Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • So – this proposing to marry someone thing – advice?
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

All the best. Someone always said you have to go down on one knee….. If anything be careful how you set yourself up. Set the bar too high and then you’ve set the expectations for life to come!!! I am evidently always failing these days. Though I think (probably get flamed) women no matter what they say always like to be spoilt and pampered.

Was in LA when I bought the engagement ring. However, credit card company calls home back in Vancouver, my wife (gf back then) picks up. She says how can I help, they say we would like to speak to me. She says he is traveling and in LA, CC company say they have a big expense on the CC for XXXX amount. She says ‘oh’ and proceeds to ask them for more details concerned about the expense and they proceed to tell her where at!!! 😯 😯 Phone banking back in Canada wasn’t as strict as it is here.

She didn’t tell me until much later after I had proposed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I proposed to my wife on a golf course*.
    I went down on one knee to mark my ball on

You know that thing where you read a sentence with some words from the line below?

theotherjonv

I had a plan to propose to my wife in Edinburgh. I had a half bottle of Champagne in an ice sleeve in my rucksack, we’d walked around all day and the plan was to go up Arthurs Seat to look at the town as dusk fell and all the lights came on. And ask there.

But when i suggested it, my the girfriend’s words were ‘**** off, I’ve walked all day and my feet are **** killing me’

So we went to a pub instead, and the moment was lost.

I proposed the next morning in a Travelodge in Leith, and we toasted ourselves with champagne that had got warm overnight. She also told me to get up and stop being a **** when i tried to kneel down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ransos
    Free Member

Have you ask her old man for her hand ? …. I think this is a lovely touch myself

Opinions may very – I’m not too keen on the idea of women as chattels.

madhouse

Not sure where you are but if it’s close(ish) then the jewellery quarter in Birmingham is good value for rings and loads of choice.

Mrs M’s response to me asking was ‘of course I will you doughnut’ ……. such a romantic 😆

funkmasterp

I hid a ring in a Christmas cracker, when we pulled the cracker and it fell out I got down on one knee and proposed in front of Mrs F’s whole family. Very cheesy, but she loved it. Took us twelve years to actually get married though.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you’ve already talked about it in open terms and are starting to arrange the invites then what is the proposal for?

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a nice little tradition, people like it. What’s the Harm.

Ps: nobody who does this actually thinks of women as “chattels” either. Hope that helps.

what is the proposal for?

See above. Nice tradition, people like it.

zanelad
    Free Member

Can’t help much as Mrs Z says that I never actually asked her to marry me.

Seems odd that we both popped into the registry office one Saturday morning.

epicyclo

Needs more imagination.

Get down on your knees, both.
    Start some cunning linguistics.
    When she starts screaming “Yes! Yes!” hand her the ring.
    (She’ll be clutching your ears, so make sure you don’t get scratched)

Best not to do this in front of her parents…

PiknMix
    Free Member

Just do it when it feels right, you both might be doing something random together, but it feels right.

Good luck. Love is one of the best things in the world.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Jeebus you lot. What are you like!

I keep telling my partner of nearly 30 years that we should get married as she will get a better slice of my pension when I’m dead.

She keeps telling me to f-off and she doesn’t want to get married.

Neither do I for that matter.

But my pension rules say that if we are married she will get half when I die, a quarter if we aren’t married.

One knee, ask dads permission, romance…….FFS!

BigJohn

We never got engaged. We just decided that after 6 years it would probably be best to be married.
    That was in 1975. Still going well. Still doing everything we were doing then. Except smoking.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stag!Stag!Stag!Stag!

Where’re we going? Core sorting it out?

pondo

Ask her dad for permission, make sure you pop the question at the end of the break, not the start, pick somewhere with a view, go down on one knee. Simples. 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Went to Edinburgh only because I had a load of Sheraton hotel points from working away so free hotel, went to Ducks restaurant and was that nervous that I waited till everyone had left and the waiters were wanting to go home, got down on one knee and really made a hash of it I was that nervous! Mrs RNP made me sit back down, compose myself and ask her again. Properly.

