Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • So, this HTC Desire thingy ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

With O2 at the mo and ready to upgrade but they are not moving anywhere on deals for the iPhone, been with them for 5 years with 2 phones and they are not interested

After the thread about the HTC the other day i got thinking:

Tmobile are doing the HTC Desire for £20 a month on an 18 month contract with 300 minutes, 300 texts (unlimited with the booster ?) and unlimited internet, the handset is £129, now this sounds like an amazing deal when you consider the iPhone contacts on O2 start at £30 and £179 for the handset

Techradar's review of the phone just sums it up as pretty much awesome:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-679515/review

Has anybody got one in thier hands at the moment that can comment, also whats Tmobiles network coverage like ?

oldgit
    Free Member

I've got the HTC HD2 with T-Mobile. I use it for business and pay £30 for unlimited and I've never managed to get outside the tarrif.
    Coverage has been fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bloke posted about ordering one the other day – think his deal was good too.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Desire not actually released yet!

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yeah thats the thread i saw, pretty good deal, you can even get them for £15 a month if you go for a 24 month contract.

fbk
    Free Member

I'm looking to upgrade my phone this month and the Desire certainly seems to tick a lot of boxes – the reviews are very favourable; a friend's got the HD2 and loves it.

It seems to offer a slightly higher spec and greater flexibility than the iPhone but I guess you won't have quite as much scope for "apps" & add ons.

I can't offer any hands on experience (are they actually available yet?) but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

tragically1969
    Free Member

ooOOoo

Imminent though, just thought we may have a Tmobile employee or somebody with access to one within the STW collective !

stumpy01

I'm looking to change contract from Voda to potentially T-Mobile and was wondering about this as well.

Normally I got for Sony Ericssons and was going to go for the W995, which is free if I go for £20/month on 300mins/300texts + booster pack thing over 24 months or £15/month for same package paying £68 for the phone.
    I did wonder if it would be worth getting the HTC desire instead and paying a bit more. Not sure though…….HTC & the iPhone seem to have the only touchscreens I have used that just work although I'm not sure about the whole touchscreen thing in general…..

funkynick

ooOOoo… if the Desire isn't realised yet, then how come I have one sat next to me on my desk? :o) It was sent through from T-Mobile on Saturday morning… but I believe they are now out of stock!

It's my first smartphone, so can't really compare it to anything else, and have only had it about 4 days, but so far it seems to be rather good and very easy to use. It's fast, looks pretty good for a phone I think, the display is beautifully clear and really nice to look at and with the multitouch stuff in Android 2.1 it's lovely to use too…

I'd definitely recommend it if you are after a smartphone. The only thing the JesusPhone has over any of the Android phones is the number of apps, but I would imagine that will change as more phones like this come out.

tragically1969
    Free Member

funkynick

Whats it like size wise, some of the reviews comment its a bit bigger than you would expect, its still pockatable easily ?

funkynick

fbk… I'd say ultimately there is far more scope for add-ons and apps on the Android OS than the iPhone one purely due to Android being fully open source and you are able to install non-Market apps without having to jailbreak your phone with all the risks that entails.

As I said above, currently there are more apps for the iPhone, but that will change as more and more Android phones like the Desire hit the market.

funkynick

After reading various reports I had horrible thoughts that it would be huuuuuge… but as it turns out it's smaller than I thought it would be, and sits really nicely in my hands (which aren't huge).

When I compared it to my old Nokia 6210 Navigator, it's taller and wider but a lot thinner, and sits pretty nicely in a pocket. Took it out for a run last night as well, and although I could tell it was in my jacket pocket, it wasn't too bad.

The only thing, as with all these things, is that the battery life isn't the best, but with lots of playing about (it's new after all) it still had about 25% of charge left last night… that's after using the GPS for a 50 min run, and playing You-Tube vids, and other surfing on WiFi…

fwb2006
    Free Member

I am also Desire owner (got mine Saturday morning too) and so far am well impresed with it. I was new to Android and maybe had some of the concerns about the whole operating system stuff, I should not have bothered thinking about it. The apps available for Android are really pretty good (yes, even an Iplayer equivalent, where's that on your Iclones??) the enthusiasm you can get from people of android forums is obvious. The whole fixed memory, fixed battery, have to use itunes meant I would not get a iclone, nor would I ever. Tmobile have so craking deals at the moment, if you think the desire is too much the Legend is very nice indeed.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Hmmm all sounding good, might give O2 one last chance to some up with a deal, which they won't of course

I have to admit i like the look of the Legend over the Desire but its not on the TMobile site anymore.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I stand corrected, you early adopters you 🙂

I'm waiting for the X10 myself, but the desire is still desirable.

