• This topic has 40 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • So what cultural highlights in Hull?
  • 40mpg

So between sitting in the hospital didnt get much time for anything else, we were staying up that end anyway so didnt get the chance to sample the delights of Hull centre.

Did pop up to Beverley for a wander Saturday morning though which was nice.

Now, two things struck me as particularly odd about our visit:

1. The hospital was huge, and DESERTED. Big empty car parks. Big empty wards. Miles of corridors and not a person around. Shutters down on reception desks. Nowhere to get a coffee except a tiny cafe the other side of the campus. Really spooky wandering around as corridor lights flicked on in front of you and switched off behind! Hotel was similar, large, very quiet, great service and food, but desperately needed a facelift about 10 years ago giving that unused, surprised-to-see-someone feeling. Strange.

2. Language difficulties. Them not me, I could understand fine. OK, I’m from Hampshire, probably have a bit of ‘ampshire drawl, but its never been an issue before. Stroll into (the one manned ward in) the hospital, can we see Mr Bath please? – blank looks. I point – look, there on your list. Oh, you mean B’ath, not Baarth. Yes, well, I guess! Same in restaurant ordering food / drink, shops etc. I felt like an alien! (Mind you everyone was super friendly, never had so many strangers say hello!)

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So what cultural highlights in Hull?’ is closed to new replies.