Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So, this Alexa woman…
  • eulach

Firstly, can she play music from a connected hard drive from a voice command?
    Secondly, what hardware do you recommend – starter pack?
    Thirdly, what does Amazon do with all the data and does it listen to your conversations?
    Fourthly, what else can she do?
    PS I know she’s not really a woman.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s not Amazon you have to worry about. It’s the CIA / NSA / Chinese / Lizard Overlords

Jase
    Free Member

Fourthly, what else can she do?

Not what I think you’re hoping for unfortunately

vongassit
    Free Member

cranberry
    Free Member

Secondly, what hardware do you recommend – starter pack?

Get the one with the smart hub built in – saves buying/having a separate hub when you start to buy smart things.

Hue bulbs or smart light switches can be handy.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s not designed for that and requires 3rd party hardware and software. So not really (things may have changed in the last year though).

Depends what you want it for.

Whatever the deep state wants.

Turn on your lights.

cranberry
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s not designed for that and requires 3rd party hardware and software

Not totally sure if you are replying to my post or that of Vongassit…

If mine, the new Echo comes in 2 different flavours – with/without a smart hub built in. Without is a few quid cheaper, but it’ll cost you more to add that functionality later when you want to control something with it and you will need two devices rather than one.

scaredypants

Firstly, can she play music from a connected hard drive from a voice command?

mymedia for alexa – clunks a little bit but yes, it can do that, at least from a networked PC

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not totally sure if you are replying to my post or that of Vongassit…

The op.

Not sure what you’re referring to now. Can you play music from a hdd easily now? A year ago it was possible but convoluted.

Drac

You don’t need a smart hub or an echo Plus you can get bulbs that don’t need a seperate Hub.

I’ve got 2 dots and the kids have an echo plus each, I got them on offer so paid the same as an Echo is. Never had to use the built in smart hub as I got a cracking deal on LIFX Colour bulbs which use an app instead of a hub.

They do nothing with your data but use it so Alexa can ‘learn’ and for stats they’re very open about it.

I’ve not looked into them playing from an external hard drive so can’t answer that one.

spooky_b329

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2R0NSKtVA0[/video]

wilburt
    Free Member

Two Dots and three tp link plugs here, no hub.

Dot one is connected to a proper hifi and plays spotify.

TV and apple box/sky etc is on a TP link plug so “Alexa TV on/off” works nicely and its also set to turn off at 1am to avoid stand by power use. That plug also has a power consumption thing which is vagely intresting if you like that sort of thing.

Outside security lights are on another plug “Alexa outside lights on/off” also works nice.

Outside sitting around type lights are in a seperate supply “Alexa Garden lights on/off”.

Upstairs Alexa gets used for radio/controlling lights/setting alarms and asking silly questions. I think I need another for the kitchen for easier use if lights and music in there.

They do listen in but dont care really, I have nothing to hide could even be useful.

Dots btw have a line out which I prefer for music.

cranberry
    Free Member

Mine are linked to TV, via Harmony remote and a tp-link plug.

“Alexa, good morning” swithches on a light, starts up the TV, Humax and sound bar, then reads the weather and news headlines.

I do have a Tado system to fit, Somfy blinds to integrate and a wifi switch for the main lights in the lounge, but there I need to sort out some cabling.

eulach

So other than turning the lights on and off, recording the intimacies of your life for the CIA / NSA / Chinese / Lizard Overlords, making fun of your gran or playing Spotify, she’s not much use then?

allthepies
    Free Member

It can’t play music from a local hard disc/usb stick etc.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s good if you’ve got an Amazon music account, as I found out at mate’s house on New Year’s Eve: you just about out a song and it plays it.

phil5556

We’ve been staying with friends this week (in Seattle so no idea if it works any differently in the UK) and they have it. There’s a speaker on the shelf that seemingly plays music from a few different online sources and you can talk to it to do various things.

They’ve got light switches all over so lights are controlled by it, the fire and heating can be switched on/off and it joins up various tasks. Saying goodnight switches everything off.

I think he can even lock/unlock the front door with it, it has a pin code lock and the electric garage door.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So, this Alexa woman…’ is closed to new replies.