope hubs yet, hadn’t considered/heard of Bitex.

Who built them for you?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep they look pretty good in the pictures. I’ll update once they arrive.

I looked around a bit for good price / spec options and ended up getting them from here: http://leadoutcycles.co.uk/index.html – had the right parts that I settled on for the best price I found.

theflatboy
    Free Member

While I think about it, I was looking at this place earlier on today: http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_235_357

The prices, including delivery to here, look pretty good – I haven’t cross-checked them in detail as I’ve already got mine sorted, but some of the prices for Archtype rims, CX Ray spokes and e.g. White Industries / CK hubs look seriously tempting!

Might be worth a look.

Haze

Budget rules out CK’s, sure those prices will include some import costs anyway?

oldgit
    Free Member

For use as everyday wheels you say.
    Then personally I’d go for a quality handbuilt and not worry too much about weight. Something Mavic’y on Hopes and quality spokes and nipples.
    ‘Triggers broom’ and all that.

ds3000
    Free Member

theflatboy – I used velomine for my last set of road wheels, a23s on Ultegra hubs with dt champion spokes, they’ve been perfect so far (9 months) very good vfm, a trustworthy company.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Haze, you’re right about import – I’d forgotten about that. They still might be an economical option, though – ds, how did yours stack up price-wise once you paid shipping and import?

I would seriously have considered them, I think. Too late now, but may go to them for future builds.

Haze

Uh, just read somewhere that Hope front Mono RS hubs shouldn’t be radially laced – loosens the bearings.

That may change things…

ds3000
    Free Member

theflatboy – should have said I live in the US so was internal postage. A good company to deal with though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gotcha – that probably does make a difference! Prices still look good, I’d say. Probably worth considering at least, particularly for the discounted options.

My wheels are not with me yet, I’m getting a bit impatient now!

Haze

Ok…

Archetypes 24/28 on Hope Mono RS, Sapim Laser spokes front and rear NDS with Race on the DS. All laced 2 cross.

daveb2251981
    Free Member

Mavic all the way if you want some Ksyriums inbox me and I will sort you out a good price.

Haze

Thanks but no ta, I can get Elites on a full bike build off the shelf, got my heart set on handbuilts.

TiRed

Just ordered some Dura Ace/Sapim/Open Pros (all black) from Harry Rowland to complement the Defy Advanced SL when it isn’t dressed in carbon SLR aero wheels.

After writing of the rear Ksyrium (mentioned above) in a pothole three weeks ago, another of Harry’s wheels on my fixed wheel suffered a severe flat spot in a another deep pothole but remained completely true – not round, mind, but perfectly rideable. So based on ride quality, I’m after the same again.

I also like Mavic tyres, which complement the Open Pro rims. There isn’t a huge difference in rim design between Open Pro and Ksyrium to be honest, but the ride of a fine set of handbuilts is noticeable.

nicko74

Nice, I bought a pair of Archetypes (SS) from Velomine. Absolutely top notch service, and great wheels.

The rims were nominally the Hard Ano version, but the brake track is already wearing :(. Shame, as they looked pimp

jamiec360
    Free Member

Those Archetypes look lovely.
    I went the boring Ksyrium elite route but they really are good wheels, also remember a bit better value than maybe first appear as normally sold as a complete wheelset including the tubes and actually pretty good tyres.
    2 other tips make sure you remind the shop to give you the MP3 (weird name) registration card as you need details of their customer registration number and have to register within 5 days of purchase but seems like a very good deal.
    Final tip probikekit.com are really cheap for Mavic wheel bags, got mine for £27 the pair they arrived within 18hrs of ordering and on a Saturday too so most impressed.

theflatboy
    Free Member

My wheels turned up but aren’t fitted yet. They look very nice indeed in all black, and the bearings in the Bitex feel suitably spinny in scientific not-fitted hand testing!

1,548g all in including velo plugs (+ very nice Bitex ti skewers at 44g for the pair), according to my home scales. Pretty happy with that, can’t wait to get them into use!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

DT SWISS R23s? have not ridden mine yet but 1550g and 240 hubs basically.

jamiec360
    Free Member

Haven’t seen it mentioned but Mavic have their insurance scheme MP3 so for about £40 extra you get full repair cover for a set of Ksyriums. Couple of important things, there are weight limits for particular wheels but they are pretty high, you need to keep your receipt and you absolutely must register within 5 days of purchase.

Fantombiker

I think you have to buy wheels and treat them as consumables, rims, bearings and freehubs wear out, spokes break. I gave up using mavics years ago, they look great but are very expensive to service.

Hand built wheels are the way to go, they stay true for longer and with the right build can be lighter, stiffer and easier to repair. Recently got a set of kinlin a300 rims with novatec hubs from http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk, less than 1500g, very stiff, about £300, done a few 1000 miles on them very good.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘So what road wheels would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.