And so began married life!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think there’s a lot to be said for not stressing this too much. Because you’re almost always these days “proposing” to someone you’ve known for ages, have had quite a bit of intercourse with and is likely thinking it’s about time you got round to it, there’s this tendency to make it into a massive Instagram-able moment, and then you’ve got to do it all over again with the wedding (which is at least a slightly big deal).

As long as it looks like it isn’t a totally spur-of-the-moment thing and you’re serious, then if she’s happy about it it will be quite a happy occasion. 🙂

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

[/i]It’s a nice little tradition, people like it. What’s the Harm

I’ve always found it a bit strange we still give women away as if they’re objects owned by the males. Bit caveman isn’t it?

theotherjonv

I didn’t see it as giving someone away, rather asking her Father (or should that be parents nowadays) if they would consider you suitable for their daughter.

of course, it creates an issue if they don’t but in those instances i suspect you would have an idea not to ask anyway

following on from my edinburgh proposal, i took my future / prospective FiL a bottle of whisky back and asked if he’d consider swapping his permission to marry his daughter for it. Nearly broke my arm the speed at which that transaction was concluded.

If tradition isn’t important any more, can i vote we do away with ‘the giving and receiving of rings’? Expensive, annoying, prone to getting lost……

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have just seen this, which is a killer line if you and your girlfriend are Cactaceae.

😀

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I like that. Might well use it. She spent a few years in Mexico. Already planning to nick Cougar’s (I think) Rick Astley vows…

Not going to ask her dad, that would annoy her, or her kids ( who will be ok with it – their dad is remarrying soon) but will give mine a heads up, already mentioned it to them. Haven’t told my 21 year old I want him to be best man yet! And he will be in Prague next year so stag location sorted… 🙂

The cheapo fake ring has arrived – just need to work out a location now. Plaza de Colon would make a good story… 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The Cacti/Cactus thing, doesn’t really work does it ?

It’s saying you are ready to stop being plural (together)
    And start being singular (alone)

I know it’s a bit pedantic, but, you know. Standards etc 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

hmmm… true… and she’d spot that too

wiggles
    Free Member

Plaza de Colon would make a good story…

Please please do this

“Well I took her up the plaza De colon and seemed like a good time to pop the question”

grenosteve
    Free Member

I took my Mrs for a meal to the pub where we had a our first date, then the pub we had our second date.

Planned to ask her at the first one, but bottled it, so second pub was plan b, bottled that too.

Leaving pub b, I noticed the Big wheel thing that was in the centre of Sheffield at the time, though about getting the Champaign VIP room as plan c, but bottled that too.

So just waited until we got home, just said I wanted to ask her something, we both sat down on the sofa and I got the ring out of my pocket and asked. Simples but boring! 😀 She was over the moon.

I just couldn’t bring myself to the down on one knee thing in public, she probably wouldn’t have liked it either to be honest.

DezB
    Free Member

Rick Astley vows…

This is just sick. I don’t know what they are, but I do not approve. Unless, of course the wedding cake is to be made of pure cheeeese.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a nice little tradition, people like it. What’s the Harm.

Ps: nobody who does this actually thinks of women as “chattels” either. Hope that helps.

As I said, opinions vary. My FiL was adamant that he wasn’t giving his daughter away (“she is not a possession” were his words).

mudshark
    Free Member

Last time I went shopping with my wife was ring choosing in Hatten Garden – the pub lunch break was OK.

I did the dead in Picadilly Circus by that Anteros statue – bleugh….

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Have you ask her old man for her hand ? …. I think this is a lovely touch myself

This^

My Fiancee’s old man (whom I have met once for all of a few hours) banged on about “waiting for him to phone and ask”. She told him he may have to wait a long time.

Pick somewhere with a nice view/aspect. I did it in the car ’cause it was pouring with rain in Sma’ Glen and then renacted it at the Scott Monny Edinburgh when the ring came through. I knew I would have to let her choose her own.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Popped the question on the roof terrace bar of the Circolo de bellas artes.

She said yes. 🙂

I may have made a rookie error by getting a fake ring which looks like it has a really big ruby. Poor expectation management 🙁 Jewellers going to ream me this coming weekend. Hey ho!

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘So – this proposing to marry someone thing – advice?’ is closed to new replies.