How well built would you say it is? Metal housing?

funkynick

I believe the Legend is gonna be exclusive to Vodafone…

funkynick

The phone feels pretty solid to me, although it is plastic there does not seem to be any flex or bend in it, and feels good, although the Legend, being machined out of a block of alu, would be more solid still…

But the Desire feels far from being cheap and plasticy..

mogrim

I've got a Nexus One, which is pretty much the same phone:

Good points: slick interface, android is pretty good, lots of apps available, huge screen.

Bad points: battery life if you use it a lot (esp. web, bluetooth…) Price.

tragically1969
    Free Member

ooOOoo

Not metal housing, thats exclusive to the Legend i think, the techradar review suggests the build qaulity is good and solid

funkynick

mogrim… is the N1 even officially released over here? I've not seen it on any of the networks yet.

I'd not say the Desire was particularly expensive, I paid more on my last contract for my Nokia 6210 than I am now.

mogrim

Mine's a grey import, here to Spain. And as you say, price is relative.

spooky_b329

I'm liking the look of the Desire…shame it looks as expensive as the iphone if you want to buy it on Prepay though 🙁

Marmite
    Free Member

funkynick does t-mobile brand their hansets at all? I really dislike vodafone for the branding they seem to put everywhere. iphone doesn't allow it so i'm ok for now but Desire is one I am seriously thinking about as a replacement…..

fwb2006
    Free Member

No branding bar the boot up screen

Marmite
    Free Member

fwb2006 cool good news indeed, sounding better all the time, though I have uintil the 17th July (thought it was sooner) so plenty of time to see what Apple bring out!

billybob
    Free Member

apparently the desire is coming soon on o2

Marmite
    Free Member

Billybob, where did you hear that?

tragically1969
    Free Member
    dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I'll be getting the Legend when I upgrade from my HTC Hero, but the Desire looks like a good middle ground & that price isn't too bad.
    Although, see how much more it costs each month to get the phone for free – say it's £10/month then you might as well do that as it'd be the same as paying outright now.

Expansys.co.uk occasionally have a good deal on where you can get an unbranded phone on the same network & tariff and it's almost exactly the same deal. I actually did better than going to T-Mobile direct by using them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

does t-mobile brand their hansets at all?

I've got a T Mob HD2 and although the latest HTC rom upgrade has been available on the HTC website since January, I can't use it because the phone is branded to T Mob. T Mob are showing no interest in releasing the update 👿

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Dibbs – have a look on XDA-Developers.com put HardSPL on it, then you can flash the updated ROM onto the phone (use something like SPD back up to save all your data on the phone – things on your memory card wont be touched)

I did that pretty much as soon as i got the phone.

tho saying that – it does invalidate your warranty, but there are instructions on how to return the phone to factory settings if you need to for warranty purposes

billybob
    Free Member

That said – I'm in the same situation as the original poster, I went through to 02 retentions a couple days ago & they said what phones are you looking at & I mentioned the desire & the iphone, they wouldn't offer me a better deal on the iphone than on the website if I was a new customer & didn't say anything about the desire coming to o2.

Now if they were switched on you'd think they'd say just hold on sec we've got the desire at the end of the month just display some patience…

tragically1969
    Free Member

billybob

Worth trying retentions again, they offered me an 8GB iPhone 3G for £24 a month, i think it depends who you get on the other end of the phone.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

looks like i'll have one in a couple of months; virgin just got 'em too and i'm due an upgrade. nice.

billybob
    Free Member

billybob

Worth trying retentions again, they offered me an 8GB iPhone 3G for £24 a month, i think it depends who you get on the other end of the phone.

They're too late now – just got a desire from Carphone Warehouse – to be fair to o2 they offered me the iphone 3g for the same price – but again it can be found on the front page of their webstore & it's a refurb with only 100mins talk time (or at least that's what they offered me!)

Marmite
    Free Member

billybob, i'll be interested in your opinion of it…..

billybob
    Free Member

so far impressed – mildly spooked by getting contact cards when updating it with facebook – anyone who put there mobile contact details in there is now in my phone…

I like it very much, my first smart phone so am pretty impressed with what you can do.

Flaperon

Anyone thinking about flashing a custom ROM – wait for a week or two to make sure the phone works properly. HTC will not honour warranties for phones where the bootloader has been unlocked.

grunty
    Free Member

Had mine almost a week now. This is my 3rd smart phone, previous 2 were MDA 2 & 3 running Windows Mobile.

The Desire / Android OS is WAY better!!!

stumpy01

Bought one of these today on t-mobile & so far am well impressed.

Not too big, easy to set-up screen works well although text entry if u have large fingers might be a pain.

Not sure I'm that impressed with Facebook taking over a bit, but can always remove/deactivate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So, this HTC Desire thingy ?’ is closed to new replies.