Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • So this video makes me REALLY want a Cannondale Slate
  • spacemonkey

This is the kind of steed you need to mash some off-road gnar max into your roadie adventures …

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJW42D6cgU[/video]

Or is it? Surely it’s a compromise between one’s HT and road beast (as others have said on previous Slate threads within this parish)?

But I absolutely want one. With looks to die for and that outlandish – if overly indulgent – 30mm of fork, it’s a must have. Or is it?

Loads of reviews have me sold on one. But even at silly reduced prices, I think it offers more in looks than it does in versatility.

I just want to look at it. Nnggghrghh.

zilog6128

Yeah, I really want one too just because they look so rad. I don’t think I have the skillz/confidence to properly blast it off road on the hoods/drops, even with the suspension, so I’ve resisted thus far. Would love a test ride on one though!

trailwagger
    Free Member

I just want to look at it. Nnggghrghh.

Looks horrible, id rather ride it.

rOcKeTdOg

shame CSG aren’t bringing them in this year

Trimix
    Free Member

Real life never ends up like a marketing YouTube advert.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Yours for £1499 ex demo:

or £1350 new at start fitness

DezB
    Free Member

^^ Sneaky edit 🙂

The one in the video. Print it out and put it on your bedroom wall.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-slate-ultegra-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV254011

AlexSimon

or £1500 new at start fitness

I can’t find that one. Just the green one.

AlexSimon

Oh and I don’t think they are bringing the 2018 model to the UK, so no point in waiting.

spacemonkey

Can’t disagree with many of the sentiments above. Hence the quandary.

The Start Fitness one is available in M.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

flat bars are still better offroad, sorry.

spacemonkey

And the ex-demo sold not long ago 🙁

slimjim78
    Free Member

As demonstrated above – It’ll be some riders ‘go to’ bike, whilst others can’t bare the thought of such compromises.
    I recently hedged my bets and picked up a 105 version for (IMO) a ridiculously low price as I too was completely suckered in by the looks and marketing. Early days, but after having changed the high gearing for something more suitable im finding it an extremely comfortable bike, that covers 80% of my riding needs.
    Makes more sense if you have plenty of typical gravel type routes nearby, but also transitions superbly from roads/curb hopping to tow paths.
    The Lefty Oliver is really good – im glad I waited for a lefty model to come up at the right price rather than plumping for a rigid model (although I like the idea of the rigid model for pure commuting).

The 2018 orange model makes me tingle all over. Worth importing in my eyes.

DezB
    Free Member

flat bars are still better offroad, sorry.

So they should’ve made em with special bars that could be converted between flat and drops via a switch?

ferrals
    Free Member

I ride my cx bike a lot in te sort of trails in video, it works admirably well, but the clattering of rims on rocks and roots at the low pressures needs is pretty horrible. Thats the bigest limitation in my book. Does the 30mm of travel really make that much difernece to that aspect?

spacemonkey

The fork is said to perform admirably for bumps but not for holes (as it can’t extend).

I imagine the tyres, seeing as they’re 650b flavour, will soak up most of the vibration.

spacemonkey

Speaking of the fork, I reckon that’s where a lot of the cost is hidden. So I’d like to think other, ultimately more capable 650b gravel bikes are out there for good money. Just haven’t found one yet (and I’m not talking Mason or Wye for example).

slimjim78
    Free Member

I imagine the tyres will soak up most of the vibration.

Yeah, 47mm Horizons soak up a lot of the worst

jonnyboi

It’s a pretty damned awesome bike, but as an owner I’m biased. If I’m looking fun over speed I’ll ride in on local trails rather than my full suss. The lefty Oliver does a surprising amount of work as you can see in the vid.

Best upgrades are a smaller front chainring, bashguard for the lefty, better tyres, or even spare wheels.

slimjim78
    Free Member

where did you source the bashguard jonnyboi?

spacemonkey

How do you find it on the road jonnyboi? I believe the CX has friendlier gearing so can understand changing the front ring.

jonnyboi

@slimjim use the lefty hybrid guard. Part no kh099 from qwerty cycles.

@spacemonkey it’s like like riding a CX or gravel bike. Just like a road bike but a but slower although more grip. It’s a relaxed riding position too

molgrips
    Free Member

Nah. Would much rather have a Cutthroat.

Klunk
    Free Member

i got as far as the wheelie, obviously not for me.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have one.
    I bought it from Wheelbase in Staveley when they were dirt cheap. But a couple of things. At 5’10 ( inside leg of 32) I am normally a medium, but when I tested the medium it felt really cramped so I got the large. It fits great. Mine is the 105 with the Oliver Lefty. I swapped the wheels for Hope XC, on the rear. Using a muckynuts fender on the back to keep off the worst crud.
    The stock tyres are great on the road but nothing more.
    I use mine on lanes and bridleways.
    One more thing, they are just brilliant bikes. 🙂

Garry_Lager

ferrals – Member

I ride my cx bike a lot in te sort of trails in video, it works admirably well, but the clattering of rims on rocks and roots at the low pressures needs is pretty horrible. Thats the bigest limitation in my book. Does the 30mm of travel really make that much difernece to that aspect? Definitely think tyre pressure is the most noticeable issue with lashing the CX bike up hill and down dale, 33s don’t really offer much of a goldilocks zone. You’re either nice and grippy though the woods, but squirming on the harder surfaces [often the majority of the ride], or vice versa where you’re nervous on the fun stuff because the tyre is too hard. And then rocky trails are another story again.
    So I quite fancy a slate in principle as the bigger tyres and micro-suspension could cover all of this, but it just seems to be aiming for a really small target. There doesn’t seem to be much space between I think I’ll ride the CAADX (tubeless) and nah I’ll take the anthem.

aP
    Free Member

Salsa Cutthroat isn’t the same kind of bike at all. The restrictions on tyre sizes on the Slate put me off for a start (I ride regularly with someone with one).

jonnyboi

Yeah, room for 47c would be great, I think they missed a trick there.
    That said, the manufacturers are getting on board with 42c tyre choice

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

my mate has the £3k 1×11 sram version, paid £1800 start of last year, its got schwalbe g-ones and runs tubeless, a very capable bike and fast.

if i hadnt got the spec diverge id be tempted

molgrips
    Free Member

Salsa Cutthroat isn’t the same kind of bike at all.

Not at all? Seems similar to me.

postierich
    Free Member

Great bikes
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/22RnMKm]25660076_10156095966666474_5471220936729838612_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

jonnyboi

Not at all? Seems similar to me

It is lovely, but its a full carbon with 29er wheels for a start

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I got one from Start Fitness last year. They were excellent to deal with and the bike feels great to ride (moved from a Warbird) The stock tyres have zero puncture protection (prob manufactured from a throbbing Gnats foreskin).

molgrips
    Free Member

It is lovely, but its a full carbon with 29er wheels for a start

Would you not be doing basically the same thing with it though?

matt_outandabout

Does it come without the shit music?

jonnyboi

Would you not be doing basically the same thing with it

Given that one is specifically designed for ultra distance bike packing, and the other is designed as a jack of all trades fun bike. They will meet in the Venn diagram at some point I expect.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Cutthroat is a completely different beast, the Slate has a more road biased geometry, the Cutty is a revised 29er to accommodate the dropped bar (58cm tt on a large).

The Slate is a riot to ride and great fun, but suffers from pedal strike on rocky/rooty terrain, the Cutty will take 2.4 inch tyres and is more than capable on singletrack as it is on crossing continents. I use my Slate for mixed road/offroad rides and gravel enduros, the Cutty for the long haul.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘So this video makes me REALLY want a Cannondale Slate’ is closed to new replies.