• This topic has 66 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • So this woman’s in the supermarket, with a kid…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In front of me & the Mrs at the ’10 items or less’ checkout. This woman puts a banana skin on the conveyor & says. ‘oh, he’s had a banana as well’.

Cos she doesn’t know that bananas are sold by weight & not by ‘per banana’.

So if you fancy a free banana from Morrisons, eat one on the way round while your’e shopping & chuck the skin on the conveyor!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lots of supermarkets offer free fruit to kids, Tesco certainly, maybe Morrison’s too, maybe that?

psling
    Free Member

OK, she may be a bit thick but she’s honest and encouraging her kid to eat fruit and not sweets/crisps. Two out of three ain’t bad.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My kids do this a lot, but usually out of a packaged bag of fruit, not loose stuff. Not much loose stuff in Aldi, before I’m blamed for the plastic in the sea.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not much loose stuff in Aldi, before I’m blamed for the plastic in the sea.

I think they came bottom in a recent list of eco credentials for supermarkets so you are killing baby robins by even going there.

As for the op, I’d be fuming.10 items or less?! Although I suppose a mostly eaten banana is less than a whole one.

ransos
    Free Member

As for the op, I’d be <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>fuming.10</span> items or less?!

Often quoted by pendants, but it’s not wrong.

sheeps

I used to keep the twins quiet feeding them grapes round Morrisons… Always from a pre-packed/ priced box, always put the empty box on the till. It was a lottery whether I got charged!

jekkyl

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I thought they’d done away with 10 item or less tills in favour of self service?

chestrockwell

Both the Tesco and Morrisons in Skipton offer free fruit so jobs a good ‘un. Number 2 knows where they are and shouts nana repeatedly until she is provided with one.

lesgrandepotato

Child eats fruit. That’s a bad thing? Next time stick a quid in the charity box to cover it if it worries you.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Child eats fruit. That’s a bad thing? Next time stick a quid in the charity box to cover it if it worries you.

Doesn’t ‘worry’ me in the least pal, but maybe the Ma shouldv’e stuck a quid in the charidee box? Maybe I’ll help myself to a few loose olives next time I’m round there but take an empty carton & say ‘here, weigh this, I’ve had a few olives on my way round the shop’

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Waitrose get it right.

ransos
    Free Member

Waitrose get it right.

Not really. There are plenty of examples of “less” being used with count nouns.

cheers_drive

Not much loose stuff in Aldi, before I’m blamed for the plastic in the sea.

Agree it is the only bad thing about Aldi. However they have starting selling some fruit and veg loose and it’s per item not weight so that would the OPs example

feed

Maybe I’ll help myself to a few loose olives next time I’m round there but take an empty carton & say ‘here, weigh this, I’ve had a few olives on my way round the shop

Think bigger, wine glasses, cork screw, few bottles of vino, set up a table in an aisle, make the whole shopping experience more enjoyable, as long as it’s an empty container when you reach the till it’s all good 🙂

psling
    Free Member

Waitrose get it right.

Yeah, but your average Morrisons customer isn’t going to understand that…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is Britain the only country on Earth with a class based Supermarket hiarcy?  🙄

**** “average Morrison’s customer” – they’re like the Everyman supermarket of choice, now ASDA, that’s a muppets paradise.

bsims
    Free Member

I have never set foot in a Waitrose. Now I’ve said that I am going to try to never do so.

On topic, hasn’t this always happened, although in the 80s my mum let me eat kit kits kats and other chocolate ( yeah, I know you don’t buy them by the pound).  I think the till opporater can enter items of fruit individually without weight if needed.

tomhoward

I have never set foot in a Waitrose. Now I’ve said that I am going to try to never do so.

*swoon*

but, err, why?

bsims
    Free Member

I have never lived near one until  they opened a new supermarket in town and I see no reason to go there over Asda and Morrison’s.

I will try not to venture in as I have nothing better to do, having made it half way (hopefully).

sirromj

Should have

Onzadog
    Free Member

I must be old. When I was a child, people didn’t consume things before they’d actually paid for them and children were behaved in supermarkets through discipline rather than bribery or pacification.

CountZero

Yeah, but your average Morrisons customer isn’t going to give a shit about that…

FTFY.

scotroutes

I must be old

You can’t be that old. When I was a child we didn’t have supermarkets.

funkmasterp

This is how it starts. Next the child will be shoplifting, then it’ll be stealing other children’s faces. Never happened in my day blah, blah, something about the fall of society mumble mumble.

markrh
    Free Member

Is that Waitrose calendar for real?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Just been caught by MrsH googling that calendar 😋

kerley
    Free Member

I have never set foot in a Waitrose.

You are missing out.  They sell a lot of better quality items where quality counts, i.e. balsamic vinegar.

The really good thing about Waitrose is that whatever time you go there are about 10% the number of people in there than one of the major supermarkets.

docgeoffyjones

Ma shouldv’e stuck a quid in the charidee box?

OP to out of touch to even know what a banana costs shocker!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The really good thing about Waitrose is that whatever time you go there are about 10% the number of people in there than one of the major supermarkets.

Yea, but I can never shake the feeling that its like a cut price version of Booths.

It must be how Tesco shoppers feel when they accidentally end up in Morrison’s.

timba
    Free Member

The sign is just missing a word, “10 items more or less”

submarined
    Free Member

Just so you know, people who eat/feed their kids food in the supermarket that they haven’t paid for are thieves 🙂

And before you throw in the ‘restaurant’ model. I’ll point out it’s not a restaurant, it’s a shop. When I’m ruler of the world the punishment would be worst than if they’d just walked out of the shop with it.

matt_outandabout

Yea, but I can never shake the feeling that its like a cut price version of Booths

Pmsl.

Or that farm shop of a motorway services at Shap…

avdave2

I assume the op must have been out shopping for a life. Let’s hope he found one.

ads678

The fact that he’s posting about this on the internet makes me think he’s still looking….

Flaperon

I have never set foot in a Waitrose.

Everyone knows that Waitrose is only there to keep the riff-raff out of M&S.

funkmasterp

When I’m ruler of the world the punishment would be worst than if they’d just walked out of the shop with it.

If if I rule before you I’ll be ‘taking care of’ those who use worst instead of worse and would instead of will😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So this woman’s in the supermarket, with a kid…’ is closed to new replies.