Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • So – this proposing to marry someone thing – advice?
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

First time round, ex proposed (29th February and all that) last time, now amicably divorced a while back.

Now it is my turn with my partner – been together 2 1/2 years – talked in fairly open terms about it – she even has a list of who she would invite to the wedding on her phone – she would deffo want to choose her own ring, so got a cheapo fake one on the way from amazon today – and will be spending the weekend in Madrid with her…

Suggestions/dos/dont’s appreciated. A bit scared tbh 😯

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… she even has a list of who she would invite to the wedding on her phone

A bit scared tbh

Seems like you’ve got it covered. 🙂

MSP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wiggles
    Free Member

If she’s called Louise… Run!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Is her name Louise ?

Damn

perchypanther
    Free Member

A bit scared tbh

If you’re scared of saying something nice to her are you sure that getting married to her is a good idea? 😉

I proposed to my wife on a golf course*.
    I went down on one knee to mark my ball on the green and she got the wrong idea.
    I just went with it as she was beating me by four holes at the time.

*This bit is true.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Suggestions/dos/dont’s appreciated

Don’t.

ninfan
    Free Member

Madrid eh?

You could offer to take her up the Plaza de Colón

Drac

Don’t.

brassneck

I went full on – bought the ring (now that hurt), romantic location whilst on a bike tour, down on one knee etc. etc. – she nearly had a heart attack.

We had been together for 13 years though, so I was pretty sure she’d say yes .. and the jeweller said ‘if she doesn’t like it we’ll work something out’.

I suspect the something was one of my kidneys.

scaredypants

You could offer to take her up the Plaza de Colón

😀

maccruiskeen

Trying to remember the name of the british scientist who was driving to a dinner party with the woman who’d later be his wife and said to her

“Just so you know – we’re engaged”

jambalaya
    Free Member

Congratulations 🙂

Go the whole hog … find a nice location, memorable, think of some very nice things to say about the life you want together and being happy you have found her – never want to let her go etc …

As above down on one knee

I did all of the above second time round. There was no element of surprise as plan was to ask at top of Rockerfeller Center and on first attempt agter a very nice dinner I was told tickets where all sold out for that day and to come back tomorrow – we had a very good laugh with the ticket sellers about this not being “part of the plan”

BTW wife to be choosing the ring is perfect !! Just fyi you can tell shop budget (in advance) and they will show rings to that plus you can negotiate the price. You can save a lot buying the stone from a wholesaler, settings are relatively cheap.

bruneep

or do as I did, last orders called in pub asked if she fancied another drink or wanted to get married. Typical woman wanted both, 28yrs married now

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It doesnt count useless you get a dusty patch on a knee.

And

Have you ask her old man for her hand ? …. I think this is a lovely touch myself

Good luck

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Oh … and be prepare once you’ve asked her to then not speak to her for the next half hour !!

She be on the phone to her mum and best pal.

footflaps

It doesnt count useless you get a dusty patch on a knee.

I was in ski boots, couldn’t kneel down that far…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

ninfan 😆 – sounds like a plan… but would she say yes if I took her there with no warning… 😉

Ro5ey with my knees , I might not get up again…

jambalaya 🙂 was at the top of the rock 2 weeks ago but on a stag do.

Of course – it’s going to rain this weekend in Madrid…

maccruiskeen

Be careful about where you put the emphasis in the sentence “Will you do me the honour of being my second wife”. You don’t want it to look like a best-of-three scenario. 🙂

bodgy
    Free Member

Just go large on the romance: Harbourside restaurant, candlelight, great food and wine . . . winner.

Novelty proposals (scuba diving etc) are a bit naff.

Have you ask her old man for her hand ?

I did this with Mrs B’s father, over Sunday lunch in a country pub. Frankly, he was a bit too keen.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Be careful about where you put the emphasis in the sentence “Will you do me the honour of being my second wife”. You don’t want it to look like a best-of-three scenario.

I always introduce her to people as “my first wife”

Keeps her on her toes.

Klunk
    Free Member

I went with nag them till they said yes, there’s only so many times a person can say no.

footflaps

Have you ask her old man for her hand ?

I hadn’t. She made me phone him on the spot and check it was ok…..

nealglover
    Free Member

Novelty proposals (scuba diving etc) are a bit naff.

😆

I was proposed to in a fake restaurant in London, surrounded by People I thought were out for dinner but were actually “extras”

How that for novelty 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Talking of second wives and Ski boots

I got married to my 1st on top of a mountain in the snow…. it went down hill from there….

Boom tish … a bad joke and looking back it was. We were both very young.

Still I had a really good morning boarding waiting for her that day.

brassneck

I hadn’t. She made me phone him on the spot and check it was ok…..

I said ‘I guess I’d better ask your Dad’

She said ‘WTF has it got to do with him?’

So I didn’t as such (we told her parents together when we got back).
    And a valuable lesson in marital harmony was learnt.

bodgy
    Free Member

I was proposed to in a fake restaurant

Wow. 😯 I’m actually slightly lost for words. 😉

brassneck

Crack on btw OP, we’re on tenterhooks here

ninfan
    Free Member

ninfan – sounds like a plan… but would she say yes if I took her there with no warning…

I think I would go for the “don’t tell her what it’s called, just propose by the beautiful waterfalls and statue in the beautiful city of Madrid”, and take lots of photos

Then plead ignorance – securing it as a fantastic dinner party conversation for decades to come 😀

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

nealglover bloody hell. respect… or were they enforcers to make sure you said the right thing?!

Drac

Just change your facebook status.

breninbeener

Remember the key principles of a wedding….

Aisle

Altar

Hymn

nealglover
    Free Member

Wow. I’m actually slightly lost for words.

So was I !

martinhutch

Nealglover getting ready for a big night out…

nealglover
    Free Member

😛 not far from the truth (at least for that one weekend)

I presume, after the “reveal” everything since has been real 😯

scud
    Free Member

I proposed to Mrs Scud in a little italian restaurant next to Central Park on one knee, the whole thing was slightly marred by the “Worlds Campest Waiter TM) for some reason going absolutely batshit and waiving his arms around like he was trying to land aircraft on the flight deck and bursting into tears, he then proceeded to bring my wife flowers and pretty much sat at our table, so after she’d said yes, we barely got to say anything to each other for the next hour… i think he was angling for an invite to the wedding to.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I asked Mrs officer’s parents their consent. I think they were more surprised than she was!

colp

Go for a nice meal, then pop the question just as the starters arrive. She’ll run off to ring her mum, and you can eat both starters.
    Worked for me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Check the classifeids for anyone selling some decent running shoes.
    Buy them.
    Use them….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘So – this proposing to marry someone thing – advice?’ is closed to new replies.