Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • So very very good, yet so cheap!!
  • ton

how do thet do it??

cloudnine
    Free Member

where from?

cp

Crane = Aldi

Sui
    Free Member

what he /\ said

D0NK

shhhh dont tell everyone

patriotpro
    Free Member

how much?

scotroutes

Buy employing cheap labour working in appalling conditions for a pittance of a wage?

ton

£4.99

soma_rich
    Free Member

Is it Aldi sock day already? Or did you buy these a while ago?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Buy

By

scotroutes

chapaking – lighten up a bit laddie. Are you an Aldi branch manager or something?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I was too slow the last time they had these in and they only had small and medium left, I need large. 🙁

The current 2 year old pair will have to soldier on a bit longer…

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry that was uncalled for.

Do you have any inside info on the labour practices of their suppliers though?

I’d really like to see a law requiring certification of working standards for goods to be sold within the EU. Well, it’d be good to see that worldwide, but ut’s the sort of legislation Europe could realistically achieve.

In the meantime it irks me a bit that most people only question the labour practices of cheap retailers.

Northwind

I’ve got a couple of pairs, tbh I find them to be reasonable value for money but no more than that.

scotroutes – Member

Buy employing cheap labour working in appalling conditions for a pittance of a wage?

Course, all those £40 mtb gloves are made by artisan glovemakers in beautiful rustic environs.

scotroutes

Obviously. Probably supplied with real coffee and lovely bread on their extensive, and frequent, breaks.

eskay

I bought a pair for each of my kids and was so impressed with them I bought a pair for myself.

ton

who gives a freck how much the folk who make em get paid.
    all i care is that they are cheap and very warm…….. 🙂

will
    Free Member

Agreed, for the money i’d suggest you can’t get better.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Of course the advantage of these being made by children in sweatshops is…
    Their eyes are still good so they can see to stitch properly and they get beaten if they do a bad job, so you know the quality will be top! 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheap products in not all economies are equal shocker.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rip off design, non licensed materials, zero warranty, slave labour

it’s easy really

legend
    Free Member

ton – Member
    who gives a freck how much the folk who make em get paid.
    all i care is that they are cheap and very warm……..

Given that it’s pretty mild outside, that’s not really much to write home about

Jamie
    Free Member

it’s easy really

Warm as well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

rip off design, non licensed materials, zero warranty, slave labour
    it’s easy really

Which design have they ripped off? I have lots of winter gloves, some from niche ethically sourced glove makers, none are as warm as the aldi one.

Let me know so I can buy a pair and continue to sleep soundly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@Garm_M it’s just one of the ways of making things cheaper, skip key/expensive parts of the process like design, paying for some of the materials, maybe checking the lining is actually approved for use in gloves/with people but I suppose it’s fine. I hope everyone here is ready for an economy based on producing cheap rip offs 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

So you’re saying Aldi make rip off products but don’t know what design they have ripped off?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    So you’re saying Aldi make rip off products but don’t know what design they have ripped off?

I’m not suggesting Aldi make anything, they are a buyer of commodities and distribution network. The people who make them may have questionable ethics.

If the makers of the gloves were convinced they had a perfect glove that was a market beater why are they selling them cheap in aldi when they could command 10x the price? I’m guessing they are just nice people.

Jamie
    Free Member

I suppose it’s fine. I hope everyone here is ready for an economy based on producing cheap rip offs

I think Mike works for a glove manufacturer.

….and Android at weekends 8)

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i thought they sold the stuff in the middle at cost/loss leader to get people in the store, who then become regular customers. worked on my mates dad, he went in for some golf stuff and ended up switching from m+s to aldi for his weekly shop.
    tbh its often the high priced stuff that is sweatshop made. think nike, apple etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    I suppose it’s fine. I hope everyone here is ready for an economy based on producing cheap rip offs
    I think Mike works for a glove manufacturer.

….and Android at weekends

Cheers Jamie, I actually work for Aldi and Apple 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers Jamie, I actually work for Aldi and Apple

I bloody knew it! No-one dislikes Apple 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but seriously having a bit to do with IP and the like (selling software & training) and bike shops (mate runs one and I was working there today) there is a lot that is taking the piss these days, the great deals for consumers are great how long it lasts is another matter.

ton

seriously fella’s, how the freck can a post about cheap gloves turn into a argument? ffs really.. 🙄

Gary_M
    Free Member

So because they sell low cost items they must be rip offs, badly made and made by ickle children?

Or do they just sell stuff for what its worth?

Do you think £40 gloves are any better or any more ethical?

edit: more discussion than argument.

D0NK

Given that it’s pretty mild outside, that’s not really much to write home about

yeah was too warm for them last night (was wearing the previous gen aldi gloves) but recently been a couple of mornings where it’s been nice to have toasty hands while frost was nipping everywhere else. (mind you there’s still been blokes in lycra top and shorts so maybe I should MTFU.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ton – Member
    seriously fella’s, how the freck can a post about cheap gloves turn into a argument? ffs really..

you started with a question

how do thet do it??

some of us answered, other disagreed.

fathomer

The new design isn’t as good, I found the pads on the palm uncomfortable. The old ones I have, which are falling to pieces from two years use are ace!

D0NK

If the makers of the gloves were convinced they had a perfect glove that was a market beater why are they selling them cheap in aldi when they could command 10x the price?

hmm. How much of fox (to pick one) gloves rrp goes in to marketing?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is certainly a lot of piss taking mike – just look at the prices of MTB gloves in most LBS.

Aldi and LIDL etc are filling an important place in the market and good luck to them. I had a pair of last years winter gloves. Pretty good but usual problems of fingers coming out when you take them off. Might have a look at their stuff tomorrow. Difficult balance IMO between cheap and only ok/poor (ie bad value) or cheap and good (ie good value). But they have great deals on Kendal Mint Cake from time to time?

Jamie
    Free Member

Let’s not discount the fact, that some people just buy into that reassuringly expensive way of thinking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘So very very good, yet so cheap!!’ is closed to new replies.