• This topic has 127 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • So, what expensive stuff IS acceptable?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Plus mrsfry you did offer, on another thread, to shower someone in kebab meat and wine…. That’s pretty weird!

mrsfry
    Free Member

It’s only weird if i did it whilst they were gagged and bound….in a sack…the back of a van.

I wait for them to come through the front door.

mos

Owt wot you like I suppose.
    I could harp on about watches and cars that appreciate as opposed to depreciate, but chances are you’ve got to be rich to buy something like that in the first place, then it’s just the same old argument about rich people getting richer.

daftvader
    Free Member

Fair point mrsfry, fair point 😈

nickc

expensive is perfectly acceptable; ostentation is ****

this.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Skis and Holidays

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit, mrsfry’s imagination is starting to concern me. Assuming her posts are based on imagination, not experience that is…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Baked beans.

batfink
    Free Member

Shoes. It’s worth spending money on decent shoes.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

piemonster

It’s only weird if i did it whilst they were gagged and bound….in a sack…the back of a van.

Email in profile

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m back in Canary Wharf, I’ll be working amongst all those nasty money grabbing people you lot sooooo hate.

Shall I report back tomorrow night, y’know just to let you know what they all bought/received over Xmas?

You’ll hate them for it no matter what they received 😆

I do expect a watch or two to make an appearance..

Oh, and it’s Bonus season again 😆

sirromj

Desktop PC because laptops tablets iphones etc etc are sh*t.

Tiger6791

House
    Shoes
    Watch
    Bed
    Dinner

loddrik
    Free Member

Pedigree cats…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those aren’t cats, they’re Siamese.

And they’re glorious! Wow.

Xylene
    Free Member

Second homes, holiday homes and buy to let homes, especially ones that cost more than a watch

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Got a couple of those Siamese too. And yes, they’re an ongoing investment…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nice scarves.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice scarves.

Get out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice scarves.

Like you’d know. Might replace that Chelsea scarf which I assume you’ve chucked in the bin this year.

Scapegoat

Shoes
    Boots
    Gin
    Waterproof jackets
    Bespoke shotguns
    Custom built rifles
    Shooting optics

MrSmith
    Free Member

Like you’d know.

? 😐 I’m happy with my Missoni/Wallace&Sewell/Drakes scarves, sorry if they haven’t captured the neckwear zeitgeist for men about town. 😥

Stealth edit there so I’ll indulge you and address that point, I threw that scarf out because it was free when I attended a European game (remember those?!) but it was made of cheap synthetic so it got binned when I moved

chip
    Free Member

Not pants,

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

neckwear zeitgeist

😆

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Slippers & single malt #sostw.

willard

+1 for good quality firearms and optics. Both make a serious impact to accuracy. No pun intended there. I’m seriously considering a PM2, but I’m going to wait until I have something better than just a Remmy 700 to sit it on.

I’d also like to suggest gloves as something worth spending decent money on. My Hestras were expensive, but they are awesome.

tang
    Free Member

Footwear(includes socks), jackets and a comfortable seat on a flight. All things I’ll gladly spend on.

bigblackshed

batfink.

Wise words in these unfair times.

CountZero

qwertyuiop7 – Member
    Arc’teryx,

Srsly? Got to be shitting me. My Jottnar Fenrir jacket is every bit as good as its Arc’teryx equivalent, but is around £150 cheaper.
    Arc’teryx is ok, and has a great logo, but it’s seriously overpriced.

wilburt
    Free Member

Its ok to pay more for something when it results in more pleasure being derived directly from its function or its form. Not just becuase you want to look like a billy big balls to other humans.

You can do what you want, rub your knob with a cheese grater, talk loudly on public transport, buy a range rover evogue (or whatever), its not against the law but just makes you look like a ****.

bencooper
    Free Member

Books. You can’t have too many books.

philjunior
    Free Member

Anything you like is fine by me, even if you just have it to show off/get the glow from having ‘the best’ of its kind.

If you have to pretend it’s an investment, though, you can shove it up your bum. Unless it’s actually an investment, e.g. a pension.

JoeG
    Free Member

Nuclear weapons and submarines to launch them from! 😈 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

Trifle

LeeW

mrsfry – Member

Trifle

Another one of your (perfectly acceptable) fetishes?

Anything is allowed surely? If it floats your boat who gives two hoots if it doesn’t floats someone else’s?

stewartc
    Free Member

Fat Boy Chairs
    Kobe beef
    Bespoke Tailoring

Pickers

Cameras and lenses

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Hair shirts

Edukator
    Free Member

Stuff that is slightly more expensive because it is locally made, British made, European made (but not Swiss made because Switzerland is a financial rogue state).

Food stuff that is slightly more expensive because lower productivity resulted from better conditions for animals and less chemicals/drugs being used. Local seasonal fruit within reason.

Stuff that has a lower environmental impact (which doesn’t always mean lower carbon footprint).

Stuff that is healthier, for example recycled polyester or hemp insulation is more expensive than glass fibre but they are healthier to work with. A petrol car even if it has a marginally higher CO2 rating.

Stuff from companies with better corporate ethics. No Nestlé (they’re Swiss anyhow), no mains gas connection, no Apple (but lots of locally grown apples)

julians
    Free Member

Boats, youre allowed to spend whatever you like on boats.

Edit: as long as its not an American boat

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘So, what expensive stuff IS acceptable?’ is closed to new replies.