Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • So what road wheels would you buy?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Around £400, could go up or down either side of that. I’m after something pretty light, but solid enough to be used all the time as sole wheelset within reason.

At the moment, I’m thinking along the lines of:

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe / Elite,
    Handbuilt Velocity A23s, Novatec hubs and CX Ray spokes, (either from Strada or DCR)
    Handbuilt H Plus Son Archetype, Novatec hubs and CX Ray spokes,
    (either from Strada or DCR)

What would you people recommend either out of the above or as alternatives?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Good point, I’d forgotten about them…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Ksyrium Elite and I’d get another pair without hesitation.

Light enough but the stiffness is the main thing for me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’ve heard very good things about the Ksyriums… is it true that replacement parts (i.e. spokes) are very expensive / hard to come by?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Wheelsmith A24’s? I think they are based on Archetype rims.

Think they’re just over £400, weigh somewhere in the region of 1450g (can’t remember exactly).

Very pleased with mine, but the pimp black anodising doesn’t last 5 minutes in the rain.

Shimano RS80’s would be my other choice and with a bit of shopping around are nearer to £300.

What you got at the moment? Is it a new build or an upgrade from existing wheels?

LardLover
    Free Member

Hope ProIII’s on Mavic Open Pro CD’s.

Them or a Xentis full carbon clincher from Merlin. Currently have 50% off at the mo. You could get the rear……….and then maybe get the front (there is no carbon clincher that comes close to the braking of these bad boys, even in the wet).

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Planet X carbon clinchers have a metal braking surface. No problems in the wet.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I also saw some heavily discounted Eastons at CRC – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/easton-ea90-rt-road-wheelset-2013/rp-prod113744

At that price I’d consider buying them and forking out for the Shimano freehub so I could actually use them…!

njee20
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

mtbtomo – it’s an upgrade, at the moment they’re some I’ve got DT Swiss 2.0s that came stock on the bike. I fancy a moderate upgrade, hopefully to save a decent amount of weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stans here, liking them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ksyriums are pretty good.

If you’re gonna get handbuilts then try justridingalong as you’ll get top notch service and probably much cheaper than Strada who look a bit of a rip off/expensive.

My hope/A23s were about £375 from JRA. Not with those CX rays though, just lazer/race spokes.

The archetypes seem to be regarded as about the best rim choice for handbuilts at the moment (well for alloy clinchers). Wouldnt bother with the open pros, they’re pretty solid but not very wide.

globalti
    Free Member

Ksyriums are fantastic wheels, stiff and very strong.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Planet X AL30 and a lot of money saved for something else

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, if you’re quite heavy, then get at least 28 spokes in the rear, and good double butted ones. Not light weight pissy ones like DT revs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Planet X AL30 and a lot of money saved for something else

Yeh, they look shite. The model B’s I had fell apart. If you’re gonna spend money on something, then a good set of wheels and tyres is as good a thing as any.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I did look at Just Riding Along, but couldn’t come up with a build on their site that wasn’t either too pricey or was the right spec for what I’m looking for… I might have another look.

To answer a couple of posts above, I’m not too heavy, and would prefer aluminum rather than carbon braking.

Good suggestions coming in, though widening the options rather than homing in on a decision at the moment!

Northwind

theflatboy – Member

I’ve heard very good things about the Ksyriums… is it true that replacement parts (i.e. spokes) are very expensive / hard to come by?

Mavic part availability seems to be largely about how good your shop is- I had a nightmare trying to find an axle for a Crossmax, Mavic France refused to help unless I posted them both wheels… But I’m lucky enough to have a great LBS who managed to sort it eventually. Without them, I’d probably have binned the wheel. But all came good in the end and no complaints about the UK side of the company!

Conqueror
    Free Member

Yeh, they look shite. The model B’s I had fell apart. If you’re gonna spend money on something, then a good set of wheels and tyres is as good a thing as any.

