Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So what are the cheap-but-bright LED lights du jour?
  • IA

Ideally something head mounted, and with a AA battery pack, but tell me what you’ve got and i’ll see what I think.

Happy with not that much light if it’s cheap and less faffy. Used to run a fenix AA torch on head and bars, including for some racing, and that did me fine. I liked the no wires + simple lockblock mounting.

robsoctane
    Free Member

try a cree torch off eBay. I got a 300 lumen one for 6 quid then taped it to my helmet – it fits really well in the central top groove. Does me fine, waterproof, self contained, light, cheap & bright enough for 6 quid. 3 x AAA by the way.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Rob don’t happen to have a link do you for the £6 one?

IA

Bump for the morning just-got-to-work-coffee-and-stw crowd..

footflaps

Cree double AA torch thing from http://www.dealextreme.com – 200 lumens

Would post my model but can’t find it amongst the 100s they have available!

IA

Ah but the thing is which one? I have an ultrafire 606, but it’s not great as it’s a bit heavy compared to my (dead) fenix L2d and I like having the low modes too.

Got a specific recommendation?

footflaps

ah just edit my previous post to say I couldn’t find mine – too many to look through

footflaps

it also runs on a tiny Li-ion cell making the whole thing weigh nothing 🙂

IA

Ah, I have an older one of those, found it a bit heavy though (with 2*AA). What sort of battery life you getting out the CR2?

footflaps

I carry it as a backup light in my camelback, never used it in anger (yet)….

IA

Well, if you’ve rechargable CR2s, care to try it out for a burn time test?

Though don’t leave it on indoors, might overheat.

swoosh
    Free Member

I was thinking about this the other night while wearing my helmet light for the first time for a while.

I currently have a Tesco 3w torch in a Joystick mount which works great but its quite heavy so was thinking about getting something that would be lighter (and if possible brighter, but that might be being fussy).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So what are the cheap-but-bright LED lights du jour?’ is closed to new replies.