Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • So what is it about John Lewis Christmas adverts….
  • cookeaa

Came downstairs earlier, found the missus in floods.

Asked what was wrong. The only words I could identify were ‘snowman’ and ‘John Lewis’….

Looks like christmas is here then…

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like christmas is here then…

1l bottles of Baileys are starting to be reduced to a tenner. So I would have to agree.

leffeboy

Just reading & discussing won’t do much for sales though will it.

In Internet land that isn’t entirely true unfortunatly. Having an ad go viral is brilliant for seo and reducing the cost of google Adwords (I think). So it may not be you doing th purchasing but you make a small diffence in th chances of someone else making a purchase. Apparently there is 8 billion spent online over the christmas period so if you can redirect 0.1% to you then you’ve paid for yer ad

footflaps

The JL xmas ad is becoming its own institution. They’ve had 3 years of world class ads in a row.

yunki
    Free Member

The JL xmas ad is becoming its own institution. They’ve had 3 years of world class ads in a row.

I think you’re probably right, and why the heck not..? it’s not like advertising campaigns have ever created traditions before is it..?

I’m sure the naysayers can remember purer times though.. 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

it’s not like advertising campaigns have ever created traditions before is it..?

I’m sure they can, but that particular one is an urban myth.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snopes.com%2Fcokelore%2Fsanta.asp&ei=yoifUNVw4b3RBcfWgVA&usg=AFQjCNHIkBFpi1taUXXSSv04BmKSYOjbSg&sig2=cNZF9sh6fp8CZN_WRnTGAA

yunki
    Free Member

I’m sure they can, but that particular one is an urban myth.

please don’t let’s bring facts into this.. 😐

nealglover
    Free Member

Sorry. My mistake.

As you were.

crikey
    Free Member

And where is the Baby Jesus in all this?

It’s meant to be his birthday.

yunki
    Free Member

I thought you celebrated this in a hearty pagan kinda way crikey..?

crikey
    Free Member

I do, but the Baby Jesus should get a look in too; it is a Christian festival on the top of a Pagan one.

It would be a great shame if it became simply a commercial one, although we seem to be heading that way on the journey to Hell, in a heavily sponsored handcart.

yunki
    Free Member

pagan religious festival
    christian religious festival
    consumerism religious festival

it is the (xmas) present

crikey
    Free Member

I think that’s what my rantiness is aimed at; I really don’t want Christmas to be a commercial event, not solely.

I don’t do religion really, but I would rather that Christmas stayed religious than became some bastardised bump on a balance sheet, some cash driven festival of consumerism where the emotion is derived from the latest shop advert rather than any true feeling for our fellow people.

I’m not a misanthrope, I’m upset by the crass and shallow way we have come to appreciate something that despite all the crap, despite all the rubbish, is actually a genuine Good Thing, in a world where such things are increasingly rare.

yunki
    Free Member

I think in a tiny way.. those john lewis adverts are doing just what you ask..

using the powerful tool of the media bring a bit of love and sentiment into the proceedings.. if they sell a few more suitcases and socks on the back of it then fair play.. at least they made an effort

no one’s a saint these days are they nicholas..?

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m with Crikey on this, Christmas ads are the very definition of bathetic.

crikey
    Free Member

I think that probably speaks more about the penetration and power of the media within our society than about actual love and/or sentiment.

Dunno.

For all my grumpy ranting, I think I’m probably more of a romantic than those who think adverts can/should/do provoke emotion.

It’s not about that. Christmas is a special time, but it has been hijacked, it has been appropriated by people who for all their ‘artistry’ and ‘talent’, will still sell their souls to the highest bidder.

I sat with a dying man this summer. He told me how much he earned, working for a big advertising company in London. He told me the campaigns he worked on, told me the work he had done and where to see it.

Then he told me that after 10 years of doing it, he realised he had sold his soul.

I don’t really believe in souls, but I understand what he meant by it.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m actually on your side with this.. but I’ve gotten so fed up with mrs yunki telling me that I’m festively challenged that I’ve made an effort to embrace it all in recent years..

and besides.. it’s a time for the kids really isn’t it..?
    How do you inject proceedings with a bit more integrity with regards to how the kids see the festivities..?

crikey
    Free Member

Again, dunno.

Opposition to the Commercial Christmas that seems to be the norm is a delicate tightrope to walk, because the default response is to be called Scrooge, and be accused of being a grumpy auld sod.

Yet Christmas and the associated emotions are one of the few times in the year that I do sit back and think about exactly these things, about the expectations that the media forces on us, about commerce and the crass, intrusive way we are expected to respond.

I make an effort to see my friends, to see my family, and to be as …well… nice as I can to people who aren’t going to have as good a time as me…

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘So what is it about John Lewis Christmas adverts….’ is closed to new replies.