So, today I got my insulin pump

Home Forum Chat Forum So, today I got my insulin pump

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • So, today I got my insulin pump
  • waveydave

Can you still go out on yer bike, thats assuming you do ride an mtb. Gonna need a bike trailer to carry that lot.

crikey

Looks like a lot of kit, but it will do a very important and relatively tricky job. Hope it all goes well, and you can set it to cope with a celebratory cake/pint!

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

Out on the MTB, my initial plan is to tuck the pump in the back of my bib shorts. Meter can go in the camelbak as usual. Rest of the gumpf stays home.

Pint already being had (well’ it’s Friday!)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Could luck! I couldn’t get on with mine but it’s supposed to be great if you can. Liking the interaction between the meter and the pump with that kit

crikey

Out on the MTB, my initial plan is to tuck the pump in the back of my bib shorts.

My top tip is to buy a pair of the Zipvit shorts; they have a big ‘radio’ pocket in the back of the shorts; handy for an mp3, even handier for an insulin pump.

fenred

One essential bit of kit missing….A pair if scissors so you can cut a little slit in all your baggies/jeans/suit pockets to thread the line thru, don’t wear it externally, particularly on the bike as the line can snag and rip your cannula out…Good luck, buckle up for a bumpy ride but stick with it and you’ll get your pump dialed in in no time!
    Wouldn’t be without mine now, life changing for me! 😉

Report back with progress!

Subscriber

Jeepers, what a load of stuff comes with it 😯

20th September 2013 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

I am now attached to the pump for the weekend to get used to it with no insulin in it, but otherwise ‘using it’ as if it was full of insulin. Back at the clinic to start using insulin on Tuesday.

’tis an awesome bit of kit, very clever and hopefully going to make things a damn sight better for me

toppers3933

whats the crack with that then? if you dont mind me asking. does it replace your injections and you wear it 24/7?

Subscriber

whats the crack with that then? if you dont mind me asking. does it replace your injections and you wear it 24/7?

Yep, that’s it!

Rather than using a long acting (basal) and a quick acting (bosal) the pump is constant drip feeding the quick acting so it mimics what should be happening in the body normally. you then do the bolas as normal (but via the pump) after food.

The handset on the pump I’ve got, does some clever sums and works out what dose you need based on the carb content of what you eat and how much insulin is still active within you, then instructs the pump to squirt it in you. This can be a straight forward ‘all in one go’ (like you’d do with a pen/syringe) or over a longer period (using those clever sums again).

Fenred -lots of experimenting to be done with positioning, but I’m sure scissors will be deployed before long!

People will accuse you of texting at romantic or important meals…. It happens…

Nice kit I’m told by people who use it. Have fun. 🙂

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Accu-Chek™ do like their packaging!

They wanted to fit my 3 year old with one of them, but we are managing a very good average on the needles.

If you don’t mind, I’ll bother you on Twitter in about a month to see what you think of it long term.

The sooner they come up with a closed loop implant or inhaler the better!

aphex_2k

Ooh interesting. Let me know how you get on with it as I’ve been considering one myself. A friend of mine has one and she loves it. So the pump does your quick acting AND long acting, or do you still do your basal at night or night/morning split? Does the pump monitor your BGL too?

Subscriber

Seeing as there’s a bit of interest, I might set up a blog

Pump doesn’t do blood testing, that’d be the ‘holy grail’ closed loop system (tests and delivers insulin according to needs). Pump mimics what would normally happen, so it’s continually giving you insulin so you don’t need a basal. You don’t do any injections, just change the cannula every few days. As Dickbarton of this parish put it to me, think of it as 1 injection every 3 days, whereas I’d normally be doing somewhere around 20ish!

I have heard that there are some implant testers being worked on and thee is some limited success where they last a month before needing to be replaced. Results are blue toothed to a reader

Also, speaking to the guy from Roche, he said there is development with 3D photography for calculating carb content of food. Tell the device your eating, say, pasta, point the device at it, press the button and it works out the carb content from the size of your dinner!!!!

At work at the moment (hence on here 8) ), so will finish up and then sort a blog out

aphex_2k

I read somewhere they were trying to develop a special ink for a tattoo that changes colour depending on your BGL. I thought that was an amazing idea but also thought of the revenue to be lost from companies not selling test strips!

Are we any further along with transplanting islet cells from a healthy pancreas and taking anti rejection drugs?

I really don’t mind jabbing every time I eat, but I do dislike the chubby bit of my belly that no matter how much excercise I do, won’t shrink the belly! I’ve even switched to smaller pen tips on advice from my docs – but I switched back as I was getting more bruising and leakage from a 5mm than the 8mm.

Over in Oz it’s much easier to get a pump. Your doc does a referral and then you go see the endocrinology team. Fortunately for me (as a nurse) I get lots of advise and input from interns and reg’s who have done stints on the medical wards and all really keen to talk about management. I’m even the go-to man with regards to diabetes for our mental health patients so get to go to the conferences and talks.

It’s such a vast specialty and I wish I knew more. Keep learning. Really interested in how you get on.

Subscriber

A blog would be great.

Subscriber

OK, a blog it is then. Bit of work to finish, then buy a shirt for the wedding I have to go to later (I’m organised I am!) and then I’ll start on it. Already got the name for it 😀

cheez0

‘Cheezey Feet’s Sweet Tweet’?

cchris2lou

My brother inlaw is type 1 and has been using a pump for ages . He has it in a bag around his waist .

He is a trail runner , 80 miles plus a week .

A lot better for him .