Maybe you had a bad set (of model B and not AL30 by the sounds of things), I’ve found mine (AL30) to be fault free and they don’t weight much for the money

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did look at Just Riding Along, but couldn’t come up with a build on their site that wasn’t either too pricey or was the right spec for what I’m looking for… I might have another look.

Archetypes on hope hubs are £375

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Ksyrium Equipes have proved tough for me.
    Would still like some nice handbuilts, particularly like the sound of the architype rims, but I got an excellent deal on the Ksyriums.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Maybe you had a bad set (of model B and not AL30 by the sounds of things), I’ve found mine (AL30) to be fault free and they don’t weight much for the money

Yeh, well the hubs aren’t the best. They’re not to heavy, not stiff at all though, thats more important than weight.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wide ones.
    Either A23’s / archetype or the easton road tubeless that CRC are doing silly cheap.
    (I have the Easton’s and about to get hope Handbuilts with a 23mm rim)

jonba
    Free Member

I like my shimano RS80s they were well under your budget and see me as an all round set of road wheels.

RS81 will probably be just as good (latest model?) if you cant find the RS80

plus-one

+1 on far sports 38mm clinchers

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Fulcrum racing 3’s here nice wheels. Some old fart pulled out on me once caught my rear wheel but still remained true. I’d have racing zeros if I could justify the cost

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got some AL30’s too and they’re stiff enough with the bladed spokes.

They’re as good as anything else for £150.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, this is all very useful. Though I’m no nearer to making a decision!

david t, would you mind putting up the link to the JRA wheelset at that price, as I still can’t see it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just go on the custom build options and spec a front and rear set up. That’s not with CX ray spokes though. Just lazer front/race rear. How heavy are you?

lesgrandepotato

I picked up a set if campag zondas for 275 from halfords the other day. Seem to be very nice for the money.

mike_p
    Free Member

Shimano RS80s here, really good, light & tough… I’m a big lad and have ridden them hard for a year yet they’re still good as new

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m just over 75kg at the mo. I’ve dropped a bit, I was more like 80kg but all this road riding seems to be doing something!

edhornby

go on to the bikeradar forum (I know, I know…) and look at all the handbuilt threads for ideas, there’s a guy on there ID is UgoSantalucia and he builds wheels so is extremely knowledgeable, give you lots of ideas on hubs/rims if you do go for handbuilt

I have fulcrum 5s and they are great

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just bought some RS81’s and running 10 speed, so come with the 11 to 10 speed spacer. They are very nice wheels, mostly alloy rimmed with a carbon overlay. Fab way of adjusting bearings now, rather than 2 cone spanners and easy to service. Only two bearings for smooth running, so think about these snazzy hubs like Hopes, my Pro 3 has 5 bearings rolling in the rear. They are now on my winter bike.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, so my shortlist is now about 3 options longer than it was before… Very torn between just pulling the trigger on some Mavics / Shimanos or getting a lovingly handcrafted set. Probably leaning marginally towards handbuilt.

TiRed

Kysrium Elites for strong and stiff and light. To give you an idea of strength, in a race yesterday my rear mech hanger sheared and the mech went into the spokes at 25mph locking the wheel for a 20m skid to a halt. The Kysirium Elite spokes all held, only one of which has a small kink, and the rim will need a slight truing. That is a strong wheel. Sadly the chainstay looks pretty awful.

For long distance comfort, however, I’d go handbuilt with dura ace or ultegra hubs and a nice light rim. Open pro is good, but there are lighter.

mashiehood
    Free Member

+2 for the 38mm farsport clinchers

theflatboy
    Free Member

Those farsports do look tempting, but I’m after alloy braking.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about / got any experience of Leadout Cycles?

They have a pretty bargainous looking option – Archetype rims, Novatec hubs and CX Ray spokes, £379 all in.

Seems to tick all the boxes and a very nice price…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘So what road wheels would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.