Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • So, what is the point of Iceland then ?
  • I mean, they’ve got volcanoes and dodgy banks, but that’s about it.
    Pirates are far more exciting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on that scale what has the SE got going for it?

bampot
    Free Member

So… London’s only got dodgy banks… Iceland 2, London 1. Volcanoes are better than pirates too (but not by much 😀 )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheez0
    Free Member

I knew there was a reason why i couldn’t sleep.. its so that i can reply to this thread!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

..just what is the point of it all?

toby1

Dunno, I’m heading there in September hopefully. I’ll report back with my findings.

Any recommended questions for locals other than “So what is the point of this place again?”?

johnners
    Free Member

If you don’t think volcanoes are exciting then you’re not standing close enough.

Stoner
    Free Member

Check out Issue 71

rkk01
    Free Member

Its bloody good for exploring

Murray

It stops the mid-Atlantic ridge unzipping!

It also provides yummy fish fingers. Not sure what country provides the ketchup though.

convert

It’s got a way cool name too! ICEland – nails! We would currently be called Mudland, or Nicecupofteaandwatchtherainpoordownland which is just pathetic.

They do a good line in flys too, and alcoholics and suicide.

wrecker
    Free Member

Low risk of being kidnapped/beheaded.
    Amazingly attractive womenfolk.
    Scenery etc.
    In fact I think I’d rather live there than here.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They sell great frozen sausage rolls!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Plenty of geothermal energy. So much so that the UK may become increasingly reliant on their supply.

Peyote
    Free Member

Bjork is good, the musical/art world would be a poorer place without her and her unique brand of nuttiness!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ton

PP,great minds think alike

PeterPoddy – Member
    They sell great frozen sausage rolls!

those mini profiterolls are awesum……. 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Iceland, as a place, not the shop, is awesome. In every sense of the word.

easygroove
    Free Member

GUS GUS are from iceland too…..they are way more mentallist than bjork and in to bikes!
    Gus Gus

Innes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6hGc7S8d88[/video]

Mister-P
    Free Member

It also provides yummy fish fingers. Not sure what country provides the ketchup though.

Ketchup with fish fingers? 😯

Innes
    Free Member

Fish Fingers with no Ketchup? 😯

Innes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHuXpWSNa-8[/video]

zippykona

salad cream with fish fingers.
    Or now that I am grown up, call them cod goujons and have them with Thai chilli dipping sauce.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i think the main point of iceland is to show the rest of the world that this banking crisis is a big scam and it is intirely possible to say “banks are private companies, so when they get things wrong it is their own responsibility, and the bankers are liable not the population of the country.” not that you will find much on their recent revolution in our media

mogrim

“banks are private companies, so when they get things wrong it is their own responsibility, and the bankers are liable not the population of the country.”

I agree up to a point, assuming this doesn’t mean they’re simply changing the law now things are going against them. If a local authority has used an Icelandic bank on the basis that it has government-backed guarantees, the bank has profitted from this, then it fails and the government won’t stand by this promise… fine, if the bank hasn’t been paying taxes in Iceland, but if it has?

Should say I’m very happy to see the bank itself fail, and have no interest in seeing it (or any other bank) being propped up for the benefit of shareholders, I’m just uneasy about voters deciding not to honour previously made promises just because it’s no longer in their interest to do so.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Sigur Ros?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWiJWLiSKro[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know Mr Iceland ( or who used to be Mr Iceland ) has a very nice massive home on the Welsh/Cheshire boarders across the road from one of Mrs FD’s friends farms.

Iceland obviously made him alot of money!

El-bent
    Free Member

ICELAND. Strange we hear very little news from it these days. How come we hear everything that happens in Egypt and such places, but no news about what’s happening in Iceland.

In Iceland, the people has made the government resign, the primary banks have been nationalized, it was decided to not pay the debt that these created with Great Britain and Holland due to their bad financial politics and a public assembly has been created to rewrite the constitution.

And all of this in a peaceful way. A whole revolution against the powers that have created the current global crisis.

So in summary:
    -resignation of the whole government
    -nationalization of the bank.
    -referendum so that the people can decide over the economic decisions.
    -incarcerating the responsible parties
    -rewriting of the constitution by its people.

This is why there hasn’t been any publicity during the last two years. What would happen if the rest of the EU citizens took this as an example? What would happen if the US citizens took this as an example?

The powers that be wouldn’t want to be giving us plebs any ideas now would they?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Iceland – I’m no fan of Bjollorks, but am a huge fan of what El-bent said.

mogrim

ICELAND. Strange we hear very little news from it these days. How come we hear everything that happens in Egypt and such places, but no news about what’s happening in Iceland.

Weird you’ve heard so much about it, if it’s not in the news.

Also, a popular uprising against a dictator in a major middle eastern country is far more likely to get media coverage than a peaceful debate and a vote in a small stable democracy on the outer edge of Europe. Volcanos are pretty cool, but pyramids make for an even better backdrop on the 9 o’clock news…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Weird you’ve heard so much about it, if it’s not in the news.

😕

hels
    Free Member

A small stable, homogeneous democracy…

(clack clack sound of Molgrims tapping word into dictionary.com)

slimjim78
    Free Member

chicken dippers

kaesae
    Free Member

The people who control the media are the same people that control the banks, the people of Iceland are not interested in bullshit or fooled by empty words and simply will not listen or stand to be slaves.

What if the banks were fined for every single time they had broken the law and stolen from people and that money went into a new banking system that was governed by competent individuals who’s sole purpose for doing their jobs was not control through the accumulation of wealth? but development and growth.

What if we all decided what the money was used for and where all involved in it’s reinvesting, for too long we have accepted slavery. The people of Iceland have more strength of character and long term vision than any other countries citizens in the world.

The path the majority of us are on right now will lead to the annihilation of our race, more likely than not

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘So, what is the point of Iceland then ?’ is closed to new replies.