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

Please create a blog! I’d follow it as I’m curious… I think I’d find a pump a bit ‘invasive’.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Mrs_oab has half a wardrobe of medical bits n bobs for her condition. And every few months a nurse hands her a bag of drugs worth Waaaa more than the car we transport it home in. Amazing NHS time.

toppers3933

I find it very interesting I like to understand this sort of thing. A blog would be very interesting.

fenred

househusband – Member
    Please create a blog! I’d follow it as I’m curious… I think I’d find a pump a bit ‘invasive’.

Tbh you are always aware it’s sitting in your pocket or wherever you choose to keep it but you soon get used to it.
    A blog would be good OP and the bolus wizard/carb count function on the pumps are a great little bit of tech! You can build in your corrections/food/beer intake without having to even think about it 8)

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

One of my kid’s school friends has had one for about the last 5 years (now age 11).

He seems to do fine with it – plays on local football teams etc with no problems.

Subscriber

Right, blog started, not much in it yet, will do an update with ‘first day’ experience later today

http://inpumpwetrust.blogspot.co.uk

Subscriber

Is the monitor the “Expert” model? We have one of them but can’t use the calculator because of the time lag between testing and my daughter finishing eating. As we don’t know whether she will leave some or want more. Teh sumz iz easy though and I can eyeball the amount of carbs in a banana with almost supernatural accuracy.

Subscriber

HtS, just the normal Aviva Combo meter. the Bolus advice only works when you do a pre meal test and then enter the expected amount you’ll be eating, which I guess is fair enough. The BG test is only ‘held’ for 5 minutes for use with a Bolus advice again fair enough. I know what you mean, it would be great if you could so a test, then when you’ve finished eating, get it to work out the appropriate delivery.

Then again a closed loop true fit & forget solution would be great too!

DickBarton

Good effort my man, welcome to the new world!!! Makes a difference for the better and it’s really no hassle for riding…they seem pretty sturdy wee beasts!

Have you got your insurance sorted on it? I can’t find the link to the site, but I’m paying £6 a month for complete cover – so if you do something to the pump i.e. skelp it off a tree – it gets replaced within 24 hours…the manufacturer covers manufacturing issues but if you break it, they don’t…

Here it is – http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/

Subscriber

Got my home & contents with M&S, phoned them this morning, all covered including accidental damage, doesn’t even need to be listed as a separate item.

Having said that, I’ll look at the link you put up there

EDIT, had a read of that insurance and the recommendations from pretty much everyone, and decided to get the specific insurance. Peace of mind n all that

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

piedi di formaggio – Member

I have heard that there are some implant testers being worked on and thee is some limited success where they last a month before needing to be replaced. Results are blue toothed to a reader

I did a test for a constant meter a while back, it was external with a wee implant electrode thing but it was suspiciously very streamlined and flat, which didn’t work at all for external use but would probably be just the ticket for internal… Battery life was only 10 days though…

Hey, my toothbrush does contactless charging, does that work through skin? Bleargh, obviously, but still.

Subscriber

Five days in, 2nd day ‘live’ with insulin.

Verdict so far – it’s bleedin’ awesome 😀

Updates here http://inpumpwetrust.blogspot.co.uk

fenred

Keep on keeping on Gary, all looks good so far, good job!! 😀

DickBarton

Gid stuff…

Subscriber

Thanks chaps 🙂

Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

Pump user here too, been on mine for 5yrs now and has revolutionized my life, just stick mine in the pocket of my baggies when on the mtb or just in my trouser/jeans pocket. In 5 years have never pulled a canula out by catching the tubing and have only caught the tubing a handful of times. They are tough little bits of kit as mine has stood up to several bad offs that have resulted in several broken ribs 😳
    My email is in my profile and am happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to ask about life on a pump.

Please post a link to your blog as very interested to see how things go.

Good luck with it but as said above, some people dont get on with it just be prepared to put quite a lot of effort in and the rewards will more than justify it. Good idea to write down as much as possible when it comes to exercise, I have found some quite strange things needed with basal rates pre, during and post exercise including overnight and the following day.

Subscriber

I’m interested in the canula. How do you fit it? How long does it last? How “Euww” is it?

My daughter (4 years old in a couple of days) has probably got all of this to come at some point.

Subscriber

votchy – blog here http://inpumpwetrust.blogspot.co.uk/

HtS – the cannula. I use the Accu-Chek FlexLink, which has an inserter doodah Have a look at this page which describes it and has a comedey video of how it’s used. http://www.accu-chek.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_303_303_-1_50941_302_302_302_Products

In practice, it’s very easy – push the top down, pop the new canula in. Remove the protective sleeve around the needle and expose the adhesive. Pull the top away from the bottom – hold against skin, press the button. The actual insertion doesn’t hurt (I’ve barely felt it so far). Next press the adhesive bit down, remove the needle and cap thing, the connect tube from th epump.

Easy

Subscriber

Forgot to say – it’s not ‘Eeuw’ at all!

Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

Good work so far, blog is good to read. I am using a Medtronic pump (virtually identical to yours) and associated software, the graphs produced by the accuchek software you have look better than those by medtronic. interestingly, the professional version of the medtronic software gives much better graphical output so very easy to see trends etc, am trying to get hold of a copy as I can spend hours looking at my data and find nothing, send a download to my DSN and when she and I view the graphs the trends jump out at you straight away!!

DickBarton

I’m gutted that the Medtronic software doesn’t work with Windows 8…so I’ve got 2 months of ‘results’ waiting to get synced but not got access to a non-Windows 8 machine to get them done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘So, today I got my insulin pump’ is closed to new replies.