• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So we just got an Amazon dot
  • inigomontoya
    Free Member

Can anyone on here recommend any of the “skills”, and surely there is a better way to access podcasts? The only method I’ve found so far is to use my phone to stream it, seems to be missing the point!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

So have I.

It’s very clever, even though I don’t know what it’s for.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I’ve put it in the kitchen, so far it’s been useful as a timer and for adding things to ever note for shopping list

jimdubleyou

National rail /tube

It now connects with IFTTT so you can pretty much get it to do anything else that is connected.
    “Alexa, trigger Christmas” switches on the tree lights through a smart switch

It should just recognise the podcast title and get it from tunein.

“Alexa, play Kermode and Mayo film review ”

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Might have just been Christmas day glitches but couldn’t get any of my normal podcasts to work eg now show, more or less

spawnofyorkshire

You need to be quite precise sometime to launch stuff. So to get the now show you need to ask for ‘play Friday night comedy from BBC radio 4 podcast on tunein” to have a chance.

I just stream from my phone

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Total surprise from my better half and I love it!

Quite like the fact that if you’re just going to be in the kitchen for 10 mins you can start a song for a quick fix just by saying a few words. What’s not to love!

Timers for xmas dinner was useful too.

Will stream a few Internet radio stns but can’t think of much more I’ll use it for.

dknwhy

Mine works well with Spotify. Have connected it to our Bluetooth soundbar (app first). “alexa connect to speaker”.
    Set your default music player in the app first too so it’ll always play from your chosen player. “alexa play xx xx soundtrack”.
    Also have connected it to Google calendar. “alexa what’s in my calendar today?”
    If you have hive heating, it’ll connect with it.
    Next on my purchase list are lifx bulbs.

steveoath
    Free Member

My 3yr old won’t go into the same room as ours. It’s now in the box… The dot not the daughter.

The national rail “skill” is handy. And I like the sports and new headlines.

johnnystorm

Open the magic door….

nuke

Another here. Getting it to do jokes has been popular and asking her to sing a song…its my daughters new bestfriend apparently 🙄

I just want to get Absolute 00s playing but shes struggling at that, even with the Radioplayer skill enabled

We have Prime so get Prime Music: asking to play songs from a specific band has been good

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazon prime music 98% of the time.

Our kids love it, but they mostly just ‘like’ certain songs, usually ones we hate, so it’s buggered up our preferences completely.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I got a Google Home last month, the 5 year old grandson loves it, the wife hates it. Works really well with Chromecasts, and IFTTT is great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So we just got an Amazon dot’ is closed to new replies.