• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by NS.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • so.. what are the(not too expensive) go to tyres currently?
  • ac505
    Free Member

Morning. Looking to replace the tyres on my sons bike, currently 26″ Smart Sams front and rear which don’t appear to be that great on slippery sections of the trail. Not looking to go too expensive so looking mid range around £30 ish, any suggestions appreciated.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve been out of the loop a while but I’ve always used specialized tyres. £30ish for the decent ones.

There’s a few options of tread patterns depends how gnar you want, control for lighter weight and GRid for tougher casing.

Check the specialized website some tyres are £15-16 on clearance at the moment

DezB
    Free Member

Good call Wiggles – Purgatory in 26 X 2.3 are £15! Can’t go wrong, especially on a kids bike
    here

Butcher front (£16), Pergatory rear (£15) – is a combo people go for I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to suggest that a lot of the Schwalbe budget compound tyres aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. But Purgatorys are great all round tyres.

DezB
    Free Member

Bought some spesh tyres myself, with those prices. Only problem accidentally ordered one in 27.5 when I wanted a 29er. Doh!

stumpy01

DezB

Good call Wiggles – Purgatory in 26 X 2.3 are £15! Can’t go wrong, especially on a kids bike

Unfortunately out of stock in 26 size…

brassneck

I got some Conti X Kings & Mountain Kings(other types available) off the ‘Bay in the ‘not Black Chilli’ compound and have been really impressed – touch, lasting and yet not lacking in grip. BC is clearly grippier, but these were £20 an end which seems very reasonable.

ac505
    Free Member

awesome, thanks

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The Vittoria tyres you get from Planet X are good and not too £££s

DezB
    Free Member

Unfortunately out of stock in 26 size…

Well they weren’t, but they were selling out of stuff as I was looking. Had some gloves (£6!) in my basket, by the time I checked out, they were sold out

mulacs

Latest Classified Ads

From the classifieds – these are good tyres, I run them all the year round (no affiliation btw)

Edit – not sure that link works – tyres-26×2-0-bontrager-mud-x-team-pair/ is what you’re looking for

NS
    Free Member

here

Butcher front (£16), Pergatory rear (£15) – is a combo people go for I think.

I have those 2 tyres if you want them – bought (in error) from Specialized a couple of weeks ago, still in the boxes unopened. £30 for the pair + whatever it costs to post them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘so.. what are the(not too expensive) go to tyres currently?’ is closed to new replies.