Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • So what is neuroticism (and agreeableness, industriousness etc)
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I thought I would share this since the use of the term ‘neuroticism’ tends to cause, well, a lot of neuroticism (that’s a joke btw).

This video is not just about neuroticism but about all of the big five personality factors. It also provides you with a link to a new site where you can get some really powerful data and insight into where you score on these traits versus the population in general.

It’s very interesting and worth a listen but the real insight, if your inlcined to spend some time and money, is the opportunity to learn more about yourself.

[video]https://youtu.be/4IdzC6mJzLA?t=145[/video]

kilo

I only lasted 13 seconds on it, he looks a bit weird and sounds boring that tells me I’m judgemental/ overly cynical / easy going / lazy. I suppose I’ll never find out what the big five personality factors are now 🙁

jam-bo

nope. still can’t listen to him.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Didn’t even turn it on …
    I don’t need anyone to tell me I’m a cantankerous, self opinionated, grumpy old **** ..
    Cheers !

bencooper
    Free Member

He lost me at “Extraversion” – if you can’t even spell your own woolly psychological concepts then you have got no chance of explaining the most complex thing in the universe in a 20-minute video.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Responses here say it all.

nope. still can’t listen to him. [\quote]

That’ll be a low score on openess and the subset of intellect (not IQ mind, not saying you’re low IQ).

kilo

True dat, yours included, obvs.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What does he say about over-dependence on external validation?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s very interesting and worth a listen but the real insight, if your inlcined to spend some time and money, is the opportunity to learn more about yourself.

But if that is what you want, you can do that here, for free, if you are prepared to listen

aracer
    Free Member

Is apathy one of his measures? Sorry I CBA watching the video to check.

jam-bo

can work the quote button better than you 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

not saying you’re low IQ

I am not a number!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have a look at that Prof’s wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

fasthaggis

I did try to listen,honest,then I got distracted and switched to a more inspirational ‘Friday’ film clip. 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/TcWPiHjIExA[/video]

slowoldman

I don’t need anyone to tell me I’m a cantankerous, self opinionated, grumpy old **** ..

Me neither.

perchypanther
    Free Member

So what is neuroticism

A pop culture movement and post-punk musical genre that originated in the United Kingdom in the early 1980s?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

[quote]
    Me neither.
    [/quote]
    yeah, we all know that about hodgynd

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A pop culture movement and post-punk musical genre that originated in the United Kingdom in the early 1980s?

applause

hodgynd
    Free Member

😆
    Awww shucks ..youre too kind ..

geetee1972
    Free Member

He lost me at “Extraversion” – if you can’t even spell

You missed the play on words then. The term was posted above images of different characters played by Jim Carey.

Have a look at that Prof’s wiki page

Yes do. It’s a very good summary of some of his other ideas, which are all very interesting; challenging and definitely against the prevailing ideology but valid and interesting nevertheless.

wrecker
    Free Member

The mental health training we had told us that neurotic is not a word that should be used at all due to the stigma of it being predominantly associated with women. Dunno if it’s true or not but it’s a no-no in our organisation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Valid seems to have changed its meaning since i did psychology

these days it seems to mean scour the internet to find someone with some qualifications who you agree with

Having briefly scoured his work I see why you are a disciple he rails against all the things you find so oppressive as a white middle class man….the oppression almost crushes you doesnt it

Does he say anything about repetitive thread syndrome ?

PS anyone who uses Freud for anything other than ridicule or for a historical explanation of the evolution of Psychology is either an american or a loon or both. Its utter utter bollocks, its non scientific and Freud only changed his theory because folk would not accept children were sexually abused hence it was all in their[ polymorphically perverse] minds.

wrecker
    Free Member

*steps away*
    I don’t think I want to know what polymorphically peverse means.

geetee1972
    Free Member

.the oppression almost crushes you doesnt it [\quote]

Well it would anyone but in this instance it’s the rank hypocrisy that stinks most.

I like what he says. I agree with him and so do a lot of people. It’s an important topic and the prevailing (pathological) ideology always needs to be sense checked so repetition is important.

But in this instance, really all I intended was to give people an insight into what ‘neuroticism’ actually meant (not neurotic, that’s something else).

If you don’t like or agree with the science that’s your call.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Here is some more of his science this time on on the illumanti careful you dont get overwhelmed by all the data he uses 😆
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxwiBTyIN4[/video]

bencooper
    Free Member

ou missed the play on words then. The term was posted above images of different characters played by Jim Carey.

Was he in a film where he couldn’t spell extrovert as well?

(I know it can be spelled either way, but that’s the first thing in the video that bugged me)

The human brain is the most complex thing we know of in the universe. The idea that it can be simplified to 5 types that fit onto a neat diagram is nonsense. But it’s what I’d expect from a non-science.

wrecker
    Free Member

If neuroticism isn’t related to neurotic then I don’t want to know. If they can’t even get the name right……

Gunz
    Free Member

It’s a very good summary of some of his other ideas, which are all very interesting

One of these statements is false.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

vdubber67
    Free Member

I prefer necroticism

RobHilton
    Free Member

repetitive thread syndrome

😆 😆 😆 😆

Love it!

chakaping
    Free Member

*insert facepalm meme here*

teasel
    Free Member

This thread is filled with arse about face quoting.

Fuxsupwitchoo weirdos…?!

CountZero

Here is some more of his science this time on on the illumanti careful you dont get overwhelmed by all the data he uses

Oh Christ on a pogo stick, the sodding Illuminati! I’m out before the usual suspect rolls up.

footflaps

Oh Christ on a pogo stick, the sodding Illuminati!

It’s OK, they’ve all had personality tests done….

GrahamS

..really all I intended was to give people an insight into what ‘neuroticism’ actually meant (not neurotic, that’s something else).

This thread is presumably an attempt to clear up the “confusion” and offence over your use of the term ‘neuroticism’ on the #MeToo thread yesterday where, regarding women feeling scared for their wellbeing in the street due to unwanted advances, you said:

“That’s just as likely to be the result of neuroticism (which women score higher on) than actual threat though.”

But if your defence is that you meant some special meaning of “neuroticism” which doesn’t match the one in the dictionary and doesn’t actually mean “neurotic” then you’d need to also explain what you meant when you later said:

“What is more likely in a lot of these ‘harassment’ casss is one party being quite insensitive but not predatory and the other side being quite sensitive (ie neurotic) and believing that the act was predatory….
    …women are far more neurotic ie they tend to think and worry about things more readily they feel stress more readily.”

Though perhaps your comments, and this entire thread, can be explained by the other thing you said:

Now, regarding my comments on neuroticism, yes, they were trolling remarks, I’ll admit.

ehrob

Geetee, I’ve read and thought about what you’ve written both on here and other threads.

This is the first time I’ve commented.

Get some help.

CountZero

It’s OK, they’ve all had personality tests done….

Phew, had me worried there for a minute… 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

That sir, is very neat! Loving your astute insight, my thoughts too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘So what is neuroticism (and agreeableness, industriousness etc)’ is closed to new replies.